Australia Bans Lion Imports

sjb

Reaction score
As of last night our wonderful Government in its wisdom has banned the Importation Of all ALL Lion products/hunting Trophies

That our Minister for Environment Mr Hunt used totally wrong and misleading figures to Validate his personal views seems to be of little consequence.

Here is a what was reported in our papers.

IF you go to Africa to hunt a lion, even legally, you can't bring it home to Australia.

AFTER flagging a ban on lion trophy imports months ago, Environment Minister Greg Hunt has signed an order prohibiting any African lion parts or remains coming into Australia.
It's a reaction to the practice of canned hunting, where lions are bred in captivity to be released from a cage, sometimes drugged, and shot by hunters with no chance of escape.
However, while canned hunting is a problem in Africa, many lions are hunted legitimately and it is difficult to know which products were hunted illegally.
Mr Hunt decided on a blanket ban, something federal MP Jason Wood has campaigned strongly for.
"Canned hunting is real. It exists. It shouldn't exist," Mr Hunt said.
"It is cruel. It is barbaric. And this is something that I, along with many other Australians, feel very strongly about."
But the blanket ban has annoyed NSW Shooters and Fishers Party MP Robert Borsak who says there is no justification for the government to ban legal trophies.
He claims hunting is an African conservation measure.
Department of Environment figures show about 140 African lion body parts have been imported into Australia over the past five years.
Former cricket star Glenn McGrath hit headlines last month after pictures surfaced showing him posing with a dead elephant in Africa in 2008.
He says his hunt was legal but he regrets participating.
Mr Hunt made the announcement on Friday night via video message to the "global march for lions" in Melbourne.

This is bad.

Heard the news today. Just unbelievable. How can they get this so wrong...again! We trust our politicians to be well informed when making decisions but, they consistently fall short. Far too much corruption in policy based on votes. Sadly the 'do-gooders' will be the death of al they are trying to protect due to their shortsighted views and opinions. Getting to the point I need out of this country it's a global joke

That's a wrong and totally generalized decision, if Mr. Hunt are against "canned lions" please do this ban with trophy's from RSA.
Zambia will open the cats in the nearest months, and we do not breeding cats !!!

From the Australian Department of Environment website:

Stricter domestic measure to regulate the import and export of African lion items

The Australian Government has introduced a measure to treat African lions as though they are listed on Appendix I of the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES). The measure came into effect on 13 March 2015, and it will limit Australian trade in African lion items, including preventing imports and exports of African lion hunting trophies.

This measure has been introduced in response to Australian public concerns about 'canned hunting' of African lions.

African lions are listed internationally on Appendix II of CITES. Trade in CITES-listed species is regulated through Australia's national environmental law, the Environment Protection and Biodiversity Conservation Act 1999 (EPBC Act). In accordance with CITES and the EPBC Act, Australia may introduce domestic measures that further restrict trade in CITES listed species.

http://www.environment.gov.au/biodiversity/wildlife-trade/cites/stricter-measures/african-lion

Well bluey just got screwed. A government department more reactive than the USFWS. o_O

mmmmmm,
I knew there was pressure , on this
but I never knew it had gained this much momentum.
wonder where my self and atleast a couple of other aussie hunters stand , with importing legally hunted lion and lioness
that were hunted last year and or before this , load of bullshit ....

I just hope this does not turn into screw the Sa lions if we can save our country from having the ban put on us. I fear it will be the same old same old hunters picking sides of what they think is best for them not all hunters.

Last I looked elephant were not raised to be hunted but the united states banned them. It is not about wild,raised,unfenced or fenced. It is about stopping all hunting one piece at a time till it is to late to stop the anti hunter train that will run us all over as we fight with each other.

For the record yes we have hunted a lioness in SA and I am as proud of my son as a dad can be for hunting her.

Well bluey just got screwed. A government department more reactive than the USFWS. o_O

im sitting here a long way from port ,with a real sick feeling in my guts , bricko , I dont mind telling ya .
its 1 am sunday morning , here now
not real sure , I will be able to talk to any one till Monday , either

Good luck on this Bluey. What an absolute pain. I feel for you. Bruce

thanks bruce
I knew there was some dick in office blowin his trumpet ,on this
but man I really let my guard down on this .....
if ive still got phone service after daylight , im gunna be all over the show trying ......

im sitting here a long way from port ,with a real sick feeling in my guts , bricko , I dont mind telling ya .

Yeah, that was the same feeling I got for you my friend.

Here's hoping.

:A Bang Head: WHAT A BUNCH OF :S Bs Flag:

Anyone care to hazard a guess how long it will be before the US follows suit?
Our USFWS seems to be ever vigilant for stupidity to emulate...

Unfortunately, the nonhunting public (that's nonhunting public....not antihunting public; there is a difference) do not like to associate any kind of fencing with hunting. It can be an area of 500,000 square miles, but if there is a fence around it, it gets labeled as a "canned hunt". There are even moves from various "sportsmen" and "hunters" who wish to see any kind of a fence banned.....they presume that if they give into a group on "this one little issue", they will leave "their" hunting alone.......AND NOTHING COULD BE FURTHER FROM THE TRUTH!!! We've seen this happen in my home state of Michigan, with those who think that bovine TB and CWD are "caused" by shooting preserves (it's called "bovine" for a reason:rolleyes:); since they don't want it to impact "their" hunting, certain hunters have basically joined forces with the antihunters..........what a crock, and I never thought I'd see the day!:eek:
It is up to us to educate the nonhunting public as to how fences are actually preserving the species......one need not look far in order to find notable examples: the blackbuck antelope is a prime example! A few were brought here to a ranch in Texas as a "decoration", and years later, the only surviving populations were on game farms in TX, and animals had to be sent from those "game farms" (where hunting helped to bolster the numbers) to repatriate/repopulate the species in its native country. What better example do you need than that? Place a value on wildlife, and it will thrive...........
As for the elephant: I believe that the elephant imports were stopped to curb the illegal trade in ivory........and we all saw what a farce that ended up being, with elephant populations going out of control and animals starving an having to be shot as "mercy killing"........much, MUCH better to have a legal trade in a species and put the monies back into the habitat/research/propagation than having it all poached and stolen with profits going into the pockets of criminals and no one else benefits. Liken it to prohibition, if you have to, for the simple minded folk who just don't get it: boot legging nets profit for only the bootlegger, and resources will be needed to enforce the laws; legal trade in alcohol means tax revenues for govt. use for schools, roads, research, etc. Banning something will not put a stop to it....there will be an immediate surge in illegal activity, esp. if it is profitable, and we all know how profitable ivory/rhino horn/tiger parts are.........

I certainly hope that bluey (and any one else impacted by this foolishness) ends up with a positive outcome............

Bluey, lets just hope they are not making this measure retroactive, and you can still import your lioness !

:A Bang Head: WHAT A BUNCH OF :S Bs Flag:

Anyone care to hazard a guess how long it will be before the US follows suit?
Our USFWS seems to be ever vigilant for stupidity to emulate...

that's just it idaram ,
the Australian government , usually follows Americas ,dumb shitt politically decisions
just cracking daylight here now , so if the phone service stays strong , I will be macking a few calls ,trying to understand , what all the hunting organisations will be doing to fix this f!@# up.
and seeing why lions hunted before last Friday cant be imported ,atleast .
I remember having this same conversation with ,enysee a couple of months back ....

thanks nyati
im sitting here hoping flat out ,mate

Feel for you buddy,

Hope your government lets you get your lion into the country. I don't know anything about your laws but it seems like you certainly have standing. Depending on the wording of the law. I would certainly communicate with my representatives. An attorney too.

Been in your shoes regarding a Zim elephant. Thank goodness my government rescinded the retroactive part of the law. I will still feel better when the elephant is in my house. I say this to let you know there is hope!

All the best.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EllieBoatm

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross