AUSTRALIA: Has Anyone Hunted Water Buffalo With Carmor Plains Wildlife Reserve?

Yes, Winchester Model 70 action
DSC02552.jpeg

The 500 NE will certainly do the trick. Bear in mind that it recoils fairly severely.
I’m trying g to help you overcome the problem with just one NE.
It may take a while but I’ll support you!

Actually I was unsure whether to get a 470 or 500 so while I was at the Krieghoff factory I shot both and it didn’t feel all that different on the shoulder but coming back on target took noticeably longer with 500 though I think it all comes down to practise. Both rounds were manageable and it didn’t really clear it up for me.

I had a very hard time deciding which to order and ended up with 470 due to sentiment of my first DG hunt with that calibre but was tempted to change the order to 500 afterwards. To me the choice between the two is largely emotional and discussion of merits rather academic. Obviously 500N.E. with 570grs at 2100fps is more powerful than 470N.E. with 500grs at the same 2100fps but I hazard that if one shoots game with 470 and the game doesn’t die it’s not due to cartridge being not powerful enough. I don’t think there are land animals on this planet for which the performance of 470 could be described as marginal. Having said all that I fear I will sooner or later end up with .50 cal of some sort in my gun cabinet as every big bore aficionado “needs” to have at least one “true” large bore.

Bloody hell thats Beautiful
Thanks, that's an official pic that was sent to me. 308 Win next to 500 MDM. Maybe I'm to used to bigger cartridges? The round is stout but kinda looks small when I'm loading them. Had a buddy shoot this rifle and my 416 Rigby. He was extremely happy to say the least. He never shot anything larger than a 308 and had a big smile after pulling the trigger.
20180605_084908.jpeg

Actually I was unsure whether to get a 470 or 500 so while I was at the Krieghoff factory I shot both and it didn’t feel all that different on the shoulder but coming back on target took noticeably longer with 500 though I think it all comes down to practise. Both rounds were manageable and it didn’t really clear it up for me.

I had a very hard time deciding which to order and ended up with 470 due to sentiment of my first DG hunt with that calibre but was tempted to change the order to 500 afterwards. To me the choice between the two is largely emotional and discussion of merits rather academic. Obviously 500N.E. with 570grs at 2100fps is more powerful than 470N.E. with 500grs at the same 2100fps but I hazard that if one shoots game with 470 and the game doesn’t die it’s not due to cartridge being not powerful enough. I don’t think there are land animals on this planet for which the performance of 470 could be described as marginal. Having said all that I fear I will sooner or later end up with .50 cal of some sort in my gun cabinet as every big bore aficionado “needs” to have at least one “true” large bore.

After seeing a 3-4 yo Buffalo Bull on the run, get shoved sideways by a 500NE and 570grn Woodleigh RN, I'd have no hesitation in using the 500NE. Alot can be said for frontal area. Calibre has always been my Favorite

Thanks, that's an official pic that was sent to me. 308 Win next to 500 MDM. Maybe I'm to used to bigger cartridges? The round is stout but kinda looks small when I'm loading them. Had a buddy shoot this rifle and my 416 Rigby. He was extremely happy to say the least. He never shot anything larger than a 308 and had a big smile after pulling the trigger.View attachment 240449

Very nice,

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross