ARGENTINA: Has Anyone Bird Hunted With Sierra Madre Outfitters?

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Mexico, Central & South America' started by matt vejar, Dec 16, 2017.

1. matt vejar

matt vejar New Member

Video/Photo:
    Hi,
    Has anyone bird hunted in argentina with this outfitter -Sierra Madre Outfitters is out of Hermosillo,Mexico. They book sheep and deer hunts in Mexico and dove and duck hunts in Argentina. Any info apppreciated.
    Matt Vejar

2. Kelly Malloy

Kelly Malloy New Member

No - I have booked with them for various deer species for 2021. This is in Mexico obviously and will post how that goes.

3. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    @Kelly Malloy do you mind if I send you a PM, I have looked into hunting with them but there is little information out there.

4. Kelly Malloy

Kelly Malloy New Member

sure, you can message

5. Jim sheehan

Jim sheehan AH Member

Member of:
    Life-NRA, TU, RMEF, NAHC, DU, also GSCO, NWTF, SCI, AOPA, EAA
    Hunted:
    Azerbaijan,Argentina,New Zealand,Mauritius,South Africa/Limpopo,Kyrgyzstan,Botswana,Burkina Faso,Romania,Scotland,Iceland,UK, Germany,Spain(x5),Austria, Serbia, Portugal,Ireland,Cambridge Bay-Arctic/Nunavut,Nunavik, Canada,USA-CT,NY,MA,RI,FL,GA,MO,WY,CO,TX,UT,AK
    Hi Guys.... If you have any info or hot tips on these guys, let me know ???
    I've got a sheep hunt booked with them for Jan '21....
    Jim

6. Kelly Malloy

Kelly Malloy New Member

The only information that I have that is new relates to me having a difficult time reaching them lately. I did finally get a hold of Homer last week. He said they had been really busy sheep hunting and would be responding to client emails very soon.

I have not seen that happen yet. Not nervous yet, but slightly concerned about response times in the lat month. I will be out there with them about the same time you are it sounds like.

7. Jim sheehan

Jim sheehan AH Member

Member of:
    Hunted:
    Azerbaijan,Argentina,New Zealand,Mauritius,South Africa/Limpopo,Kyrgyzstan,Botswana,Burkina Faso,Romania,Scotland,Iceland,UK, Germany,Spain(x5),Austria, Serbia, Portugal,Ireland,Cambridge Bay-Arctic/Nunavut,Nunavik, Canada,USA-CT,NY,MA,RI,FL,GA,MO,WY,CO,TX,UT,AK
    Yeah that's the guy that has my cash too!
    Of course I heard from some guy out of the blue that he was worried about the operation & their reputation (not exactly sure why..) and he canceled & asked for his deposit back........not sure how that all worked out.

8. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    This was posted on another forum, out of respect to AH policies I have not included link:

"Bid a trip January 2019 on Online Hunting Auctions for January 2020 Hunt. Several weeks before my flight, I emailed Homer Canedo , the person I had previously communicated with questions about rifle rental, etc. I asked if the camp furnished any laundry service and he told me the hunt was a tent camp, that I should bring a sleeping bag. I explained that his website had photos of their "accommodations" , rooms with beds with and the same website Indicated...."We have clean and nice housing solutions for all of our hunts!" Homer response was that he could rent a room in a small village , about 2 hour drive from the camp. I choose not to go, Sierra refused any refund, but my hunting partner went. The hunt was on the Seri Indian reservation, tent camp, 8 days with no shower, washing his hands and face with bottled water. He saw 10 mule deer in 8 days, the hunt was a combo Mule and Coues, he never saw a Coues, there was no game waters to sit for Coues. We paid $6250.00 each, the other three hunters in camp had each paid different amounts for the Mule deer hunt , none of them shot a buck. The auction we bid described this hunt as a "donation" by Sierra Madre. On 2/25 /2020 Online Hunting Auctions listed over 30 hunts that were "donated "by Sierra Madre Outfitters. Donated to themselves! Hard to believe that this Company can lie and fail to provide what they claim to offer and still stay in business."

This might be what is causing a bit of a fuss right now.

9. Jim sheehan

Jim sheehan AH Member

Member of:
    Hunted:
    Wow...That's not encouraging..... Hopefully I wont get screwed here...I'll be sure to report in about ten months time.
    Thanks.

10. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    I have heard 2 other reports of people hunting sheep with them that went well. I think you should be good. Will update if I hear more, I want to hunt a desert sheep in the worse way!

11. Jim sheehan

Jim sheehan AH Member

Member of:
    Hunted:
    Well, that's good to hear. Thank you for that.
    I'll let you know how it works out......... I got the hunt through another site, and it did seem odd that his 'donation' hunts were 'stand alone' offers from him, and not part of a convention or banquet. Like you, I'm hot to grab at good hunting deals when they pop up. I need to back off on the BIG ones & do a little more checking up, just for peace of mind in the future.
    Thanks again,
    Jim

12. brentrphillips

brentrphillips New Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI, RMEF
    Hunted:
    Zimbabwe, Namibia, South Africa, Russia, New Zealand, Australia, Mexico, Canada
    I hunted with Sierra Madre in Feb 2019 for Desert Bighorn and Coues deer. I shot a great ram but was unable to find a suitable buck so i will be going back for free (I have to cover my travel, tips) in January 2021. I worked with Armando Klein and he was in hunting camp as well. The camp was great, we had private bedrooms, a chef from town with excellent meals and a great time.

Good luck,

Brent

95A9CDD3-4829-41F8-9D74-676070769A86.jpeg FFFBC499-8CE7-4835-BFD5-E003D4AF1784.jpeg 521469EC-7A50-4B1B-8A5A-229FCD71BE92.jpeg

WAB likes this.

13. Jim sheehan

Jim sheehan AH Member

Member of:
    Hunted:
    Hey there Brent,
    Thanks for that report! Your ram is a real beauty too :)
    I'm looking forward to the trip.

Jim