ASAT camo in Africa

375er

AH fanatic
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
I am wondering if anyone has used it and how well did it work? I have a leafy suit I have had good success with but Africa could be a different story. All opinions welcome!

You would certainly amuse your PH and the staff. ;) Seriously, unless you are planning to stalk game with a bow (as opposed to shooting from a blind) camo is of little utility in Africa - in some places it isn't even legal. If hunting with a rifle, olive drab is the way to go. Shorts or trousers - long sleeve or short - it blends in really well.

IMG_4092.JPG

You would certainly amuse your PH and the staff. ;) Seriously, unless you are planning to stalk game with a bow (as opposed to shooting from a blind) camo is of little utility in Africa - in some places it isn't even legal. If hunting with a rifle, olive drab is the way to go. Shorts or trousers - long sleeve or short - it blends in really well.

View attachment 422035

Thanks RedLeg, I was just considering it as an option because I can throw it on over any clothing and be camoflaged.

View attachment 422035
I fully agree with you, but scroll to the 4 minute mark on this video. I was very surprised to see this.

Link to a video? I don't see one.
Hmmm I don’t know, it shows up when I look at my post and your reply. It’s a Buchanan hunts YouTube video called This is Africa Season 2 - Lord of the North Episode 1
8892EA7A-8A9D-4DCF-BBC3-9F73E9153162.png

Link popped up..must have just taken a bit to load.

Asat camo is brand of camo clothes.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.08.57 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.08.57 AM.png
    5.3 MB · Views: 88
I've never been one for Camo clothes
I was given a Camo hat and a Olive shirt by my PH. I was wearing green work issue cargo pants.

Day 2 in the field I was in a cream colour cotton work shirt like I wear reguarly because we were traveling light. It stood out in the field like a beacon.

The only thing worse was the day I hunted in shorts my legs, wow. They never see the sun but I wanted to hunt like the Africans do. Scratched legs and all.

I don't think we lost anything but I learned from it.
I started using Camo a bit back home walking the creek, even just throwing a jacket over my Hi Vis shirt after work then going for a walk along the creek with a rifle.

For creeping about in the mopani, I found that the Polish woodland camouflage pattern works very well: https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/ts-tsh-co-t-shirt-cotton.html#2413 The chap I go with dresses up in a 'Realtree' t-shirt, but who wants to wander about dressed up as a tree?

Personally, I prefer the plain olive drab long-sleeve Westley-Richards shirts: https://www.westleyrichards.com/the-expedition-shirt-in-brushed-bush-green. I got a pocket for a Beretta gel pack sewn into the shoulder: https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/beretta-recoil-reducer-evo/og421000010560uni/

Try to avoid man-made fabrics, as you will sweat (more) into them. Cordura and rip-stop are good against thorns.

The ASAT stuff looks incredibly light to me. In the bush, you blend in better with green shirts and brown trousers, that being the basic colour scheme of trees.

Don't forget your Trumpie, and buy another one for your PH: https://www.amazon.com/Donald-Trump...&refinements=p_4:GRIFIL+ZERO&s=apparel&sr=1-1

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.09.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.09.59 AM.png
    1,004.1 KB · Views: 84
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.10.02 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.10.02 AM.png
    1 MB · Views: 72
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.10.23 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.10.23 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 74
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.10.42 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.10.42 AM.png
    922.8 KB · Views: 76
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.11.10 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-04 at 8.11.10 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 80
Darker earth tones as @Red Leg suggested. Dark browns, greens and mostly cotton clothing works well for most African hunting. I say mostly cotton because I do like my dark green fleece zip up and watch cap for chilly mornings. Cotton also keeps the clothing quiet for stalking in close.

Holy S##t ! £195 or $270 for a shirt to drag through the bush ! I take shirts/clothing that is approaching it’s end of life in my possession and leave it for the staff.

Yeah I googled that too, and it's a no from me.
I like nice stuff but that is Expensive nice stuff.
R.M.Williams is an Australian brand sold worldwide.
Even a dress shirt will be less than the Westley Richards stuff.
It lasts, I know this as I have bought a lot over time and even as it's downgraded to workwear the quality still holds on for quite a bit of use.
Holy S##t ! £195 or $270 for a shirt to drag through the bush ! I take shirts/clothing that is approaching it’s end of life in my possession and leave it for the staff.

Clothing color depends on your style of hunting. How do you plan to hunt- gun or bow? If bow, do you plan to waterhole or spot and stalk? All things are relevant here with your question.

For creeping about in the mopani, I found that the Polish woodland camouflage pattern works very well: https://www.helikon-tex.com/en_eur/ts-tsh-co-t-shirt-cotton.html#2413 The chap I go with dresses up in a 'Realtree' t-shirt, but who wants to wander about dressed up as a tree?

Personally, I prefer the plain olive drab long-sleeve Westley-Richards shirts: https://www.westleyrichards.com/the-expedition-shirt-in-brushed-bush-green. I got a pocket for a Beretta gel pack sewn into the shoulder: https://estore.beretta.com/en-eu/beretta-recoil-reducer-evo/og421000010560uni/

Try to avoid man-made fabrics, as you will sweat (more) into them. Cordura and rip-stop are good against thorns.

The ASAT stuff looks incredibly light to me. In the bush, you blend in better with green shirts and brown trousers, that being the basic colour scheme of trees.

Don't forget your Trumpie, and buy another one for your PH: https://www.amazon.com/Donald-Trump-America-Adjustable-Baseball/dp/B07ZBY8Z3D/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&qid=1630744370&refinements=p_4:GRIFIL+ZERO&s=apparel&sr=1-1
I am sure you have vast African experience, :unsure: but the WR shirt is a ridiculous investment. First of all, it is heavy. I have hunted in August a lot of places south of the Sahara, but a heavy shirt, cotton or otherwise, is simply a bad choice most of the hunting day - however many cute cartridge pockets it may have. And at that price you are buying a fashion statement not a hunting shirt. Just saying.

And who trails a buffalo with a jell pack on their shoulder?!? Shooting doves in Cordoba maybe - but hunting Africa?!? Buy a smaller rifle.

And I am more than happy to leave my politics on this shore.

I am wondering if anyone has used it and how well did it work? I have a leafy suit I have had good success with but Africa could be a different story. All opinions welcome!
Funniest story I ever heard a PH tell was of one of his hunters, a bow hunter, insisting on stalking around in a leafy suit (ghillie suit). Had to get rescued from a wait-a-bit, literally had to get cut out of it!
:):)

Last edited:
Thanks all! I think I have learned learned what I need to know. I had similar thoughts but wanted to ask the experienced people on here.

I bought my first ASAT bowhunting outfit, pants, Jacket and boonie hat in the late 80's. Nothing special, just a heavy cotton fabric. I hunted with that set up for several years. Still have it in the closet. I took the Boonie hat with me to SA last month and the Outfitter had no clue of that pattern and absolutely loved it. I'm not sure about wearing the whole outfit?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.