AUSTRALIA: Australia Buffalo Hunt With Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris

Just out of curiosity, what was the dip & pack cost per animal?

Congrats on the pig! Nice old boar!

450 each! My butt is still hurting!

Can you bring trophies back with you from Australia as extra baggage? I know some people do that in New Zeland.

Can you bring trophies back with you from Australia as extra baggage? I know some people do that in New Zeland.
I’m not sure Bob. I never even thought to ask.

Aaron arrived around 0830, and we loaded up for the almost 7 hour drive down to the bush camp.
Our first stop was at the 303 Bar at the Adelaide River Inn. Now this place is cool, monster croc mounted out front and the water buff from Crocodile Dundee lifesized inside.
View attachment 246173
Sign using 303 brass, there was an enfield SMLE on either side. The beer was damn tasty!
View attachment 246174
Of course the old man couldn’t resist a croc Dundee pose.lol

We headed on down to Katherine and had lunch and a couple of beers at the country club.
On to Aaron’s mates home to trade out vehicles, out of the comfortable SUV and into a land cruiser, now we got to be getting close!
We swapped vehicles and hooked up the trailer and were on our way!

We turned off the pavement and onto dirt for a spell then a right at the blue fuel drum onto a single track for the remainder of the Trip to camp. It was around 2 hours back in on the track and absolutely beautiful country. We arrived at camp and I was pleasantly surprised, though not as nice as many African bush tent camps, this was set up nicely. A damn site more amenities than most of the elk camps I’ve been in. Running water and hot shower by means of an elevated water tank and drum heated by a wood fire. Decent tents with a real mattress and clean linens. A nice permanent structure to eat meals and a campfire, all I need! We got settled in and unpacked then met at the dinner building for a good meal. Aaron’s girlfriend Mary spent the week with us and did a fine job cooking for us. Only once was there a dish that was not edible. I had a suspicion of what it was because of her Lebanese linage. Evidently Bob, Carol and Dad did not as they dished theirselves a big old helping of hummus!
I enjoyed watching them try to eat it, Dad was looking around for a stray dog so he could lick its butt to get the taste out of his mouth. Bob did not disappoint either by busting her chops on what the hell that dish actually was.

Day One of hunting(well kind of):
We woke to some of the most vile sounding birds that I have ever heard. They were damn sure more annoying than my alarm clock back home, actually thought about smuggling some back just for those mornings that are hard to roll out of the rack after an evening of MacCallen delicious excessiveness! You would get up regardless of your hangover just to kill the bird.
Now rolling out at the crack of dawn is not the norm around camp, breakfast was served around 8ish. This is where we got our first and last taste of Vegemite! For those that have not had the bad luck to try this stuff, consider yourself not missing a damn thing! We normally use this stuff to put on a sponge to catch catfish on. We all concurred that it was not fit for human consumption and threw it away. Bob threw his to the big camp dog and the dog looked at him with a I’m not eating that expression and walked away from it.
We finally rolled out, Dad and I with Aaron and Bob and Carol with Red, Aaron’s other guide.
We saw buffalo from the time we left camp to the point we broke the steering arm on the cruiser about 18 miles from camp. I was not at all surprised at all that we broke something, these boys make our idea of off road travel seem like a drive through Yellowstone Park. Running over trees and bushes up to 6” diameter is what they refer to as pushing into the bush. I would say it is more Ramming your way through it. Anyway we crawl up out of a river bottom and into a large tree, I was pretty sure there was a steering issue because Aaron was pretty skilled at running over trees. We made an attempt to field engineer our way out and it wasn’t happening. We backed under a shade tree and Aaron informed us he would walk to camp and be back in a few hours. Dad and I were quite certain that he was being very optimistic about his time frame. He grabbed his Sako 7-08 and backpack and off into the bush he went. We had plenty of food and water, a 375 and plenty of room to wander around. We made the best out of the situation and took a walk around. About 10:30 that night the radio came to life, it was Bob and Red to the rescue. We were planning sleeping out in the bush as soon as it got dark. We actually hoped that they would not risk trying to get us in the dark due to the terrain. We could hear trees crashing long before we could see the lights of reds cruiser. It was an interesting trip out, almost tipping over in a dry creek bed was a added bit of excitement. We got back to camp around midnight and could tell Aaron was whipped. He told us about the herd of Jenny’s that he walked into and was charged by a Jack donkey which he shot in the face to stop him. Much more exciting than our day! Bob had a great day but I will let him tell his story. Thanks Bob for coming to get us and remembering some cold 4X!
View attachment 246175
View attachment 246176
Beautiful evening out in the bush
@Bullthrower338
Cody here's me thinking you had a sense of adventure. Vegemite is a n Australian staple that goes with anything. Beautiful spread on toast topped with bacon and a poached egg. At least you had some xxxx . All you need now is the O the NT staple, Bundy Rum.
Australians in the bush have no sense of time or distance.
It's only down the road a bit and it only takes 5 minutes could mean it's 200 mile and 4 hours or 500 yards and a few minutes. All the same to us.
Bob

Those look like Super Swampers on that Cruiser.

Oh wait, this is a hunting forum, not an off-road forum.

:)

Really love the pic of your pop mesmerizing the buff. Priceless!
@tarbe
No mate there what we call muddies. A deep open tread for off road and highway use. Very common on both bush and town 4x4s.
Bob

Day Three if the hunt had us driving up a creek bottom looking for pigs and to try and see some fresh water crocodile. We walked up to a large pool and got to see two freshies. It was great to see them in their natural environment. They seem to be much more timid than the salt water variety and maybe more so than our American Alligator. Once they knew we were there, they went to the bottom and laid their still as the dead.
We carried on up the track and spotted a lone bull. Aaron asked what I thought, having shot two water buffalo in my short Australian hunting career, he looked pretty damn good to me. His horns were in the sweeper shape which is what I wanted for a shoulder mount so I was on my way to get a shot on him. I got up to a tree and rested the 375, aiming just under his chin for a frontal shot. The bullet hit his spine and the bull dropped. I placed an insurance shot into him as we approached and it was a done deal. He may not be the largest bull but the character of his horns was exactly what I wanted and I was quite happy with him.
View attachment 246862
View attachment 246863
We took care of the bull and headed back to camp.
That evening Aaron took us down to the river near camp where he has a nice awning and seating area set up on a beautiful sand beach. We enjoyed some appetizers and refreshments while Mary was preparing a nice supper. My dad and I took a swim and Aaron scared the hell out of me by throwing a rock behind my back! Fat white kid was exiting the water rapidly while everyone laughed at me. Always picking on the fat kid!
View attachment 246870
My dad is part Labrador, if their is water he is in it. I’ve stood on the bank with my coat on watching him stand in a Montana stream fishing with ice still running down it while wearing cut off jeans. I never hated fish that much!
BTW, had some hummus at lunch today and it wasn’t as bad as I remember.
@Bullthrower 338
Cody you can swim with the freshies but you wouldn't try it with a saltie. I'd like to see the people on swampman take on a 12 foot saltie it would be interesting. If you want to see the replica of a big saltie cooktown I think it's a t is a big 28 footer. Puts a big gator in the tadpoles class.
Bob
Bob

Well I will finally finish this report up while I’m waiting on a plane in rainy Florida!

The fourth day of the hunt had us driving up to the top of a hill, the largest hill I have actually seen in the NT. We are headed to a spot that Aaron has just recently found. It is a swamp on top of the ridge, doesn’t sound right to me either! We park the truck and proceed to walk down the ridge, we shortly encounter a beautiful bull all by himself and decide to pass in hopes of a larger bull in the marsh. Five scrub bulls are on the edge of the marsh as we approach, one is beautiful and I seriously contemplate a second bull of the bovine variety hanging in my house but decide to pass. We continue down through the marsh and see quite a few buff but not any that really get us excited. We walk a large circle slowly through the area and back to the truck.

Dad doesn’t know it yet but we are actually looking for his bull. Up until the time I hand him the 375 he thinks he is just along for the ride. I had worked this out with Aaron and it was pretty cool to see his face when he got his chance.

We moved along to a area that was quite thick and had a small creek running through it. Buffalo were absolutely everywhere. As we moved along the creek a good bull was standing by himself. I asked dad if he liked him and he said hell yeah, he’s nice. This is where I handed the old man the rifle, like he had done to me so many times as a young boy. It was great to see his excitement. He moved up to get a rest on a tree and looked at me one more time like he was waiting for me to say “ha, got your ass, give me back the rifle”. He took aim and fired. Now pop is a meat hunter and doesn’t have the shoot till they are down mentality that his middle son has. He looks over the rifle as I frantically yell at him to keep shooting! Aaron shoots before the bull makes it into the thick bush with the 7-08 and the bull is down. The second shot was not needed as dad’s shot was perfect. But it certainly ended it all quicker.

View attachment 248239

I was quite pleased with this beautiful bull that dad took! It is going to look excellent hanging in his house in Montana. I was happy that I finally got to do something for my dad after all he has done for me over my lifetime. Especially not killing me when I was around 16!

Well got to jump on a plane. One more installation coming.
@Bullthrower338
That bull of your dad's is a cracker.
Bob

@Bullthrower338
Cody here's me thinking you had a sense of adventure. Vegemite is a n Australian staple that goes with anything. Beautiful spread on toast topped with bacon and a poached egg. At least you had some xxxx . All you need now is the O the NT staple, Bundy Rum.
Australians in the bush have no sense of time or distance.
It's only down the road a bit and it only takes 5 minutes could mean it's 200 mile and 4 hours or 500 yards and a few minutes. All the same to us.
Bob
I had to find a dingo and lick its ass to get the taste of vegimite out of my mouth!

@Bullthrower 338
Cody you can swim with the freshies but you wouldn't try it with a saltie. I'd like to see the people on swampman take on a 12 foot saltie it would be interesting. If you want to see the replica of a big saltie cooktown I think it's a t is a big 28 footer. Puts a big gator in the tadpoles class.
Bob
Bob
Last gator I killed I don’t think I set my beer down to kill. There ain’t much to them.

I was routinely "charged" by Stallions in charge of their herd whilst hunting buffalo on foot where feral horses were common.

Also, and quite unfortunately, there were A LOT of feral horses on my old hunting concession, and I spent quite a bit of time engaged in an unpleasant , by necessary, reduction campaign.

The Stallion would wheel away his mob and run them at full gallop for a hundred or more meters then spin around on a coin and come barreling back at full throttle.
I can tell you that 99.9% of Brumbies charges will not be pressed home.

I have had many ballsy steeds come to within 20yds, bringing hooves, teeth, spitting and breying and pull up short of the full deal.

It can be quite an impressive scene as the Chief puts on a show for his crew in the background.

I've only ever had to shoot three that came beyond my self imposed limit of 20yds.

The .500 mdm put an end to that argument quickly.
Had a proper charge from a stallion just a few weeks ago, I shoot a lot of brumbies and this was a first for me. As you say, had plenty come close but not like this, he was coming and wasn't stopping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
collegeafricagroup

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois