AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
Life Member Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation, NRA, Huntin' Fool, DSC and Pope and Young Club
Hunted
USA, Mexico, Canada, RSA, Australia NT, Zimbabwe
Good Evening All,
First let me start by admitting I am not a ML guy. I just bought my son an A&H 420 for his deer hunt. Does anyone have experience with this rifle? Need a good place to start, it is set up for 209 primers. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

I happen to own a Austin Halleck muzzleloader it is not the same model but it doesn't matter. They are a fine muzzleloader, super accurate, they love sabot loads in the 250 grain range. A little hard to take apart and clean up but a damn fine muzzleloader. They are SUPER ACCURATE. I think you could easily load it up to 150 grains of powder, I used 100 grains of powder to kill deer...DRT.

I happen to own a Austin Halleck muzzleloader it is not the same model but it doesn't matter. They are a fine muzzleloader, super accurate, they love sabot loads in the 250 grain range. A little hard to take apart and clean up but a damn fine muzzleloader. They are SUPER ACCURATE. I think you could easily load it up to 150 grains of powder, I used 100 grains of powder to kill deer...DRT.
Thanks enysse, would ya use pellets or loose grain? I bought a good mix of sabots yesterday, shockwave 250, hornady GMX 250 and nosler HG partitions also 250 gr. also have pyrodex and triple 7 pellets.

I would go ahead and use pellets, I think powder is messy. And since you are a big bore guy, 150 grains should be nothing to you, it's nothing for me and it's basically my standard load every day. I'm sure the shockwaves will be awesome. I bought a ton of hornady SST's over 10 years ago and they are my standard load, though I go have like 100 barnes.
But if the gun is for your son and you are not shooting 200 yds +, 120 grains should be fine for a load and short distances 100 grains should be fine.

I also have an A&H in .50 cal. Fantastic muzzleloader and very accurate. The load it seems to like the best is 3 x50 grain triple seven pellets and Barnes Spit Fire 250 grain. It is a shame they don't make A&H anymore. As Enysee states above, mine also likes the 100 grain pellet loads. Hope your son enjoys the new rifle!

I also have an A&H in .50 cal. Fantastic muzzleloader and very accurate. The load it seems to like the best is 3 x50 grain triple seven pellets and Barnes Spit Fire 250 grain. It is a shame they don't make A&H anymore. As Enysee states above, mine also likes the 100 grain pellet loads. Hope your son enjoys the new rifle!
Thanks, on my way to the gun store now, I'm going to pick up some Barnes to try as well. I've always been interested in the A&H, when I drew a ML elk tag a few years back I bought a 50 bbl for my Encore, wish I had picked up an A&H instead. Beautiful, great feeling rifle!

Good luck with the new rifle, let us know how the trip to the range works out.

I was shooting a 1 inch group with barnes bullets, 100 grains at 100 yards.

Enysse, i love the accuracy of the A&H, I have to admit it is the most accurate at 100 yards in the gun cabinet, modern rifles included!

It was one of the best muzzleloader ever built, bar none. I thought the same thing adgunner.

Alright guys,
I struck out on Barnes spitfires(did pick up 3 boxes of 416 banded solids though). So we have 250 shockwaves, hornady XTP 250 gr and nosler partition HG's. I cleaned the gun thoroughly and fired two at 25, zero was good @ 1-1/2" low.
Cleaned gun again, might have slathered to much bore butter in it.
100 yards:
Fired 3 consecutive shots at big bottom orange dot(these were the noslers).
Ran a couple patches through her and fired two hornady's(just left of center bull).
Ran a couple more patches and fired two shockwaves(top group).
All were fired with two T7 pellets and fed 209's. the top two groups were point of aim on the small dot.
The scope is a turd(bushnell banner) but came on the gun so I tried it. After my boys hunt I will put proper glass on this thing. I am impressed with this thing, all three printed two inside an inch, I'm gonna chalk the flyer up to my assload of bore butter.
image.jpg

Mine really liked the open nose Barnes muzzleloader bullets, but it did like the Hornady 250 SST which are the shock waves. I was essentially hitting the diamond on your orange target circle.

Bullthrower, very similiar results to what i experienced, most loads produced 1 inch groups or less. Looks like your son is off to a good start with that rifle!

Now I just have to pick a bullet and make some scope adjustments. I also am going to test three pellets and shoot at 200 yds. I am leaning toward the shockwave, it worked very well on a large bull I took in New Mexico a few years back. Thanks for the help guys!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SunnyOkn64

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois