Are these European trophies any good?

... for me (Austrian ProfHunter) it's deffinately no European stag!!!

That’s interesting, we see antlers like these in Poland on Red deer every now and again and @mark-hunter mentioned they see them in Croatia. Mixed, non pure blood gene pool perhaps? The long tines are unusual but I’ve seen Reds like that over here.

As for the colour, few years ago I was helping my grandpa clean his shed and we found a single antler that is white/pale like that. He wasn’t sure when he had shot it, perhaps in the 50s. It’s not a large antler, maybe strong second head or average third head. He had no clue as to the treatment it may have received. They were poor people in a country ravaged by war so meat mattered, antlers not so much.

That the antler is no european is my opinion and this based on a suboptimal photo ...
- but if you look exactly: all ends/tines of the horns goes backside only the Augspross (front tines?) are normal like the stags we know - the horns have no pearls and only slight grooves ... The colour i dont tax = the trophy is nearly 100years old ...

Hi: I'm an American living/working in Germany for the US DoD & acquired my German Jagdschein (Hunting License) in 2004. It is a timely & lengthy process that requires renewal every 1 to 3-yrs w/ FBI background check, weapons cabinet spot checks @ your home by Polezi, etc. You get a DUI & you could be deemed "untrustworthy in society" & that means, lose of Jagdschein for life & certainly means lose of all weapons. Pretty serious chit over here ...

The top photo, both those European Mounts are RehBuck (German) or Roebuck (N. America). Search Reh or Roe on AH & you'll find an Forum w/ pics ...
Top: mature Reh 6-point or Sechser (translation six'er) & good size. 3x3 correct horn development.
Bottom: young Spike (Spiesser) slang Murderer due to the point horns, or, maybe due to the mass a mature Reh w/ genetic flaw & that is quite common w/ Reh.

In Europe: trophy size is measured in grams, clean the skull & we weigh the horns and upper skull without the lower jaw = 300gr, 350gr, etc. Exceptional trophies fall in the 400 to 500gr. & I would guess a 500gr. Reh = 200" Whitetail. I took a 395gr. in CZ.

Could it be cross-bread Red/Sika? They do crossbreed, and like @mark-hunter observed, it looks a bit like the Scottish stags, and they have an issue with the species crossbreeding over there. I don’t know about Austria or Croatia, but in Poland, we do have two small but stable, introduced Sika populations that are problematic as they crossbreed with Reds.

It might be a scottish stag, they are much lower in weight than the continental ones.

Here is mine as a comparison:

Last edited by a moderator:
It might be a scottish stag, they are much lower in weight than the continental ones.

Here is mine as a comparison:

Seems much pic didn’t get through:

IMG_3144.jpg

Correction the large one was shot in 1938 not 1935
Austrian deer?
Oh, than it was the last free Austrian roebuck

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ModestaHac

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg