AH ambassador
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Member of
NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
I searched the whole auction catalog. I believe these are the deals this time:

A very reasonable small bore single shot with nice optics:

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...alelot=A0317+++1219+&refno=++111048&saletype=

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 3.59.46 PM.png

A lovely 8x57:360 double rifle that has an auction estimate around $2000!

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...alelot=A0317+++1207+&refno=++107602&saletype=

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 4.00.05 PM.png

A really nice and very rare 250-3000 savage made by Mauser on a KURZ action for 800-1200 pounds! (should be a $5000 gun)

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...?salelot=A0317+++1121+&refno=++109865&image=0

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 4.00.28 PM.png

A really, really nice economy Mauser made .375HH that was rebarreled. This gun is superior to any 375 I've seen for sale for less than $5000. Estimate of around 1200-1600 pounds! Has $800 pivot mounts! Has $500 leather wrapped recoil pad! Modern rebarrel in London! Damned nice:

http://auctions.holtsauctioneers.co...?salelot=A0317+++1123+&refno=++111568&image=1

Screen Shot 2017-03-07 at 4.00.43 PM.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I would be seriously interested in the 250 Sav if I knew that once purchased I could have it sent to the US. I checked with Customs but they are focused on issuing licenses for commercial operations rather than one-time imports. Anyone have information on how to go about buying a rifle that would qualify as C&R and getting it to the US?

Yes. @Ray B i have a gun dealer that will fetch it up for you for around $500-$600 plus perhaps some freight to your FFL once he gets it into the states. He makes the trip about every two months to the UK for this purpose. PM me for Dan Morgan in Woodstock Vermont's contact info.

Agreed, by the way. A kurz action gun for even 2000 pounds is a steal. It would retail at $5000 here easily.

Thanks for posting Rookhawk, I've seen a few really nice ones at Holt's over the years, but have always been concerned about the import, tax, etc.

My gun smith purchased my Hyem 375 h&h form an auction house in the uk
I has been a problem with recoil and the scope mounts.
I discovered some had removed a large amount timber from the stock. This was discovered this when I removed the but pad.
Also someone had fitted a buzzel brake. This had to be ground off.
The swing off mounts,well that's another story.
All I would say it be very very careful before you purchase a gun from any auction house.
The question is why do people sell guns via auctions, maybe they have something to hide
It was my first and last time. Never never again

My gun smith purchased my Hyem 375 h&h form an auction house in the uk
I has been a problem with recoil and the scope mounts.
I discovered some had removed a large amount timber from the stock. This was discovered this when I removed the but pad.
Also someone had fitted a buzzel brake. This had to be ground off.
The swing off mounts,well that's another story.
All I would say it be very very careful before you purchase a gun from any auction house.
The question is why do people sell guns via auctions, maybe they have something to hide
It was my first and last time. Never never again
That is wise counsel - wherever and whenever one buys an older gun. I almost never buy from an auction if I, or trusted agent, can't physically see the weapon. An exception are on line sites which offer an inspection period. Or perhaps the truly unique thing where rareness or coolness overrides risk. A couple of fellows in the U.K. offer a buying service where they act as your agent. However, at some point, his fee and importation costs begin to out weigh the bargain.

Here's the deal with Holts. Prices are often good,but greed or foolishness get the best of people.

Take a Holts high auction estimate and add 20%, that's the price it will likely fetch. Take that price and double it, that's the cost of the item in dollars by the time it is in your hand.

2500 pound double rifle, sells for 3000 pounds, you own it for around $6000 dollars after all the fees and charges you overlooked. Still a fine value, just not what most were anticipating.

If anyone wants a condition report just email them at holts. I think they do alot of exporting to the USA too. Ive bought and sold through them a few times and they have always been superb to deal with.

I had a bid on the 250-3000; the expected range was 800-1200 GBP; with the auction fees, shipping, duty & misc I figured a bid of up to 2000 GBP would be my maximum- it sold for nearly 5000 GBP- translates to a total fees of about $10,000. More than I was comfortable spending. whoever got the rifle- congratulations!!

I had a bid on the 250-3000; the expected range was 800-1200 GBP; with the auction fees, shipping, duty & misc I figured a bid of up to 2000 GBP would be my maximum- it sold for nearly 5000 GBP- translates to a total fees of about $10,000. More than I was comfortable spending. whoever got the rifle- congratulations!!

It was a $6000 gun all day. Glad you avoided it, Ray. Too much.

Sometimes there are deals. This didn't end up being one.

Thanks Rookhawk for pointing the auction out to me- even though I wasn't "successful" (actually I was), it was a great experience and I learned a lot about the site and the process. (y)(y)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
profibrahim

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you