AUSTRALIA: Has Anyone Hunted Water Buffalo With Carmor Plains Wildlife Reserve?

John J

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
New member doing some research on an Australian water buffalo hunt. Has anyone hunted at
Carmor Plains Wildlife Reserve? They came recommended from a hunting consultant, but I would like to hear if someone here has been there and thier experience. Thanks, John

Two of my business partners have hunted there with Matt and one returned for a second time.
They had glowing reports about the whole operation.

New member doing some research on an Australian water buffalo hunt. Has anyone hunted at
Carmor Plains Wildlife Reserve? They came recommended from a hunting consultant, but I would like to hear if someone here has been there and thier experience. Thanks, John

I'll be buffalo hunting in two weeks but know people do a private hunt. I have never heard a bad word about that outfitter if that's a help.

Can't help you, but just wanted to welcome you to AH. Best of luck if you go on your hunt for water buffalo! I'll be jealous!
Please take pictures and give us a report if you go!
Best

Welcome to AH!

Never been buts its high on my list! Best of luck

Thanks for the responses and the warm welcome. I have been lurking for a while. I bought a 375 H&H and have a CZ 416 Rigby on the way. Yes this place was the reason.

Thanks for the responses and the warm welcome. I have been lurking for a while. I bought a 375 H&H and have a CZ 416 Rigby on the way. Yes this place was the reason.
Gentlemen, our job here is done :)

Good luck on your hunt, it sounds like it will be a great experience.

I've got a hunt booked with Matt in June. Did lots of research. He comes highly recommended.

Can I ask if this is a freerange hunt or fair chase? Not after a shit fight, just wondering is all ;)

Cheers,
Mark.

Fair Chase lots of buffalo he said. Second buffalo at 4K$

Management at $1400 I believe. I'm not into putting numbers on my animals. But I'll provably plan on a management for that price after traveling that far time allowing.

Management at $1400 I believe. I'm not into putting numbers on my animals. But I'll provably plan on a management for that price after traveling that far time allowing.

That's good to know about management bulls

I've got a hunt booked with Matt in June. Did lots of research. He comes highly recommended.
Do you know how to judge a water buffalo? I haven't been able to find much. I have just been looking at pics of them comparing spread and bases. I much prefer a mature animal walking around with confidence if you will over trophy numbers. But I would still like to be able quickly assess. Some do look young to me just looking at the face...maybe I been staring at them to long. I would definitely like to hear your first hand accounts when you get back. I'm debating on a 2018 or 2019 hunt

full

Nice buff. Is that your rifle or a camp loaner? I am thinking about taking mine and dealing with that paperwork. I hear it's not to bad and I hear it's a hastle. Can you provide detail of the hunt please? Shot distance, bullet used ect. Depending how this 416 I'm picking up works out I'll take that iron sighted or use a 375 H&H possibly with a lower power scope.

Nice buff. Is that your rifle or a camp loaner? I am thinking about taking mine and dealing with that paperwork. I hear it's not to bad and I hear it's a hastle. Can you provide detail of the hunt please? Shot distance, bullet used ect. Depending how this 416 I'm picking up works out I'll take that iron sighted or use a 375 H&H possibly with a lower power scope.
Thanks! I used my own rifle. It's a Sako Kodiak 375 H&H. The paperwork is fairly easy. Just have to email the police dept in NT. They will send you the forms. You have to provide a passport size photo, and your carry permit info from the USA. It's really not bad. Once you have the NT gun permit in hand, the airport is a breeze.
You'll also need a tempory visa.
The hunt was great! We saw hundreds of buffalo and pigs every day. I took 2 management bulls and a trophy bull. Along with a cow, which I took with Matt's double rifle. Accommodations are comfortable, and the meals are good. You won't be disappointed.
In the 375, I used Barnes 300gr TSX. They performed flawlessly. I watched all of my bulls fall, so none went very far. I shot all three using frontal shots. Bullets penetrated to the heart, but I still kept shooting as they ran away. More bang for your buck that way!

Picked up the CZ today. I'm about set to book at this place. Just have to wait for the hunting consultant to get back from a hunt in Europe and hammer out the details and figure a total cost hunt, airfare ect. Thanks for the insight TOBY458

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonmark007

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg