ARGENTINA: Argentina Dove Shoot

Discussion in 'Hunting Reports Mexico, Central & South America' started by Ross Reamy, May 11, 2016.

1. Ross Reamy

Ross Reamy AH Senior Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA - Life, DU - Committee Chairman
    Hunted:
    U.S, Mexico, Argentina, South Africa - Limpopo, North West
    Just wanted to share my experience of shooting dove in Argentina in case any one is on the fence about wanting to go. If you enjoy shooting a shotgun, like I very much have from a young age, you need to make a point to go to Argentina. I simply can't put into words the amount of birds.

My wife & I and a good friend had thrown the idea around for a year or so and finally decided to do it this spring. We checked into lots of outfitters but after too many adult beverages at a Ducks Unlimited I bought a hunt during the live auction. I did do a little research before pulling the trigger and the outfitter was comparable in price and accommodations.

We were to hunt with Maers & Goldman and quickly got our 4 day hunt booked for early May. To say I was excited was a huge understatement. I watched tons of YouTube videos and looked at pictures for hours, but nothing could prepare me for how many birds we'd see.

The day finally came, April 30th, to fly out of Dallas to Miami and then to Cordoba. Well thanks to American delaying our flight 3 hours, we missed our flight to Cordoba. So we had to stay a night in Miami, and got on the same 640 pm flight to Cordoba Sunday.

Even after all the travel mess & losing 24hrs of the hunt, we still had good spirits. After a 2hr drive from the Cordoba airport, we arrived at the lodge around 8. As soon as we stepped out of the van, Junior Maers asked if we'd like to go hunting that morning, well hell yeah we do! So we ate a quick breakfast and immediately headed towards the junction of a cut milo and standing corn fields. I won't bore y'all with the numbers from every hunt, but it's safe to say from that first morning hunt to the afternoon shoot around a roost and then doing it all again the following day and the next morning our expectations were completely blown away!

There ended up being four of us that made the trip, and in 2.5 days of hunting we killed right at 5,000 dove/parakeets/pigeons. And we weren't going just balls to the wall, we were picking our shots and going for a high percentage rather than total numbers. The amount of dove in the fields and coming to the roost was just unbelievable.

My wife would go back tomorrow if I'd agree to it! But it will probably be 2018 before we actually get to go back, but I can promise you we will be back. Like I said before, if you like wing shooting you owe it to yourself to get down there. We were absolutely impressed with Maers & Goldman and would more than likely go back thru them. Great customer service from first contact to the last. IMG_0817.JPG

siml, rinehart0050, PeteG and 7 others like this.

2. LivingTheDream

LivingTheDream AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    I want to shoot parkeets bad, I have seen some flocks flying down in Miami and thought wow they fly like doves! Sounds like you had a blast. Thanks for the report.

Ross Reamy likes this.

3. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    Great report. Looks like you had a lot of fun.

4. spike.t

spike.t AH ENABLER SPONSOR Since 2013 AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    zambia, tanzania, zimbabwe, hungary, france, england
  5. PeteG

PeteG AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    Next year?

6. spike.t

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
  7. CAustin

CAustin AH ENABLER BRONZE SUPPORTER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Courtney Hunting Club, NRA Life Member, SCI Kansas City Chapter
    Hunted:
    South Africa, KwaZulu Natal, Kalahari, Northwest, Limpopo, Gauteng, APNR Kruger Area. USA Georgia, South Carolina, Arkansas, New Mexico, North Carolina and Texas
    When you shoot a pile of birds like these folks did I suspect an addiction occurs. Maybe wanting to go back next year and the year after and.....

Oh my sounds like hunting in Africa......another sickness to contend with....
    Must not give into the temptation!!,

Ross Reamy likes this.

8. spike.t

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    sci int, basc,wpaz
    Hunted:
    ok charlie just keep repeating your new mantra .........;)
    upload_2016-5-13_17-58-34.jpeg

9. enysse

enysse AH ENABLER AH Ambassador

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Northeast Wisconsin SCI chapter, Lifetime member of NRA,RMEF
    Hunted:
    Namibia, South Africa (East Cape, Guateng and Limpopo)
    Thanks for the hunt report! It's been on the dream hunt list for a while!!!

I think it would be great to do a AH hunt in Argentina, bird hunting!:cool:

Ross Reamy likes this.

10. rinehart0050

rinehart0050 GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, South Africa (NWP, Limpopo, Eastern Cape); USA (NE, AZ, TX)
    @Ross Reamy Thanks for sharing your hunt report! Sounds like great fun.

Ross Reamy likes this.

11. dory

dory AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand . Namibia .
    A mate of mine who is in his seventies and an absolute shotgun nut has been there twice in the last few years .
    He raved about the people the shooting the hospitality for months after the first trip .
    After the second trip I asked him how it went ?
    He smiled at me like a bloody kid in a lolly shop and said it was better than the first trip !
    It is now on my must do list .
    One day !!!

Ross Reamy likes this.

12. James Cook

James Cook AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    Dallas Safari Club, NRA Life, B.A.S.S., Ducks Unlimted
    Hunted:
    Namibia, Mexico, Argentina, Canada, U.S. - LA, TX, OK, AR, AL, SC, GA
    great report! went with a group to maers & goldman in october 2015. great hunt, nice accommodations - food was extraordinary. very enjoyable trip for the shotgunner. unbelievable amount of dove in the fields - they just keep coming. next to last day, shot 1,000+ birds for the $24.95 cap with their camp logo on it :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2017
    Ross Reamy likes this.