Aussie Boar Hunters?

Aussie_Hunter

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Australia/NZ
Any of you Aussie hunters out there smacking any boars this year? I haven't been on this forum all that much the last few months as I have been spending nearly every spare second I have out hunting.

I have been using my Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott quite a bit this year, I know this is way over the top for pig hunting but I hunt a lot of really thick stuff where I often have to shoot through brush, grass etc so I have basically been using it as a "brush gun", it works a treat!

Out on the open headlands I have been using my Steyr Scout Ranger in 308 with a Leupold VX1 2-7 on top. The set trigger on the Steyr is unbelievable and makes those longer more precise shots a lot easier. I have been running Woodleigh 165 grain Protected Points through the Steyr, leaving the 20" barrel at 2690fps.

Id love to hear about the rifles the rest of you Aussie boar hunters are using, please feel free to comment below and would also love to see some pics of the boars you have been getting this year.

I've attached a few pics of just some of the boars I have hunted so far this year, hopefully a few more big boys to come yet before the wet season starts.

Aussie Boar Hunting 1.JPG
Aussie Boar hunting 2.JPG
Aussie Boar Hunting 3.JPG
Aussie Boar Hunting 4.JPG
Aussie Boar Hunting 5.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I use a Sako stainless steel barrel in synthetic stock. I’m using a 130 grain bullet.
I haven’t been out since November - covid is the reason and I’m way too busy in my practice.
Next year after the wet season in the Northern Territory I’ll be going on st least one buffalo hunt and perhaps two using my 426 Remington magnum.
Woodleigh wants me to try their 450 protected points Bullets in this caliber.

Heres some pics, various calibre and rifles. Few from late last year.
Yesterday Riby highland stalker 275 Rigby 140PPSN

Rigby 9.3x62 232 PPSN

Bomb up 9.3x62

rem 700 338-06 180 PPSN

Charles lancaster Lee Speed 150r PPU

Fierce CT edge 300WSM 178 eldx

winchester 264WM 140gr accubond

merkel 450-400 400r DGX

404 jeffery Brno 602 350gr PPSN

Attachments

• 8KgvKW.jpg
    8KgvKW.jpg
    340.5 KB · Views: 270
  • eLC6vQ.jpg
    eLC6vQ.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 255
  • g6rCuU.jpg
    g6rCuU.jpg
    323.7 KB · Views: 270
  • GPPgs5.jpg
    GPPgs5.jpg
    308.1 KB · Views: 251
  • iiAAIP.jpg
    iiAAIP.jpg
    406.1 KB · Views: 294
  • jrH8h8.jpg
    jrH8h8.jpg
    344.5 KB · Views: 344
  • LIVuWH.jpg
    LIVuWH.jpg
    403 KB · Views: 270
  • OcVyxt.jpg
    OcVyxt.jpg
    449.9 KB · Views: 278
  • SB9E6u.jpg
    SB9E6u.jpg
    427.7 KB · Views: 270
  • UwjgpE.jpg
    UwjgpE.jpg
    207.9 KB · Views: 269
  • wE8Cgi.jpg
    wE8Cgi.jpg
    422.9 KB · Views: 296
  • zFuVIp.jpg
    zFuVIp.jpg
    474.9 KB · Views: 272
264, I'm not too sure which I like the most, the fine array of hogs you took, or the rifles you took them with. Well on second thought It would have to be the rifles. One of the beauties of hunting hogs is that they are susceptible to a wide range of calibers. I see that your preferred shot placement is the same as mine with little to no loss of meat.

Any of you Aussie hunters out there smacking any boars this year? I haven't been on this forum all that much the last few months as I have been spending nearly every spare second I have out hunting.

I have been using my Kimber Caprivi in 458 Lott quite a bit this year, I know this is way over the top for pig hunting but I hunt a lot of really thick stuff where I often have to shoot through brush, grass etc so I have basically been using it as a "brush gun", it works a treat!

Out on the open headlands I have been using my Steyr Scout Ranger in 308 with a Leupold VX1 2-7 on top. The set trigger on the Steyr is unbelievable and makes those longer more precise shots a lot easier. I have been running Woodleigh 165 grain Protected Points through the Steyr, leaving the 20" barrel at 2690fps.

Id love to hear about the rifles the rest of you Aussie boar hunters are using, please feel free to comment below and would also love to see some pics of the boars you have been getting this year.

I've attached a few pics of just some of the boars I have hunted so far this year, hopefully a few more big boys to come yet before the wet season starts.

View attachment 370411View attachment 370412View attachment 370413View attachment 370414View attachment 370415
@Aussie Hunter.
Big is good. Since they took our semi autos away my philosophy has been If'n I can't put more holes in them I'll put bigger holes in them. Due to a shoulder injury I sold my SMLE NO4 444 Marlin, great pig stopper but the had to be put back together for photos. The Whelen works a treat and my 25 is great for longer ranges. My son loves his 08 for pigs or the shotgun with slugs and 000SGs.
Unfortunately we had good rain down our way and pigs are hard to find in shoulder high grass.
Bob

Heres some pics, various calibre and rifles. Few from late last year.
Yesterday Riby highland stalker 275 Rigby 140PPSN

Rigby 9.3x62 232 PPSN

Bomb up 9.3x62

rem 700 338-06 180 PPSN

Charles lancaster Lee Speed 150r PPU

Fierce CT edge 300WSM 178 eldx

winchester 264WM 140gr accubond

merkel 450-400 400r DGX

404 jeffery Brno 602 350gr PPSN
@264
Good pigs mate love the Lee Speed.

Heres a few more.........

Merkel 450-400 400gr woodie
nC92Yl.jpg

Barrett fieldcraft 308 150 bullet factory
4XCh1U.jpg

Fieldcraft 308
pAAUBd.jpg
QekVSZ.jpg

Greener 577 2 3/4 light nitro 650 woodleigh RNSP
OsZifx.jpg

William Evans .318 250RNSP
TQJz8w.jpg
0wfbca.jpg

Wow AH, you have a forrest of nice rifles. If you were to choose one of those, which yould it be? I would be torn between the Highland Stalker and the 450/400 double, but the double would clinch it.

I really like wild pigs from south Texas but they eat a lot of crops. Like Foxi asked how do you prepare that much pork tucker!
@Gemsbok45
Preparing that much pork is easy and eating it is as well, make a lot of salamis and Italian sausage.
50 pounds at a time
Bob

Generally I recover most for dog food Take smaller ones for meat of good country If they are in hard country and feeding on carcasses I don't utilise them
We have had a very good wet season and the condition of the pigs is very good
Take some for hams and bacon.

Climate / conditions and distance have a large impact on what we do with meat here. Im lucky enough to have a chiller set up

Id probably go with one of the rigby's Although I'm pretty happy with anything in a model 70, in my hands

Cheers Mick
Hams in smoker
Ol2atB.jpg

recovered for dog food
6d4Bxj.jpg
9XPcDA.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LynnePhife

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg