AUSTRALIA: Fallow Deer Hunting Australia

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
April is the rut for fallow in the southern hemisphere. Managed to get out for a bit of a look.

Doe called the young buck into 5m before he saw me.

The big fella croaking was hanging around a hot doe, didn't have my rifle on me as it was in the middle of the day and just took the camera.

Ended up with the cull buck and freezer full of meat! Free range diy hunting at its best.

2919822d.jpeg
2919822e.jpeg
29198238.jpeg
2919821f.jpeg
20190413_071416.jpeg

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
Great pics! Those fallow deer are my favourite non-North American deer species. I definitely need to hunt on someday. Congrats on a nice buck!

375 Ruger Fan

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Namibia, Zimbabwe, New Zealand, South Africa (Eastern Cape & NW), Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY, Canada (Yukon)
Very nice looking deer, congratulations!

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Great pics! Those fallow deer are my favourite non-North American deer species. I definitely need to hunt on someday. Congrats on a nice buck!
I've always loved that you never know what colour you'll run into. Makes them exciting to hunt

Ragman

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Hunted
Canada(Sask./B.C.), Namibia, RSA(Eastern Cape) USA(Texas)
I've always loved that you never know what colour you'll run into. Makes them exciting to hunt
Exactly. And those palmate antlers are gorgeous!

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
Lifetime titanium benefactor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico, England
Thanks for sharing your hunt. Always good to go out with the camera.
The result looks pretty tasty to me.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Was he edible JP?
He is not piss stained like the croaker is.
Yeah mate, to me they're never really inedible. I know some guys talk about rutting deer being inedible but most probably haven't tried it. Granted they're not as good as at other times but into mince i think they're fine.

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Great job mate! Had a great fallow rut this year myself, fun stuff.
Top stuff mate,

it's harder and harder to get away these days with a young family so I have to make the most of it between that and a few days chasing hoggies.

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted

JPbowhunter

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
That pretty well saves everything. Along with a bunch of spice and sauce.
Even just meat and fat, last year my brother shot a fully rutted out buck end of April and he wasn't too bad.

You've got to bear in mind Australia is the land of apathy when it comes to respect for game. In my experience most Australian hunters eat very little to no game. There's no wanton waste laws so it's legal to shot a stag, lop his head off and leave the rest to rot, which from experience i can tell you many do. I spoke to a guy from a hound crew last year who shoots around 100 deer a year and happily admitted no one in the group eats venison.

Opposite Pole

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SSAA; PZŁ, KŁ Sęp
Hunted
Australia, Poland
Even just meat and fat, last year my brother shot a fully rutted out buck end of April and he wasn't too bad.

You've got to bear in mind Australia is the land of apathy when it comes to respect for game. In my experience most Australian hunters eat very little to no game. There's no wanton waste laws so it's legal to shot a stag, lop his head off and leave the rest to rot, which from experience i can tell you many do. I spoke to a guy from a hound crew last year who shoots around 100 deer a year and happily admitted no one in the group eats venison.

Too true

BRICKBURN

Super moderator
Contributor
AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Europe
Hunted

Interesting difference in culture. You can not waste anything here or you risk losing your hunting license.

You'd think they could at least give it to some hungry people. Oh well.
Learned something new today.

blacks

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Member of
Australian Deer Association, Australian Association of Wildlife Artists
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Namibia, South Africa
Top stuff mate,

it's harder and harder to get away these days with a young family so I have to make the most of it between that and a few days chasing hoggies.

I know that feeling sadly. Due to workload and family commitments I've only managed three quick overnight hunts this season. But I was lucky and shot 6 deer in that time including a nice chocolate buck and an old cull buck, along with plenty of meat.

Hog deer is the one Aussie species I've never been able to pursue, though I keep sponsoring the ballot!

I guess QLD rusa in July and Africa in August will make up for it ;)

Mark R

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Australia/NZ
Hunted
Australia, New Zealand, Canada, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
I know that feeling sadly. Due to workload and family commitments I've only managed three quick overnight hunts this season. But I was lucky and shot 6 deer in that time including a nice chocolate buck and an old cull buck, along with plenty of meat.

Hog deer is the one Aussie species I've never been able to pursue, though I keep sponsoring the ballot!

I guess QLD rusa in July and Africa in August will make up for it ;)

I guess (y):cry:

FallowJaeger

AH senior member
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Congrats, that is a wonderful Fallow. I wish I could hunt Aussie Fallow, it's my dream to get back to Australia to hunt Fallow (I lived in Australia before I got into hunting twenty years ago).

Uncle Sauce

Bronze supporter
AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Member of
GOA, RMGO, FRGC, SCI, DSC
Hunted
US: CO, ID, MT, NY, OR, VA, WA, WY
Great photos and animal! Really like those horns on fallow deer - Congrats (y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChastityMa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

DGGardner wrote on Rare Breed's profile.
I'm sure I am a day late and a dollar short but if the deal on the .416 falls through let me know and I will buy it.
Pondoro wrote on Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS's profile.
Hello...could you please pm me regarding what species available on this fly-camp offer....can cape buffalo be taken for instance..? Trophy prices..?
matt vejar wrote on kevin masters's profile.
Kevin,
Played rookie league for the Yankees in Paintsville after winning the College World Series at Fullerton State, in1979. All I could think about was the movie “Deliverance”- lived up in a hollow with some other players. Refused to go on a moonshine run because it was a dry county-no way. Met some of the nicest people on the planet there! Van Lear the home of Loretta Lynn was highlight of summer LOL.
Tally-Ho HUNTING SAFARIS wrote on jfowler812's profile.
hi Mr fowler

im happy to do these deals for 2021

i will knock off 10% off each deal if you take 2 so $18000 per package

look forward to your response

regards
Mule deer and Colorado elk seasons almost done! Hunters driving farm roads, looking for racks, their PH driving them along, I ask that you not pull into my drive. The buck behind me, on the boundary line of the GMU somehow knows. The hunter laughs, I would invite you in to see my Searcy rifles but social distancing prevails, darkness arrives and the buck slides away into secret tree grove...