Are red dot sights "catching on" in Dangerous Game hunting?

The red dot sights seem to have the largest following for shooting driven game in Europe. I saw many in use while hunting wild boar in Germany. I did have a battery fail ( borrowed rifle) while shooting driven wild boar, so agree with the idea of changing batteries at the start of an important hunting trip.
My guess is that the smaller reflex sights could be mounted on a double rifle without changing regulation. I'd do it.

Im seriously considering an aimpoint or a trijicon on my .375.. Im planning on doing a cape buff hunt in 2019 and making the decision now as to whether to swap out the 3x9x42 optic I have on the rifle currently with a 1x4 optic of some sort or a red dot..

Right now the red dot is winning the argument thats going on in my head..

I am a big fan of the Aimpoint Micro. Have had one on my 404 Jeffery for probably going on 500 shots.

Have this year alone used it on: Zebra, Bluewildebeest x2, Warthog, Eland, Bushpig and a Giraffe on Wednesday. I shoot Big Bore contests with the rifle and aimpoint and switch it on at the start of the day and off again at the end of the shoot/hunt. Have been on one battery now since last year.

Has anyone been able to mount a red dot or reflex that can co-witness with their iron sights on a DG rifle?

Has anyone been able to mount a red dot or reflex that can co-witness with their iron sights on a DG rifle?

The express sights on my Model 70 .375 (manufactured circa 2013) are too low to co-witness with either the Aimpoint Micros or my EOTechs. However, my EO EXPS3-0 comes with a quick-release lever mount. I think of this sight as my express sights, actually, but in the very rare chance that it isn't working when close to trouble, the thing comes off in about four seconds. I learned from someone else that if it every happens that the thing is dead, I could become quite accurate aligning the front bead with the bottom of the EOTech window to shoot in a hurry at bad-breath distances, which proved to be true. I've never had either of my EO's quit. They are the recent transverse battery tube versions. They replaced my earlier 552's, which also were reliable. My chance of aligning the express sights fast, under pressure, (not just relying on the front bead) at my age is slim to none. I've been using circle-dot reticles for many years, and my usual DG sight is an old Leupold VX3 1.5-5 illuminated with the circle-dot reticle ....which they don't make any more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
pace88win__

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you