Africa
USA/Canada
Mex/S.Amer
Europe
Asia/M.East
Member of
Life Member of SCI, DSC, GSCO, HSC, NRA and FNAWS
Hunted
Botswana, Cameroon, CAR, Chad, Ethiopia, Mozambique, Namibia, RSA, Tanzania, Uganda, Zambia and Zimbabwe. US, Canada, Arctic, Mexico, Argentina, Austria, France, Spain, Portugal, U.K., Romania, Tadjikistan, Turkey, Nepal, China, Australia and New Zealand
Day 1

With all of the kids out of the house and our youngest off to college this year, Debra is able to travel more often so I am happy to have her along for this trip. We have never been to this part of Europe before so are looking forward to the overall experience. The Alpine Ibex has been on my bucket list for many years but I never made it a priority until this year. I read an article recently that Switzerland has closed hunting of Ibex to all non-residents so I did some research on the remaining places to hunt one. With the ever changing world we live in today, I decided to take this hunt as soon as possible and was fortunate enough to get a license for this year.

I contacted Elio Giobergia the owner of Hubertus Hunting Tours based in the Czech Republic as he was very knowledgeable of the hunt and has established contacts in Austria. Through our correspondence, I explained to him my limitations due to the arthritis in my knees so he searched out the most suitable area for me to hunt. Also, he recommended November as there should be snow at the higher elevations as well as the possibility of being the rutting period which will make the mature billies more accessible. Fortunately, I have recovered from the 110 miles on horseback a couple of weeks back and feel relatively ready for the challenge.

Our flight this morning takes us from Austin to Newark on United where we connect with Austrian Air for the overnight flight to Vienna. We arrive in the morning and have a couple of hour drive to the small town of Waidhofen an der Ybbs where they have organized a hotel for the three day hunt. Debra will enjoy the hotel and spa while I am hunting each day. At the end of the hunt we will go back to Vienna for some sightseeing and an evening at the Vienna Opera.

Elio's wife Katerina took the lead on all of the non-hunting travel planning and did a stellar job. Their communications and attention to detail have been excellent throughout the entire process.

Austria6.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Day 2

We arrived Vienna a little after 8AM and going through passport control and customs was a breeze. I chose to use the outfitters rifle for this trip which of course simplified entry. Our driver was waiting outside for us and as we exited the airport quickly and found it to be a cool, foggy morning.

The drive took a couple of hours to reach the small town of Waidhofen an der Ybbs with most of the trip shrouded by fog. A beautifully classic European small town with beautiful architecture and tidy homes. Katerina was texting me as we landed and met us at the hotel upon arrival. She arranged an early check in for us so after a coffee and visit, Debra and I were down for some rest after the overnight trip.

In the early evening, I met with the local outfitter Rudolf and Katerina to go over the schedule for tomorrow. The days are short now with sunrise at 7AM and sunset around 4:30. Rudolf said we should have nice weather tomorrow in the low 30’s and up to the high 40’s. He and his brother Martin have been scouting and have seen several ibex over the past few days. My license is for a Class 1 animal which means it will be at least 10 years old. His brother Martin would be my guide and the plan is that he will collect me from the hotel at 6:30 in the morning and the hunting area is nearby, about 15 Km’s.

The seven hour time difference has me feeling the jet lag so it will be an early evening. The hotel has an excellent restaurant and local Austrian cuisine was very good so after dinner we were off to bed.

Austria1.jpg

Day 3

Martin was prompt and we went straight away to the mountains. As we drove, the fog was very dense at times which I knew would be a problem. Once we left the valley and started up the logging roads to higher elevations the fog cleared. Somewhere around 2500’-3000’ above sea level we would break free of the fog.

While driving we came around a corner on a switchback and came upon 3 Mouflon (a ram in the 25” range along with 2 females). They quickly disappeared into the forest.

Just about the elevation where it cleared, Martin stopped and we walked a trail on a sidehill for about twenty minutes where we reached a seat overlooking an alpine meadow. During the walk, we encountered 7 chamois along the way. We stayed at this place overlooking the meadow for about an hour but as the sun rose the fog started to rise up the mountain and closed in on the meadow. Martin decided to change locations so we quietly backed out from the meadow and walked along the logging road to another overlook.

At the next location, I had 8 red deer (spike, 5x5 and hinds) cross a clearing to one side of me up the mountain. A group of 3 female Roe Deer strolled through another meadow some time later. The fog stayed settled for most of the morning which cut down visibility.

Austria2.jpg

Day 3 (Continued)

After another hour or so we moved up the mountain to get out of the fog and came upon a mature 12 point stag bedded down in a meadow that Martin estimated to be 11 KG.

We spent the next hour or so glassing meadows but no sign of ibex yet.

As morning gave way to afternoon, Martin suggested we go to a small village cafe nearby and have brunch. The meal was very nice starting with soup, then fried egg with sausage and potatoes on a bed of purée spinach.

It was apparent that the fog was still heavy over the area where Martin and Rudolf had been scouting and encountering ibex this week. So, we went to the other side of the mountain where it appears to be clear. We spent most of the afternoon looking for ibex and chamois in the alpine meadows. We saw two female Chamois with one baby feeding in a deep valley then enter the forest. While I was glassing, I watched one male about a mile away move across a hillside at a steady pace. With the Chamois rut beginning, the males are out searching for females.

Austria10.jpg

Day 3 (Continued)

Shortly after three o’clock, Martin said we will go back to the other side of the mountain to the areas where we had hunted ibex earlier today.

As we arrived, the fog had broken up a bit and visibility was certainly better than this morning but not completely clear. We sat in the first location overlooking a steep valley and some limestone cliffs but did not see anything. The day was growing short and Martin wanted to go back to the first place we sat this morning as he had seen Ibex there while scouting earlier this week. We made our way slowly into the alpine meadow and as we approached Martin stopped as he saw something moving in the trees on the opposite side of the meadow. We sat down and waited. By my estimation we had about another 45 minutes of hunting light left. The fog started to creep up the valley and really cut down the light as the sun was setting. Way down below us you could hear the faint clip clop of horse hooves on the road.

Suddenly, Martin said “look, look there Ibex” as he pointed uphill about 170 yards above us. A mature Ibex Billy was trotting through the trees, somewhat skylined and his horns were obvious to the naked eye. Martin was making a sound like a goat to get his attention as I followed him with the crosshairs. The Ibex stopped and looking downhill towards us Martin said “shoot, shoot”! as I settled the crosshairs on his shoulder, I could see the billy was standing slightly quartering towards us. I squeezed the trigger on the Blaser 30-06 and you could hear the report of a solid hit. The ibex immediately went down and I reloaded as he struggled to get up. Then Martin said “shoot again” and just as he got to his feet I put a shot in him just for insurance. Ibex are tough animals and we were quickly running out of daylight so we didn’t want to have risk of a night time tracking job.

We made our way to the Billy, I was a bit slower than Martin so as I arrived and he congratulated me with the traditional “Waidemanns heil”. He handed me a sprig from the spruce tree, then placed a sprig in the Ibex Billy’s mouth we paid respect. Martin then showed me the horns and that the ibex is 12 years old. An amazing day of hunting, and what a relief to have my Alpine Ibex on the first day. We struggled to get some photographs as the light was quickly fading and then we descended the mountain about a quarter mile to the nearest logging road. As I waited in the dark while Rudolf took Martin for his vehicle I recalled the day and what a Blessing it has been to hunt in these beautiful mountains for such an iconic European animal.
Austria5.jpg

This photo shows the steepness of the terrain.
Austria6.jpg

The exit wound proved he was quartering more than originally thought.

I was back at the hotel by about seven and met Elio, Katerina and Debra for a drink to celebrate the Ibex. Another great meal in the restaurant with a nice bottle of Austrian red wine followed by a whiskey and cigar. I bumped the pick up time tomorrow by an hour so I can enjoy a cup of coffee and a light breakfast.

Day 4

Martin arrived at 7:30 and we were in the mountains a little after 8. The fog was ever present but we went to higher elevations in search of Chamois. Not a half hour into the day we spotted two females heading up a canyon into the forest. We carried on to several locations glassing alpine meadows above and valleys below. The weather is nice, in the 30’s and a light breeze. Fortunately the fog is well below us so visibility near perfect.

By about 10 we parked and walked along a trail and made way to a place Martin wanted to watch so we would sit for an hour. About 45 minutes later, Martin told me he wanted to go and glass the opposite side of the valley. He had shown me pictures of many Chamois so I knew what I was looking for. I remained in this place for about an hour when Martin came back to get me. He had not spotted any Chamois but wanted to walk to another location to glass.

Austria3.jpg

Austria9.jpg

My guide Martin glassing for Chamois

Day 4 (Continued)

After a half hour or so we came to the edge of a steep canyon and he stopped and raised his binoculars. I eased up behind to take a look but before I could get my binoculars up to my eyes he said “good one, good one" and I dropped down to get a rest for a shot. The dark, black color made the male obvious as he scampered up the side of the canyon. Several Chamois ran out from below him, side hilling the canyon as I struggled to locate the male in the scope. Martin was doing his best to direct me to his location and as I scanned through the trees I caught a glimpse of him but there was no shot. He took a few steps and then disappeared.

A few moments later Martin said “moving right, he is moving right” and I scanned the hillside with my naked eye. I caught his movement and got back on the rifle as Martin was making a goat sound to stop the Chamois. It worked, he stopped momentarily and was almost broadside, just a very slight quarter so I settled the crosshairs on his shoulder and squeezed the trigger. At the sound of the hit, the Chamois launched straight up in the air on his hind legs with Martin saying “good shot”. The Chamois ran uphill less than 10 yards, fell over and rolled back down a bit.

Martin glassed the hillside and saw where the Chamois lay dead then congratulated me on the shot – 188 meters. The silenced Blaser rifle with Zeiss optics was well tuned so all I had to do was make the shot.
Austria11.jpg

It took us about twenty minutes to reach the Chamois and we once again honored the animal with Waidmanns heil. Martin handed me a bottle of water and we enjoyed a snack while gazing at the beautiful trophy. He aged him at 9 years, a very nice mature male. The winter coat was near perfect so I decided to keep the entire skin for a lifesize mount. Martin had given me a light rucksack when we started out this morning so once field dressed, we loaded the whole Chamois into the rucksack.
Austria12.jpg

Europe is a very, very special place to hunt. With Switzerland closing its Ibex hunting to foreigners, the opportunity to take an Alpine Ibex will only become rarer. Congratulations on two very fine animals.

Day 4 (Continued)
Europe is a very, very special place to hunt. With Switzerland closing its Ibex hunting to foreigners, the opportunity to take an Alpine Ibex will only become rarer. Congratulations on two very fine animals.
Thank you @Red Leg,
It was truly an honor to hunt these great animals in such a fine place. Being a landowner and steward of wildlife I could see the time, effort and care that has gone into managing the area and applaud that.

Day 4 (Continued)

Thank you @Red Leg,
It was truly an honor to hunt these great animals in such a fine place. Being a landowner and steward of wildlife I could see the time, effort and care that has gone into managing the area and applaud that.
Absolutely. My hunt in Austria in October was extraordinary. Incredible place and wonderful people.

I'm looking at this same outfit for Roe buck in the Czech Republic this summer. Nice to read a great report on them.

@JES Adventures , I never get tired of reading your hunting reports. You do a fine job, both on the hunts and the reports. Congratulations on the two excellent animals you harvested.

Waidmanns heil @JES Adventures ! Austria is a fairytale place to hunt at . Thanks for sharing your adventure!

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Could you give some more information on the area you were hunting? Was this a state block or private land? How large was the overall hunting area you had access to? I’m not knowledgeable on how hunting areas are organized in Austria.

JES, thank you for taking the time to write up your adventures and your willingness to share them here with us. I along with many others truly enjoy your hunts.

Great Job. Nice animals. I always enjoy your write ups. Lovely scenery. Looks like a wonderful hunt.
Bruce

I'm looking at this same outfit for Roe buck in the Czech Republic this summer. Nice to read a great report on them.
You cannot go wrong @buck wild as they are well organized and very professional. We are planning a family trip to Czech Republic in a couple of years to
combine hunting and touring.
My ancestors were all Czech so I want my children to have the experience.

Congratulations on a successful hunt. Could you give some more information on the area you were hunting? Was this a state block or private land? How large was the overall hunting area you had access to? I’m not knowledgeable on how hunting areas are organized in Austria.
Thank you @375Fox. The area is private, according to Martin it has been owned by their family over 200 years. My understanding is the total area is 2500 hectares but it seemed much larger as we hunted it. Access was by logging road which went to the high elevations. In addition to Ibex and Chamois they hunt Capercallie, Mouflon, Red Deer and Roe Deer on the property.

Sounds and looks amazing! Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ekaterina Lobach North Fork Bullets

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!