Arriving with rifle in South Africa But going to hunt in Mozambique

Cleo Benaion

Reaction score
Member of
SAFARI CLUB INTERNATIONAL - OFFICIAL MEASURER, ROWLAND WARD OFFICIAL MEASURER
Hunted
South Africa, Brasil, Argentina, Uruguay
Dear members, I'm going to hunt in September in Mozambique. Naturally I'll take my rifle. I live in Brazil and everything here is harder than in the rest of the world. So Im planninh go to Johannesburg 2 or 3 days before boarding to Maputo to buy some things (a new courteney boot, rifle scope and other acessories). Will I have trouble getting rifle in Jburg since I will not hunt in South Africa this time? What I can do?

I would thing you will need to complete a sap 520 form, it's not difficult. Or you could use a company that will undertake all the required paperwork, but this does cost.
All the best

Ask @riflepermits.com what to do. Also whoever you are planning on hunting with in Moz, ask them about import on their side as well

Typically, you need a proper motivation to enter any country with a firearm.

Do you know an Outfitter in RSA?
Perhaps you can arrange a one day hunt!

This ensures the letter of invitation and the proper motivation for your requirement for backup on your Courtney hunt. :)

Thanks for all! Will pick a letter of invitation and stay with this on the pocket. But Will try to talk with @riflepermits.com first.

Last edited by a moderator:
Last edited by a moderator:
You should need no letter of invitation from a South African outfitter to simply transit to your hunting destination in Mozambique - even if pausing a couple of days. The Mozambique letter, which you will need, should suffice. You do have to fill out their import (SAPS520) form and have a storage plan for the rifle. I would use one of the guest houses which specialize in arriving and departing hunters who can store it while you are a guest.

Red Leg, Can you send me the name of one of these guest houses?

African Sky
Afton House

À noite, que área você vai estar caçando?

Typically, you need a proper motivation to enter any country with a firearm.

Do you know an Outfitter in RSA?
Perhaps you can arrange a one day hunt!

This ensures the letter of invitation and the proper motivation for your requirement for backup on your Courtney hunt. :)
Brickburn is correct, if the rifle spends the the night in S.A., you need the permit. And you have to have a letter of invitation to get the permit. I just finished this process about 1 month ago.

Ótimo lugar para caçar, botas de Courtney pode não ser o melhor para usar para a caça nos pântanos.

You going to want light quick drying boot.

Afton house helped me out a lot with this

Interesting - I have four times "entered" the RSA, spent the night with weapons, exited the RSA, and continued to my out of country destination. In fairness, I have not paused multiple days. Never have I used a bogus invitation letter. Sounds like an interesting subject of discussion to be raised by even a half alert police official.

One of this grey areas for sure. If you had an option of leaving it in "intransit" storage, problem solved.
Perhaps HENRY can pull it off.

I have left my rifle in South Africa, while I went off to Botswana, Namibia, Zambia and Zimbabwe. However, I was hunting RSA, I used Africa Sky. Riflepermits offers this service too. I thought Africa Sky did a great job with food, lodging, and storage. However, if I was doing it over. I would use Riflepermits to obtain the permit and store the gun, and stay at either Intercontinental or City Lodge at the airport. The train station is right there at the airport, plus Taxis and Uber.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Efren35C00

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross