AUSTRALIA: Bull Today

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Put in some KM's today on a few creek systems. Pretty hot so expected a bit of action. Early start and onto some buff carcasses from last week for nothing. Plenty of sign so followed some tracks away and towards a pool on the main creek. Mitch found a large boar bedded and dropped him with 375H&H and rem factory 300gr. A few pics and moved on.
Broke in a lot of new country for a miss on a large sow that climbed to a bench and made it to safety.
Late in the arvo and very hot we were working a pandanus creek for pigs when I heard movement below and infront of me , couple of quick steps forward and ready for a shot and a huge bull comes into view. Sh#t!, scope on him and he turned to look at what had disturbed him...... 8m , head ,Dropped at the shot..... Quick second when he turned onto his side. Stoked that he dropped on the spot unfortunately on the edge of the water.
Used a Winchester featherweight 358 .
heres some pics. Cheers Mick

P9030294.jpg
P9030310.jpg
P9030309.jpg

Looks like a lot of fun. Nice shooting! Congrats
Bruce

Nice animals - thanks for the write up!

Awesome!

Great pictures! Congrats!

Great pictures, just wondering how much trouble that buff gave you when it was dragged out of the waterhole?

Congrats and thanks for sharing!

Big pig!
What is your estimate of the weight?

Very nice rifle too.

Put in some KM's today on a few creek systems. Pretty hot so expected a bit of action. Early start and onto some buff carcasses from last week for nothing. Plenty of sign so followed some tracks away and towards a pool on the main creek. Mitch found a large boar bedded and dropped him with 375H&H and rem factory 300gr. A few pics and moved on.
Broke in a lot of new country for a miss on a large sow that climbed to a bench and made it to safety.
Late in the arvo and very hot we were working a pandanus creek for pigs when I heard movement below and infront of me , couple of quick steps forward and ready for a shot and a huge bull comes into view. Sh#t!, scope on him and he turned to look at what had disturbed him...... 8m , head ,Dropped at the shot..... Quick second when he turned onto his side. Stoked that he dropped on the spot unfortunately on the edge of the water.
Used a Winchester featherweight 358 .
heres some pics. Cheers Mick

View attachment 365847View attachment 365848View attachment 365849
@264
Who was the poor bastard that had to pull the buff out of the drink. Hope the toyo had a goog Winchester on it.
Bob

264, nice shot on that Water Buffalo. I have a Win. Model 71 in 348 that was made in 1936. It is ballistically identical to your 358. I never thought about using it on Water Buffalo shame on me. Is Mitch your son?

264, nice shot on that Water Buffalo. I have a Win. Model 71 in 348 that was made in 1936. It is ballistically identical to your 358. I never thought about using it on Water Buffalo shame on me. Is Mitch your son?
358 isn't my first choice for buff and Is definitely on the light side . Usualy carrying something bigger.We were mainly. hunting for boars.
Mitch isn't my son. I used to hunt with his father in WA when I was younger.

264, I agree with you, I wouldn't intentionally go after anything as large as a Water buffalo with my 348, but if it was all I had when the opportunity presented itself I probably take the shot just like you did. What weight bullet were you using?

Very nice! Congratulations!

264, I agree with you, I wouldn't intentionally go after anything as large as a Water buffalo with my 348, but if it was all I had when the opportunity presented itself I probably take the shot just like you did. What weight bullet were you using?
185 gr ACP's now discontinued. All copper similar to barnes TSX. I've got a couple of hundred to run out.

185 gr ACP's now discontinued. All copper similar to barnes TSX. I've got a couple of hundred to run out.
@264
Mick did you try the 225 grain ACPs when the were available. Outer edge in Orange make a good bullet for the 35 as well.
Ted Mitchell and his son use his 358 Mitchell Express on buff with no issues and it's a,bit better than the 358 but not quite up to the Whelen.
Bob

@264
Mick did you try the 225 grain ACPs when the were available. Outer edge in Orange make a good bullet for the 35 as well.
Ted Mitchell and his son use his 358 Mitchell Express on buff with no issues and it's a,bit better than the 358 but not quite up to the Whelen.
Bob
No I stayed with the lighter pills as the 358win doesn't have the velocity for the heavier pills. I ran conventional hornadys at 200 and 250 gr. The 200 worked great. Also tried the 200 TSX but velocity wasn't fast enough for reliable expansion.
I carry some 225 hydros for buff, and change to them if expecting a buff.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RooseveltM

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg