Assisting in identifying a type of Boere Mauser?

Gert Odendaal

AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
SAJW
Good day members.

I need some assistance in identifying a unique Boere Mauser.

Scenario: Correct me if I am wrong, the 7x57 Mauser my fore -fathers , the Boer fighters used in the Anglo Boer war used was the split-bridge Mauser? The Model 1893/1895 Mauser chambered for the 7×57 cartridge.

A very old person , 84 years of age handed a 7x57 Mauser in yesterday at the gunsmith shop. Attached to the 7x57 Mauser is a story. During the Anglo Boer war his grandfather used this Mauser in war. His horse was shot dead under him , the bullet traveled through his leg and through the horse.

He fell and was taken as prisoner by the English( British soldiers) Fortunately the Mauser rifle, the saddle with the hole in was recovered by his fellow Boer fighters. His grand child, the old person unfortunately do not have sons and can not hand the 7 x 57 Mauser to a son of his...so now he gave it to the gunsmith shop.

Coming back to the scenario: Split bridge Mausers, the Model 1893/1895....but what now if the 7x 57 Mauser has a M89 action, build by the Deutsche Waffen-und Munitionfabriken Berlin, the serial number being no 31. Another strange making is the three circles staggered as a triangle on every part of this 7x 57 Mauser.

Left hand side of back sights is a C7mm marking.
Left side of receiver 3 x crowns, 2,4 gG.B.P under this marking is ST.m.G

Is this a custom made Mauser in the 1889 era for someone to used in the Ango-Boer war, three year war in South Africa?

I really would like to hear from any one who can tell me more about this rifle.

My take on this rifle: It can be a O.V.S Mauser...

Regards

Gert

Here are the photos:
Note the magazine bottom plate , it is the same as a Portuguese Mauser...
P1111286_zpstjxlbyoc.jpg
P1111285_zpsf7imsznt.jpg
P1111283_zpsx670m2cn.jpg
P1111279_zpscno85dhb.jpg
P1111279_zpscno85dhb.jpg
P1111282_zpsx8sth6d9.jpg
P1111280_zpsm8ctwspp.jpg
P1111281_zpsaoefywjs.jpg
P1111278_zpsgp5xkyfv.jpg

Attachments

• P1111279_zpscno85dhb-2.jpg
    P1111279_zpscno85dhb-2.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 354
  • P1111279_zpscno85dhb.jpg
    P1111279_zpscno85dhb.jpg
    196.3 KB · Views: 537
  • P1111282_zpsx8sth6d9.jpg
    P1111282_zpsx8sth6d9.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 358
  • P1111278_zpsgp5xkyfv.jpg
    P1111278_zpsgp5xkyfv.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 375
  • P1111286_zpstjxlbyoc.jpg
    P1111286_zpstjxlbyoc.jpg
    392.4 KB · Views: 442
  • P1111281_zpsaoefywjs.jpg
    P1111281_zpsaoefywjs.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 980
  • P1111283_zpsx670m2cn.jpg
    P1111283_zpsx670m2cn.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 320
  • P1111280_zpsm8ctwspp.jpg
    P1111280_zpsm8ctwspp.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 1,299
  • P1111285_zpsf7imsznt.jpg
    P1111285_zpsf7imsznt.jpg
    179.2 KB · Views: 512
I really would like members to tell me where this Mauser fits in the Anglo Boer war?

The trigger guard with the hinged floor plate release is identical to the one on my 1909 Argentine Mauser which was also produced in Germany under government contract.

There is a Mauser collectors website. I will look it up and post it. Probably someone there can help you.

As I understand it the Boer government bought the "Boer" Mauser in bulk, but any mauser would do towards the end and a number of contracts were issued over time.

Gert..............are you sure this is an 1889 Mauser? It looks like a model 93 to me. Since DWM didnt start in Berlin until 1896 it does raise a question or two....best of luck in your quest..............................FW Bill

Gert..............are you sure this is an 1889 Mauser? It looks like a model 93 to me. Since DWM didnt start in Berlin until 1896 it does raise a question or two....best of luck in your quest..............................FW Bill

I will go back and make sure...

Whatever happens, this RELIC cannot be destroyed via the SAPS system... make a plan to keep it healthy, Gert.

Members
I finally got the answer regarding the origin of this Mauser with all the different parts..a extremely knowledgeable member on another forum gave me the solution to my question..

" As the rifle is a mix of DWM made features, M98 action and Mauser-Vergueiro or Argentine 1909 type bottom metal, but has German civilian proofmarks, I think it was made by DWM as a "promotional gift" like the "Plezier Mauser" sporters that accompanied military rifle shipments to the Boer republics. "

Here is some more info: ( courtesy of forum member)

P1111280_zpsm8ctwspp.jpg

The crow/N is the civilian proof marks.CROWN-crown/N = proofed using the "4000 atm smokeless proof powder" for a service load of
2.4 gramme of military rifle flaked powder, the StmG =Steel jacketed bullet.

Here is another mentioning of these Mauser rifles as gifts:
"First, it is not a Plezier rifle! That name is used for the upgrade ones with long, octagonal barrel, sent by DWM to South Africa, only.
It’s an "Army Hunting" or C rifle put together by Mauser for DWM, intended to be a gift for promotional purposes and numbered in a special range, note the low 62 serial number. There was some variation in the exact configuration of the type C rifles. As Jon Speed already wrote, Original Oberndorf Sporting Rifles, page 112: “Similar rifles were made up by Mauser using DWM parts.”

"In Argentina the Armed Forces Mauser, both M1891 and 1909 were 7,65x53 Mauser (by the way THE FIRST really Mauser designed smokeless powder cartridge and modern even by actual standards...). Not the 7x57 that was very little known here. I will try to find the pictures of my friend´s DWM Army Sporter, also in 7x57, but made with a 1898 Mauser Action with the same magazine floor plate as the Argentine 1909 Mauser, but with original double trigger made as part of the magazine as in the Original Sporting Mausers. I think these DWM sporters we find here in Argentina came from another source than the "official gifts" made with the shipment of the militay contracts...
Thank you for the Proof Mark information!"

Another one:
"As I wrote elsewere, DWM sometimes had their "promotional gift" rifles put together by their subsidiary Mauser, because DWM lacked a commercial shop of their own.
BTW, about the DWM-Mauser Relations: Many of the Brazilian 7x57 1908 military rifles are marked on the receiver wall "Deutsche Waffen- und Munitionsfabriken Oberndorf a.N."! DWM, Berlin had the order, but for capacity reasons subcontracted the actual making to their subsidiary Mauser, Oberndorf. "

Thank you again to the gentleman that gave me this info from the other forum..I really appreciate it.

Attachments

• P1111280_zpsm8ctwspp.jpg
    P1111280_zpsm8ctwspp.jpg
    221.3 KB · Views: 297
At any rate it's a beautiful rifle and I would give my eye teeth to get my hands on one. So many of those type rifles here in the states someone at some point sporterized or rechambered or did something else to ruin the beautiful guns. I hope I will be at the right place at the right time one day to get a beauty like that.

At any rate it's a beautiful rifle and I would give my eye teeth to get my hands on one. So many of those type rifles here in the states someone at some point sporterized or rechambered or did something else to ruin the beautiful guns. I hope I will be at the right place at the right time one day to get a beauty like that.
Gizmo
Here are still a lot of these old original Mausers, the difficulty is to permanently import it to the USA..it can be done especially if a PH or hunter can take it to you in the USA. So you still will be able to own one of this old stalwarts,.....

That would be great. I wonder what the process would be to do that and what do those rifles go for in SA?

Damnit, this thread just cost me a bunch of $$$$. I just bought 2 mauser's one m48 and one m24/47 collector select grades from Mitchell's mauser's. :eek:
I've been wanting a couple for quite some time so this thread inspired me. I hold you personally responsible for my lack of self control. :D:D:p

I accept full responsibility for being the culprit that enticed you to purchase some of the old stalwarts...now you need to shoot them for them to be functional...Gizmo..:D This thread will not be completed without photos of your purchase....:A Banana:

Haha! They should be here in a week and a half at my local ffl. Once I pick them up and have a chance to bring them out without my wife catching me I'll post pics. As is I'm going to have to smuggle them in the house into the safe without getting caught. I would still loooove a boer war Mauser tho!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack849688

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg