Australia, hunting, game variety

There's no official list to my knowledge, but these are the rifle hunted species as far as I'm concerned...a mature male, free range of each species.

Rabbit
Hare
Fox
Cat
Dingo/wild dog
Goat
Pig (boar)
Donkey
Brumby
Camel
Buffalo
Scrub bull
Banteng
Hog deer
Fallow
Chital
Rusa
Red
Sambar

For me, I just have hoggie and banteng to go...of course probably the two hardest to access.
Thanks Blacks. I had never thought to list them all. I remember reading your article on your camel hunt. It sounded like a great experience. I had a banteng hunt cancelled a couple of years ago. Sambar and camel are on the horizon.

Thanks Blacks. I had never thought to list them all. I remember reading your article on your camel hunt. It sounded like a great experience. I had a banteng hunt cancelled a couple of years ago. Sambar and camel are on the horizon.
Out of interest Blacks, have you ever written a list of our upland game that we hunt with a shotgun?

Out of interest Blacks, have you ever written a list of our upland game that we hunt with a shotgun?

No I haven't mate. To be honest I'm not much of a shotgunner and mine only sees daylight very occasionally! ;)

This got interesting.
My initial thoughts were around the fact we didn’t get any exotics. I suppose they are not exotic if they are local but

we just got short changed in that we didn’t get lions, tigers, grizzly bears

Really any huntable species are imported. I believe you can hunt ostrich in Africa. Not sure what to do with it but in Australia the Emu a similar flightless bird is protected unless you can get a permit to cull if numbers are too high or maybe in drought.

I’m not really a trophy hunter but fascinated by Dangerous game. I’d mount a set of Buff horns if I get to shoot a nice specimen. Money location and family have been reasons that I haven’t hunted widely but hunting pigs never gets old , spotlighting foxes and cats is good. Even seasoned hunters enjoy spotlighting a rabbits. It’s probably how most of us started shooting.

I am coming to Africa next year. :A Banana::A Camping:
This will be my first guided hunt first overseas trip
My outfitter Game4Africa process meat commercially so I’m happy with a cull hunt and the deal they offered me.
No DG it’s out of my budget but I’m keen to see the Cape Buffalo in their natural habitat. I don’t think he has any Lions roaming around though

@sambarhunter I know Water Valley has have some imported species but are the animals you listed found elsewhere?

I know Ostrich farming went by the way so I guess there could be some ostrich running wild released from farms.

I googled Blackbuck recently but what I read said the black buck running wild have been eradicated

Sika? Are roaming wild in Australia ?

I’m not a trophy hunter but Blackbuck and Gemsbuk appeal to me.and DG.

Ahh that makes sense. I hadn’t heard any talk of these before, not as a huntable species anyway.
But if you are looking for a hunting buddy I’m interested.

Wow, there's plenty of half empty glasses around here amongst the Aussie crowd.

On the contrary my glass is half full.

I have unlimited access to the best and biggest herd of legally hunted Sambar deer in the World. No expensive tags, no season and few limitations.

In my past I have been blessed to have hunted Banteng, Buffalo, wild Ox, boar, goat, six species of deer, feral horses and donkeys, rabbits, cats dogs, quail, geese and ducks, and for less than the cost of a moose tag I can hop on a plane to N.Z and roam the mountains for Chamois and Tahr at minimal cost.
Not a bad deal if you ask me.

If you think they have it better in the U.S then inform yourself about the realities that marginalises non-residents of any State, requires the purchase of expensive tags IF and WHEN you are successful in the "draw" and limits you to a set season which in some cases lasts but a few weeks with a limit to a specific area and tag description (Doe or buck) accorded to your lucky draw.
Learn about the reality of how long it can take to draw a specific tag in certain States before you are allowed to hunt.
I'm certainly not denigrated the U.S system of game and hunting regulations, simply pointing out that we as Aussies have opportunities that for those that are dedicated and motivated are very liberal.

It is only limited to your effort and how hard you want to achieve.

The best hunters I know spend countless hours visiting areas, knocking on doors, scouting public access areas and then hunt hard and kill their game.

I know Sambar hunters who put in incredible amounts of time back-packing into extremely remote and harsh country living like dogs off meagre rations in freezing and dangerous conditions to scout and locate potential animals (I am one of those suckers).
I don't hear many of them complaining about hunting opportunities in Aus.

Our "game" may not in fact be native, but that may be one of our greatest advantages.
Paul T
I a free with you mate. I can't understand why Americans go thru so many weapons when some of the only need 2 boxes to last them a lifetime of hunting.
In Australia there are probably roo shooters that wear out a barrel each year, we have no season on deer in NSW at the moment so can hunt any time. People that say they have nowhere to hunt just need an R licence and they can access millions of acres of public land.
God bless Australia we have great hunting if you get off your bum.
We also have the SSAA farmer assist program where you hunt to help a farmer.
Cheers
Bob

I'll raise you a Canada! Having said that though Aussies are great folks... kind of southern Canadians...
Rick Cox
Other way around mate you canaks are like us ozzies but with a funny accent. Mate the Canadians are really nice people I enjoyed your country especially the Calgary indoor shooting centre.
Cheers Bob Nelson

You're talking about your own personal experience of access to private land and public access as a Victorian.

I'm not complaining about my own access as I'm a Victorian, but I like to look at things from a perspective a bit further than my own.

Millions of acres of public land in vic high country aren't much help to a Qld, NT or WA bloke without any private access in his home state or money to travel or for a guide is what I'm getting at. That's what the privileged amongst us often fail to see. In the US within your own state it's pretty affordable and the resource seems less abused.

The non native aspect may be a benefit, to some who like to be able to treat the resource with apathy it's the reason why the absolute vast majority of dead deer I've found look like a version of this. I think a deer's life is worth a bit more than that personally.

So you end up with half the potential hunters in Australia having bugger all places to go and many of those that do happy to drop 5 stags in a trip just to lop the head off and leave the rest to rot - legally. I don't look at that as the greatest system going around.
View attachment 288933
J P Bowhunter
Yes it does vary from state to state. There's great deer hunting in WA if you approach people you should be able to find some one that will let you hunt.
In NSW, QLD we have a company called inland hunting properties. It lines you up to hunt on property for a fee. I usually hunt free of charge but I also don't mind paying as it helps our farmers in hard times.
I'm hunting in April on one of those properties for pigs, deer and goats and I don't mind paying the farmers for the privilege.
Surely they have something similar in other states.
The SSAA also has the farmer assist program where you hunt for free and help the farmers at the same time.
Anyone who says the haven't got anywhere to hunt in Australia just needs to get off their bum and do something or take up golf.
Cheers
Bob

Mark.

In the Northern Territory there are Banteng, buffalo, wild bulls, boars, horses, donkeys, Sambar deer, Rusa deer, Chital deer, Camels and other exotics.
There is also a Geese and Waterfowl season.
Apart from the Sambar deer, the other deer are only available on one or two private game ranch enclosures.
The rest of the "game" are available via outfitters operating in various parts of the State/Territory. Note there is and can be a huge separation in physical distance between some of these species.

In Queensland there are wild bulls (feral cattle) feral hogs, goats, Chital deer, Rusa deer, Red deer, Fallow deer and wild dogs.
Most if not all of these species are available via outfitters either free range or game ranch.
There is also small game such as rabbits, foxes, hares and feral cats.

In N.S.W there are Red deer, Fallow deer, Chital deer, Rusa and Sambar deer.
As well as hogs, goats and small varmints such as foxes, rabbits, hares and feral cats etc.
There are outfitters offering Red, Fallow, hogs and goats.

In Victoria we have Sambar deer, fallow, Red deer, Hog deer pigs, goats, foxes, rabbits and hares.
There are outfitters offering hunts for Sambar and fallow and some small game hunting.
Note we have restrictions (seasons and licencing) on Sambar, Hog deer, fallow and Red deer in Victoria.

In S.A there is a prominent, and large, game ranch offering most of the deer species via an outfitted hunt.
There is also limited free range hunting for fallow and Red deer and small game.

Note to the best of my knowledge game ranch hunting/offering is illegal except for QLD. N.T and S.A.

Note there are legal requirements specific to ALL States and Territories regarding the hunting of ANYTHING and it is most restrictive for non-resident aliens specifically so those intending to bring in firearms from overseas.

Before engaging ANY outfitter in ANY State of Australia ensure and request formal proof of their Corporate licence (business licence for the commercial use of firearms).

This is a very brief and generic outline.

Should you have more questions feel free to contact me.

Paul.
PaulT
There is now no season on Sambar in Victoria mate, they can also be hunted legally under light on private property as they are now considered vermin
This may have changed since the bushfires just check.
Cheers mate Bob

Bob Nelson,
Sambar in Vic are definitely NOT considered, or classified as, vermin. Their numbers are excessive in some places hence the Governors Order In Council which allows some of the game regs to be waived in specific circumstances to allow the destruction of problem deer on private property; with the written consent, in a specified format, of the land owner. There is also a closed season in the Alpine National Park, although I suspect that this does not relate to any game management objectives

NOT vermin. NOT feral.

Those two pejorative words are continual misused by our enemies, and I am sure that you are not one of our enemies(y)

Lack of respect for deer amongst both the hunting community, and the non hunting community is perhaps the biggest obstacle that we face.:(

by my definition, all deer are feral in aust, as they are introduced.
they can also be vermin under certain circumstances.
kangaroos can be vermin, but not feral
bruce.

Last edited:
Bob Nelson,
Sambar in Vic are definitely NOT considered, or classified as, vermin. Their numbers are excessive in some places hence the Governors Order In Council which allows some of the game regs to be waived in specific circumstances to allow the destruction of problem deer on private property; with the written consent, in a specified format, of the land owner. There is also a closed season in the Alpine National Park, although I suspect that this does not relate to any game management objectives

NOT vermin. NOT feral.

Those two pejorative words are continual misused by our enemies, and I am sure that you are not one of our enemies(y)

Lack of respect for deer amongst both the hunting community, and the non hunting community is perhaps the biggest obstacle that we face.:(
NEWBY
Thank you for clarification on this. I can only go on the news reports in NSW.
I'm glad to hear they haven't be reclassified to vermin status. That would ruin the Sambar hunting in Victoria. I really enjoy hunting them in the MT Beauty region. They are a challenge and even a ten year-old stag if treated properly.
Thank you again for the clarification Newby
Cheers mate Bob

Bob Nelson,

NOT vermin. NOT feral.

NEWBY
Thank you for clarification on this. I can only go on the news reports in NSW.
I'm glad to hear they haven't be reclassified to vermin status. That would ruin the Sambar hunting in Victoria. I really enjoy hunting them in the MT Beauty region. They are a challenge and even a ten year-old stag if treated properly.
Thank you again for the clarification Newby
Cheers mate Bob

by my definition, all deer are feral in aust, as they are introduced.
they can also be vermin under certain circumstances.
kangaroos can be vermin, but not feral
bruce.

Thank for the opportunity Bruce. Your definition is incorrect, as a check of Oxford will confirm.

"Feral" and "introduced" are not synonymous. "Feral" is of domestic origin, therefore cats, dogs, horses, pigs, goats etc. are feral. Kangaroos, (as you rightly point out), foxes, rabbits, wombats, deer, etc. are not feral.

A secondary definition of feral can simply be "wild", but if one wishes to put this tag on deer, then everything not in captivity, regardless of whether or not it is introduced, is "feral".

"Vermin" is a little less clear, but excessive numbers do not necessarily reduce any species to vermin status. In the case of deer stopping this from happening is the goal of proper game management, which is lacking in Australia, except perhaps with game birds. "Vermin" is a greater pejorative than "feral".

The feral and vermin tags are widely sprayed around by the antis as a way of denigrating deer, which I am sure would not be your intention. (y)

Pest species is an apt description for animal numbers grown past management capability. this can include both domestic and introduced species.

newby,
thank you for clearing that up.
i must ask this.
virtually all the deer in south Australia are from deer farms, (went broke, tree on fence, etc.) suggesting that they have domestic origin.
would you agree.?
bruce.

Von Gruff - I can certainly go along with that up to a point. Where I live, deer are regarded by many as pest, and this is at least partly due to there being too many of them. However in the past when their numbers were far less, their attraction to the easy pickings of succulent gardens could make a relatively small number somewhat of a nuisance.

Bruce, it sounds like we are both old enough to recognise the name "Buckland Park" although I would never call BP a deer farm.

Comparatively small numbers of deer have been farmed for a minute part of their history, and IMO this does not qualify wild populations, regardless of source, for the "feral" tag.

South east SA has some magnificent fallow deer hunting in some country that is superbly suited to fallow and to the hunting of them. My understanding (I have visited, but don't live there) is that some very good work has been done between hunters and landowners in trying to maintain a balance and a population level that enables this to continue. Fingers crossed that my understanding is correct.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marquesgriffin

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois