AUSTRALIA: Old Ducks & The Three-oh-three...

BenKK

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Shocker of a wet season this year, so the land is really hurting already with the worst still ahead.

Have been asked to thin numbers around a little thermal spring that’s copping a flogging, and also to get some meat for people and dogs - including one hard-core little four-legged fighter currently nursing a buffalo horn stab wound to the throat.

Anyway, stalked a mob and got a nice youngster at about 100m. The rest gathered around, so I got a couple of really old ducks before they took-off.

I’m new to using a .303, but the sights aren’t too shabby once you get used to them. Factory Federal ammunition, 180 grain softs. Put ‘em down quick and neat.

IMG_7941.JPG

IMG_7940.JPG

By the looks of them i'd say you saved them a slow and painful death with a quick bullet.
I doubt either of them would have survived the dry.
Good job.

yes they certainly look poor.
not a whole lot of meat on them.
certainly did them a favour, as well as not wasting them.
I learned to shoot with a 22 and a no1mkIII, and quite like the sights as you mention.
I had the 22 sights changed to resemble the 303 ones.
I bought mine from the surplus military store brand new for 10 pounds, and could have got a used one for 5 pounds.just went in there in my school uniform, paid the money, walked out and caught the bus home. no one even took any notice.
I shot that rifle in school cadet competitions at the dean range port Adelaide using the issued mkVII ammo.
it shot a lot of goats later on with riverbrand reload soft points, and the rifle by then had a bushnell command post 4x on it.
bruce.

With all of the "good" rifles you have, what prompted you to take a S.M.L.E. out on this venture? Mind you I'm not insinuating that those old 303(s) are bad rifles since they "fought" two pretty good sized wars.

So a buffalo is a duck? (n)

Did them a favor Ben, those buffs look quite thin !

With all of the "good" rifles you have, what prompted you to take a S.M.L.E. out on this venture? Mind you I'm not insinuating that those old 303(s) are bad rifles since they "fought" two pretty good sized wars.

My “go-to” is on its way to a gunsmith for a modification, and I’m currently transitioning between big bore rifles (borrowed one to get me by in the meantime). Plus, variety is the spice of life! The old .303 is pretty fun and effective in certain situations.

My “go-to” is on its way to a gunsmith for a modification, and I’m currently transitioning between big bore rifles (borrowed one to get me by in the meantime). Plus, variety is the spice of life! The old .303 is pretty fun and effective in certain situations.

tell us about the transition ben.
enquiring minds need to know.
also, what mods for the go to.
bruce.

G’day Bruce, although I’ve loved my experience with the big fifties, as I get a little older this hereditary condition sometimes makes it unpleasant to shoot them when I’m struggling. Plus, I really like Mauser actions. So, I’m getting something made that is still considered a big bore but it’s just gentler... the hated and humble .458WM. I better duck for cover admitting that!

And with my .300H&H, after three years of merry use, I suddenly discovered it would “jam” just days before leaving for Africa. I found the problem and a temporary solution, and things worked out. Basically, and I don’t know the perfect way to describe this, I was at a point where I needed to load a bunch of new brass that I had ready. The new brass had a larger diameter rebate (might be the wrong word), and this stopped the extractor from rotating completely by about a millimetre, sometimes. So to counter this I simply had to gently touch it as I loaded to align it with the slot in the action. I might not be making much sense because I don’t know all the right language. Also, I’ve decided to get a Wisner safety fitted.

I’ve got use of a .416 Rigby to keep me safe in the meantime.

By the looks of them i'd say you saved them a slow and painful death with a quick bullet.
I doubt either of them would have survived the dry.
Good job.

Agreed!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ZaneDenova

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg