AUSTRALIA: Australia Buffalo Hunt With Australian Outback Buffalo Safaris

What's wrong with hummus?

In AH fashion we will just have to agree to disagree...Really enjoying the story in any event of the hummus slander ;)

Deep belly chuckles from your writing, keep it up.

But I do like the hummus....

And on a semi-related side note baba ganoush is a fantastic garlic delivery vehicle also!

Saw some huge buffalo along Blue Drum yesterday!

Lebanese food in Arnhemland... I would’ve loved that! In fact, just yesterday, we enjoyed corn chips and hummus on the veranda after a very successful buffalo hunt.

I nearly got killed by a donkey about fourteen years ago, along the same river you guys were on but to the south.

Saw some huge buffalo along Blue Drum yesterday!

Lebanese food in Arnhemland... I would’ve loved that! In fact, just yesterday, we enjoyed corn chips and hummus on the veranda after a very successful buffalo hunt.

I nearly got killed by a donkey about fourteen years ago, along the same river you guys were on but to the south.
The donkey attack sounds pretty humorous but they are mean little suckers. Got the nice disposition like zebra! Lol

Try Feral horses on for size. Cranky Stallions! Not fun.

We have our share of feral horses locally and I do not take chances after being bluff charged.

Last edited:
Attacks from donkeys and brumbies are extremely rare, but do happen. Brumby stallions are indeed more aggressive than jack donkeys in general, but still rare. Most aggressive acts involve intimidation such as galloping close then wheeling around, and continuing that behaviour. But sometimes they do indeed try to press it home.

Attacks from donkeys and brumbies are extremely rare, but do happen. Brumby stallions are indeed more aggressive than jack donkeys in general, but still rare. Most aggressive acts involve intimidation such as galloping close then wheeling around, and continuing that behaviour. But sometimes they do indeed try to press it home.

I was routinely "charged" by Stallions in charge of their herd whilst hunting buffalo on foot where feral horses were common.

Also, and quite unfortunately, there were A LOT of feral horses on my old hunting concession, and I spent quite a bit of time engaged in an unpleasant , by necessary, reduction campaign.

The Stallion would wheel away his mob and run them at full gallop for a hundred or more meters then spin around on a coin and come barreling back at full throttle.
I can tell you that 99.9% of Brumbies charges will not be pressed home.

I have had many ballsy steeds come to within 20yds, bringing hooves, teeth, spitting and breying and pull up short of the full deal.

It can be quite an impressive scene as the Chief puts on a show for his crew in the background.

I've only ever had to shoot three that came beyond my self imposed limit of 20yds.

The .500 mdm put an end to that argument quickly.

Oh, and put me down as another fan of the Hummus.

Hummus, green and black olives, sun-dried tomatoes, Brittz biscuits, hot chillies twiggy sticks, some ham and salami slices plus a few crates of bourbon and cokes and you got yourself a nice relaxing afternoon !!!!

Up the next morning to go look at the Aboriginal Art on some rocks down a creek. Along the way a nice bull and some cows are spotted at the water. Aaron sizes the bull up as a good management bull and the stalk is on! I’m up to bat and the whole group follows up the hill out of the river bottom. The herd moved up ahead of us as we slowly moved through a open rock outcropping with bush between us and the buff. Aaron had kicked off his shoes at the river and was barefoot, I knew my feet wouldn’t like the rocks and was happy to have my Courtney boots. We got to the edge of the bush line and we were looking for the bull when I looked over to my left and a dingo was about 35 yards away! Now I’m the kind of guy that will blow an opportunity on a 6x6 bull elk to smoke a coyote and I started to get excited about the dingo, I wasn’t the only one because Bob had that look in his eyes that he was about to give that dog a hunk of 375 lead but he realized what we were and hauled off into the brush. Attention back to buffalo now. I moved up a little to get a clear shot at about 125 yards. The bull was quartering away a bit and I shot a bit to far back on him for the cheapo Federal blue box 270 grain bullets to push deep enough. I racked another round and shot him in the left rear hip trying to break bone before he disappeared into the bush. Didn’t phase him! We looked for blood and found none. Aaron said the first shot was good and the second was on the hip. He decided it best to let him set a while and come back with the dogs. We moved out of the area and walked back down to the river and to the cruisers.
Of course I replayed the shots in my head the whole way back to the truck, feeling sick that there was a wounded bull left on the hill. I had faith that the dogs would pick up the track.

As we were going down the track Aaron and Bob spot another bull in a marsh area and they are pointing to the bull. I bail out and run down into the marsh, as I come around a tree and mire myself over the top of my boots in the mud the bull is 20 yards from me. I threw the BRNO up and gave him 3 as hard as I could go with the bull dropping at the third shot. I topped off the gun and made my way up closer, he was done! My first success on Water buffalo was in front of me and it was awesome!
90BEA78A-73EF-482A-B52A-7D764EFFC827.jpeg

DB8915DA-F9E3-4707-ADD3-8A74AE5A9B42.jpeg

61BFA8D3-6BAE-45A0-902B-99135A963C64.jpeg

Several of the bulls that we took were piebald.

We took care of the bull and went to look at the aboriginal art. The canyon that we walked down was gorgeous. The lava flow was evident and the rocks were had a copper hue to them that made them look surreal. Pictures did not capture the amazing beauty of this place.
061A42D7-CB5C-4C53-BED9-C1476654D0B5.jpeg

C12D37FA-48ED-491A-A0C9-83EEEB66C767.jpeg

F0B930D5-34B9-4D74-90EB-5D22BCF42F96.jpeg

AD49411C-701E-46B8-9579-8D224F4B206D.jpeg

The art work was also amazing, telling a story that we can only guess the meaning. I will post better pics of this area and the drawings when I download my camera.
On the way out of the canyon Aaron had us sample a little green ant that tasted like lime! I much prefer little green ants to hummus or vegamite.

We went back to camp, got the dogs and headed back to the last place we had seen the bull that I had shot. In short order they had found a little bit of blood. We spread out and walked through the bush but the dogs were not on a track. We walked patterns and found nothing. I was getting worried that we would not find the bull. Red decided to walk toward the river west and Bob and I started walking toward a thick patch of bush about the time the dogs started sounding. We decided to head toward the dogs after a bit of confusion determining if it was Red trying to get our attention or a bird, turns out it was a bird that sounded quite like Red’s voice.
We closed in on the dogs and they had the bull at bay. He was very much alive and we were trying to make sure it was the same bull. Bob finally saw blood on his rear quarter and I shot breaking his neck. We placed one more in him for good measure. I was so relieved to get him, the idea of an animal left wounded in the bush due to my actions makes me ill. Unfortunately I have lost a couple animals over my time hunting, it has felt the same each time.
479B3D60-EBBB-42B2-86CC-54A8E26645DF.jpeg
877481FE-5528-4C1B-B67B-CE6237298583.jpeg

Aaron and Red working over the bull.
The conclusion to this particular bull ended perfectly and will be a memory I will never forget. Once again Thanks Bob for help sorting this guy out!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow what an adrenaline rush on the bull! Congrats that's a great looking buff!

Awesome artwork also, what a treat to see that along the way!

Wow what an adrenaline rush on the bull! Congrats that's a great looking buff!

Awesome artwork also, what a treat to see that along the way!
Aaron had a nice set up that allowed more than just hunting, it was nice to see this stuff along the way

Great buffs and fantastic artwork, congrats !

And yes another fan of lebanese cuisine, including hummus, reminds me of my visits to Beirut.

Day Three if the hunt had us driving up a creek bottom looking for pigs and to try and see some fresh water crocodile. We walked up to a large pool and got to see two freshies. It was great to see them in their natural environment. They seem to be much more timid than the salt water variety and maybe more so than our American Alligator. Once they knew we were there, they went to the bottom and laid their still as the dead.
We carried on up the track and spotted a lone bull. Aaron asked what I thought, having shot two water buffalo in my short Australian hunting career, he looked pretty damn good to me. His horns were in the sweeper shape which is what I wanted for a shoulder mount so I was on my way to get a shot on him. I got up to a tree and rested the 375, aiming just under his chin for a frontal shot. The bullet hit his spine and the bull dropped. I placed an insurance shot into him as we approached and it was a done deal. He may not be the largest bull but the character of his horns was exactly what I wanted and I was quite happy with him.
24CEC02A-19A4-4F91-B739-E39A6BB78EB8.jpeg

12B3C423-77C8-4AF4-A8F8-EF90409F78CF.jpeg

We took care of the bull and headed back to camp.
That evening Aaron took us down to the river near camp where he has a nice awning and seating area set up on a beautiful sand beach. We enjoyed some appetizers and refreshments while Mary was preparing a nice supper. My dad and I took a swim and Aaron scared the hell out of me by throwing a rock behind my back! Fat white kid was exiting the water rapidly while everyone laughed at me. Always picking on the fat kid!
2350BE23-B955-40E7-BA8D-6B4D942F3C0C.jpeg

My dad is part Labrador, if their is water he is in it. I’ve stood on the bank with my coat on watching him stand in a Montana stream fishing with ice still running down it while wearing cut off jeans. I never hated fish that much!
BTW, had some hummus at lunch today and it wasn’t as bad as I remember.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congrats on another nice looking bull!

Fantastic hunting! Sounds exciting! I can't wait to hear the rest.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg