Australia advice needed

Discussion in 'Hunting Australia & New Zealand' started by ActionBob, Apr 30, 2018.

1. ActionBob

ActionBob AH ENABLER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia
    I'm filling out an application to go on a Water Buffalo hunt in the Norther Territory of Australia.

Being from the USA, all the rules on firearms are a bit confusing so looking for advice from those outfitters who deal with this or from clients who have done it. My outfitter is not currently responding to email as I suspect he does not have access to email right now.

There is a question "Is a licence required in your home country to possess, carry, or use firearms"... That is a no.

Then they ask, "Do you hold a firearm licence in your home country"... Well no not exactly but I do have a permit to carry concealed... So I assume that is also a no, but not sure?

"Are you a member of a Hunting/Shooting club?" "If yes a certified copy of your club membership must be attached to this application" I used to belong to a shooting range/club but let that expire when I bought my semi retirement farm with my own range.... So the easiest thing seems to be to check no... Does SCI and DSC count? The NRA? Seems it might be a challenge getting a "certified copy" of membership from those and I'm not sure if they are the intended clubs..

2. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa, Botswana, Mozambique, Canada, USA, Mexico
    Screen Shot 2018-04-30 at 12.47.55 PM.png

For your purposes Bob:
    NO, NO, NO.

Do not over think the form.
    1. You do not require a license for your rifle at home.
    2. You do not hold a firearm license for the firearm you are bring to Aus. (I assume a rifle.)
    3. You are a member of Conservation and Lobby organizations, not a hunting club.

Last edited: Apr 30, 2018

3. ActionBob

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Minnesota, Texas, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Mozambique, British Columbia, Argentina, Kansas, Macedonia
    Thanks Wayne;)

4. johnnyblues

johnnyblues AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    USA, ALASKA Canada, New Zealand, Mexico Africa.
    Good luck Bob, should be a great adventure. Always wanted to do that hunt. Maybe Argentina one day.

5. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Bob, your permit to carry concealed will suffice for license requirements.
    Do include a copy of this !

The Aus Govment requests some form of licensing proof to filter characters that may not be fit to own or posess firearms.
    You can also just go down to your local PD and have a Stat dec filled in by the local officer declaring you are of good character and do not have priors for serious felonies such as drug and violence offences which our G'ment tries to screen against.

Don't take offence it is just a screening process.
    Standard procedure,
    as in if I had priors for the same I would be turned around immediately at U.S Customs.

Yes, your DCS and SCI and NRA memberships are all relevant, include proof of membership for all of them.

Don't forget to include 3 COLOR passport sized photos which will be used to print a plastic Temporary Visitors License and sent to you prior to your departure so that you have it in your possession to present to Customs when you arrive.

The "dry" season has begun up North, not making excuses because I don't even know who your outfitter is, but I do know that many of them will now be in remote bush locations preparing camps, clearing tracks etc etc.

Cheers.

Paul.

ActionBob likes this.

6. ActionBob

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA life, DSC, SCI
    Hunted:
    Thanks Paul!

7. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    This sounds like a fun hunt.

8. BRICKBURN

BRICKBURN AH ENABLER SUPER MODERATOR CONTRIBUTOR LIFETIME TITANIUM BENEFACTOR AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Paul, this seems rather strange to me. The firearms license, for a handgun, does not relate to Bob's purpose for importing a rifle. :E Confused:

You have obviously dealt with the Aussie police "logic" many more times than I.

I guess I can understand the "good character" angle.
    By the way, thanks for that. It provides me a new perspective.

9. PaulT

PaulT AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    S.C.I. International. Rowland Ward. Sporting shooters Association of Australia. Australian Deer Association.
    Hunted:
    Aus. N.Z & Zim.
    Brick.
    Yes, the firearms license type for handgun carry is obviously different than having a license for a hunting rifle but what it does is it proves to our G'ment that that individual has already been through a vetting process within their own country.
    Our G'ment is hoping that all other countries restrict issuing ANY types of firearms licenses to non-criminal individuals.

The character screening process perspective is primary beyond the firearms type.

Hope that explains that a bit better.

ActionBob likes this.

10. BRICKBURN

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Fair enough. Thanks Paul

11. Ridgewalker

Ridgewalker AH ENABLER LIFETIME BRONZE BENEFACTOR AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    South Africa: Limpopo, Northwest; USA: Ak, Mt, Wy, Co, Ne, Ks, Nv, NM, Tx
    Watching this Bob because I am considering a water buffalo/dingo hunt in 2019.
    Dr Ray, who is an Aussie, is going on a buff hunt this June. Maybe he will read this and give you some input. I’m waiting to hear a report on his hunt as well.

12. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite

Video/Photo:

Yes you do require to have a firearms licence.

Check

http://www.pfes.nt.gov.au/Police/Firearms-Weapons.aspx

Northern Territory phone contacts etc
    Tel+618 8922 3543

Fax +6188 8922 3540

For firearm licencing and registration enquiries please email firearmsregistry@pfes.nt.gov.au

For all weapons licencing and registration enquiries please email weaponsregistry@pfes.nt.gov.a
    Now each state has a weapons licensing requirement!

Where will you be landing & departing?

Say for example you land at Sydney New South Wales - you need rego there even for transiting (pain in the butt)

Then you go to the Northern Territory - you need rego there

Check each state where you will be transiting etc - weapons licensing

Also some carriers such a Tiger Air will NOT carry firearms. Qantas will - no need to advise but you need to get a free permit from Qantas to carry ammo.

When you arrive at Darwin you will collect your rifle(s) from a different part of the airport - not far from the luggage belt. They MAY ask to see your licence. At check in almost for certain you'll need to show a weapons licence. I get asked sometimes.
    Make sure you have ammo in your suitcase & bolt (if applicable). Limit of 5 kilograms (11 lbs) of ammo is allowed.

Note NO semi-auto firearms
    No handguns

Suggest either a bolt action or a double.

ActionBob and Opposite Pole like this.

13. Opposite Pole

Opposite Pole GOLD SUPPORTER AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SSAA; PZŁ, SCI, KŁ Sęp
    Hunted:
    Australia, Poland
    Virgin also carries guns.

Dr Ray likes this.

14. Dr Ray

Dr Ray AH Elite