Are there any bowfishing opportunities in Africa?

ThomasBeaham

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
I am a voracious reader of everything Africa. I do not recall ever reading anything about bow fishing there. Does anyone have stories or pics to post?

Bowfishing

I love bowfishing. I haven't heard of anyone bowfishing in africa though. Hmm.

I saw some pictures, represented to be from Africa, about bowfishing. Man, where were they?

Was it some still pics from that promotional DVD about hunting in Africa at Dries Visser Safaris? Not one of Dries Vissser's normal videos, but shot and hosted by some lunatic North American writer with a goofy hat.

If I think of it I'll post it up here.

happy bowfishing, dv

Hi ThomasBeaman,

South Africa offers excellent bow fishing areas salt and fresh water which consist of a variety of differant fish species. When I have time I will post a few pictures in this thread.

Here is some bow fishing pictures.

Attachments

• Vryheid Kurpers (1).JPG
    Vryheid Kurpers (1).JPG
    116.9 KB · Views: 239
  • Bass 1.2kg (2).JPG
    Bass 1.2kg (2).JPG
    127.4 KB · Views: 214
  • Gras Karp 18kg (1).JPG
    Gras Karp 18kg (1).JPG
    294 KB · Views: 298
Thanks Niel ! The smile on Engee Potgieter's face says it all. Bowfishing is FUN.:)

Nice! Wonder if I can find room for a third bow... :D

happy bowfishing, dv

You are welcome Thomas. Engee and myself are good friends and he sure enjoy his bow hunting and fishing.

Bowfishing is slowly but surely catching on in South-Africa. Great fun indeed.

Bowfishing has grown in leaps and bounds the past couple of years but remember to request if your outfitter does cater for bowfishing and has some experience with it. Indigenous fish species may not be taken but alien species do not and need no special permits. Also make sure that your outfitter obtains the neccesary "fishing/bowfishing permit" from local nature conservation.

All the best,

Engee Potgieter

Thanks for the pictures Niel!

Engee, Thanks for your input on the bowfishing, an area which I am very unfamiliar with. Can you tell us what species of fish are primarily bowfished in South Africa and what are some of the good areas?

Thanks Jerome,

Well the same general "rules" apply here as in the States when bowfishing scanning shallow areas on large water with Polaroid sunglasses will usually get you a fish. The best time however is when fish are spawning, Carp especially congreate in the shallows and increase your chances of getting close enough for a shot. Mozambique Tilapia and Bass can actively be stalked on the banks of dams, lakes and rivers, they are also easier to get a shot at when "nesting" in spawning season. I know that it might sound strange when advising people to shoot spawning or post spawning fish, but one must understand that the fish targeted are alien species which do incredible harm to the eco system and endanger our local fish spesies. Some are in fact on the brink of extinction in their natural habitat. Contact your outfitter ahead of time so theat they can scout for possible areas before your visit. There is a lot of fun to be had when bowfishing and it is a great way to substitute your general hunting or finishing a safari.

-Engee

Great info Engee! When I was young I used to shoot trouts with a .22... I would get the trouts to come to the surface by throwing live grasshoppers and insects on the surface of the water, and it worked very well... Is this something that you have ever tried while bowfishing in Africa... it's like baiting, sort of fly fishing with a bow instead of a line?

Ha ha! Classic Jerome! Yes baiting works well, especially on catfish where you get a whole bunch in a feeding frenzy and pick out the big guys.

Permit or license for bow fishing - South Africa

Hi guys, new to bow fishing and enjoying it. Does anyone know where to or how to get a permit or license for bow fishing? I am based in Mpumalanga.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leonslab

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.