ARGENTINA: Has Anyone Bird Hunted With Sierra Madre Outfitters?

matt vejar

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Mex/S.Amer
Hi,
Has anyone bird hunted in argentina with this outfitter -Sierra Madre Outfitters is out of Hermosillo,Mexico. They book sheep and deer hunts in Mexico and dove and duck hunts in Argentina. Any info apppreciated.
Matt Vejar

No - I have booked with them for various deer species for 2021. This is in Mexico obviously and will post how that goes.

@Kelly Malloy do you mind if I send you a PM, I have looked into hunting with them but there is little information out there.

Hi Guys.... If you have any info or hot tips on these guys, let me know ???
I've got a sheep hunt booked with them for Jan '21....
Jim

The only information that I have that is new relates to me having a difficult time reaching them lately. I did finally get a hold of Homer last week. He said they had been really busy sheep hunting and would be responding to client emails very soon.

I have not seen that happen yet. Not nervous yet, but slightly concerned about response times in the lat month. I will be out there with them about the same time you are it sounds like.

Yeah that's the guy that has my cash too!
Of course I heard from some guy out of the blue that he was worried about the operation & their reputation (not exactly sure why..) and he canceled & asked for his deposit back........not sure how that all worked out.

This was posted on another forum, out of respect to AH policies I have not included link:

"Bid a trip January 2019 on Online Hunting Auctions for January 2020 Hunt. Several weeks before my flight, I emailed Homer Canedo , the person I had previously communicated with questions about rifle rental, etc. I asked if the camp furnished any laundry service and he told me the hunt was a tent camp, that I should bring a sleeping bag. I explained that his website had photos of their "accommodations" , rooms with beds with and the same website Indicated...."We have clean and nice housing solutions for all of our hunts!" Homer response was that he could rent a room in a small village , about 2 hour drive from the camp. I choose not to go, Sierra refused any refund, but my hunting partner went. The hunt was on the Seri Indian reservation, tent camp, 8 days with no shower, washing his hands and face with bottled water. He saw 10 mule deer in 8 days, the hunt was a combo Mule and Coues, he never saw a Coues, there was no game waters to sit for Coues. We paid $6250.00 each, the other three hunters in camp had each paid different amounts for the Mule deer hunt , none of them shot a buck. The auction we bid described this hunt as a "donation" by Sierra Madre. On 2/25 /2020 Online Hunting Auctions listed over 30 hunts that were "donated "by Sierra Madre Outfitters. Donated to themselves! Hard to believe that this Company can lie and fail to provide what they claim to offer and still stay in business."

This might be what is causing a bit of a fuss right now.

Wow...That's not encouraging..... Hopefully I wont get screwed here...I'll be sure to report in about ten months time.
Thanks.

I have heard 2 other reports of people hunting sheep with them that went well. I think you should be good. Will update if I hear more, I want to hunt a desert sheep in the worse way!

Well, that's good to hear. Thank you for that.
I'll let you know how it works out......... I got the hunt through another site, and it did seem odd that his 'donation' hunts were 'stand alone' offers from him, and not part of a convention or banquet. Like you, I'm hot to grab at good hunting deals when they pop up. I need to back off on the BIG ones & do a little more checking up, just for peace of mind in the future.
Thanks again,
Jim

I hunted with Sierra Madre in Feb 2019 for Desert Bighorn and Coues deer. I shot a great ram but was unable to find a suitable buck so i will be going back for free (I have to cover my travel, tips) in January 2021. I worked with Armando Klein and he was in hunting camp as well. The camp was great, we had private bedrooms, a chef from town with excellent meals and a great time.

Good luck,

Brent

95A9CDD3-4829-41F8-9D74-676070769A86.jpeg
FFFBC499-8CE7-4835-BFD5-E003D4AF1784.jpeg
521469EC-7A50-4B1B-8A5A-229FCD71BE92.jpeg

Reactions: WAB
Hey there Brent,
Thanks for that report! Your ram is a real beauty too :)
I'm looking forward to the trip.

Jim

Hey there Brent,
Thanks for that report! Your ram is a real beauty too :)
I'm looking forward to the trip.

Jim
Jim: Are you still planning to do your desert sheep hunt, this month? I am considering bidding on a desert sheep hunt with the same outfitter, and the auction closes in 4 hours. As others have noted: just not a lot of information available on SMO, and some of it seems fine, some not so great. Wondering if you've discovered anything new since your last posting? Would appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.

I hunted with Sierra Madre in Feb 2019 for Desert Bighorn and Coues deer. I shot a great ram but was unable to find a suitable buck so i will be going back for free (I have to cover my travel, tips) in January 2021. I worked with Armando Klein and he was in hunting camp as well. The camp was great, we had private bedrooms, a chef from town with excellent meals and a great time.

Good luck,

Brent

View attachment 346551 View attachment 346553 View attachment 346554
Hi Brent: Great looking ram! I am considering going with this same outfitter, and would love to be able to have a phone conversation with you, about your hunt. Any chance you'd be willing to talk with me, at your convenience? Thank you.

Jim: Are you still planning to do your desert sheep hunt, this month? I am considering bidding on a desert sheep hunt with the same outfitter, and the auction closes in 4 hours. As others have noted: just not a lot of information available on SMO, and some of it seems fine, some not so great. Wondering if you've discovered anything new since your last posting? Would appreciate any information you can provide. Thank you.
Yeah. Just saw your message. I am still planning on heading down to Hermosillo on the 10th January.
Hopiing for a successful hunt.
Jim Sheehan

Yeah. Just saw your message. I am still planning on heading down to Hermosillo on the 10th January.
Hopiing for a successful hunt.
Jim Sheehan
I did bid on two sheep hunts they had on auction, but did not win either one.
Hope you have a great hunt and would love to hear about it (and see success photos) after you return. Will you be posting the story and pics, somewhere? Or, could I contact you personally (or, you contact me)? Thanks and safe travels!

I’ll report when I’m back for sure.
seems to be incredibly opposing ‘Good - Bad’ reports.
Im also not on any social media sites ( FB. Insta-chicken’, etc. )
Hopefully I’ll have a good picture or two to send your way

Here is my experience so far...

My Father, Brother in-Law & I were scheduled to Hunt for a Mule Deer tomorrow (Jan 5th - Jan 12th)...

I sent numerous emails to Homer asking to make sure everything was ok with Travel plans, gun info etc & also that someone would be at the airport to pick us up. Kind of a big deal. I Heard nothing back (Sure I get it, he's busy)...

Fast forward to Sunday night (Last Night, the night before we leave to the airport)... I was getting pretty nervous (understandably so) I got on his website and use the chat feature and to my surprise it actually worked & I chatted with someone, Well my worst fear came to light, they knew nothing of us coming to the airport and nothing about our plans to hunt Mule Deer. Nervousness tuned to flat out fear...

So this morning at 5am not knowing what exactly to do, we decide to load up and head to catch our early morning flights and hoping Homer would pull through for us...

Well, Homer did finally emailed me back at 5:43am, telling us not to come because of Covid-19. Since that email I have emailed him 5 times. He's a Ghost. He has all of our Money. We are floored & flabbergasted. Judge for yourselves. I'll update you as soon (if) as Homer emailed me back. Pretty terrible if you ask me.

Sounds like a shite operation....communication is key....especially in these times....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LuciaWains

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg