Are Neck Shots Preferred Than Broadside Shot To Prevent The Damage Of The Meat?

I was told from one of the deer processor that neck shots are preferred than broadside shot to prevent the damage of the meat. What is your preferred shot?
While I have broken a few necks, mostly because it was the shot that was available at the time, it isn't my preferred shot. The spine is a narrow, flexible target. A near miss can lead to a wounded and lost animal. My grandfather used to tell a story about being fishing. A big buck came down and tried to drink. His jaw had been shot off by someone that had tried a high neck or head shot. A couple of inches off and you have a horror show.
A couple of years ago, A couple of years ago three friends and I went on a moose hunt in BC. One of the guys saw a good bull and shot him in the neck. The bull staggered, my friend thought he would go down, but then he charged off into the brush and trees. We never recovered him.
A well constructed bullet of an adequate caliber through the heart/lung area always results in a dead animal. Nothing lives very long without those two organs working, and even if you miss the heart itself, A big hole through the lungs is still effective. The cartridge and bullet should be able to penetrate the shoulder if you should hit it, and he will still go down.

An ostrich neck shot would be when you are really comfortable with windage, but not so sure if you're shooting high or low. Hell, you've got a couple feet worth of bullet drop without an issue! LMAO
I have made a neck shot on an Emu, this was a long time ago in Oklahoma. Was deer hunting with some friends, an Emu got out and we could not catch it. Buddy said shoot the damn thing. So I did, it was 170 yards.

The thread is a bit old, but....so am I.
I am a north woods hunter primarily, so shots are usually close by most standards...inside 50 yards, but I have taken plenty at up to 200.
I used to take head shots on "meat deer" (does, young bucks,etc.) to make best use of all meat. I still do on occ. I on occ. did make a neck shot, but with only a bit of variance, if the spine is missed the target ran too far before falling, resulting in not finding until a.m. (most of my sightings are before dark). If the spine is hit, bone shrapnel goes all directions probably ruining as much meat as my preferred double lung shot. I learned long ago not to get fancy with shots. If the deer is worth shooting at make the shot count. Go for the money shot.

At the base of the neck, just anterior to the scapulohumeral joint, is the jugular and carotid exit from the thorax (red dot); a shot at that point causes the animal to fall instantly. If you want a withering shot, you must shoot at the cervical vertebrae (green line) or behind the jaw, where there are nerve centers, the carotid bodies (blue dot) that kill the animal with nervous shock. The problem with these points that I have marked is knowing how to locate them well and place the bullet there: when shooting at the spine it is easy to hit higher or lower with the consequent flight of the animal and its slow death; with the shot to the aortic bodies it is easy for him to move his head and miss, break his jaw or spoil the trophy.
The easiest is the shot to the heart (in yellow); the animal will run a few meters before falling but it is an easier shot and it does not spoil almost any meat.
In suidos (wild boar, bushpig, warthog) I prefer shooting at the ear: they don't move their necks as much, the shot is withering and it is relatively far from the trophy (the tusks).
images (3).jpg

Used to neck shoot only.

But now I'd rather waste rib meat, which I always threw out than usable neck meat, which I grind.

I shoot deer facing me right in the middle of the neck and have never had one take a step. DRT and very little meat loss/bloodshot meat. We eat more pigs than deer and all of them get the lights switched off with head shots. No lost meat or messy butchering.

4B8D53A0-8299-416D-8A71-3C84780BA949.jpeg
3F19CC4B-2ECC-4841-B6CF-56E89C6A665E.jpeg
A1C4B034-1CA8-4B17-B4FE-474BC89F9676.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Have seen several animals with lower jaws shot. Animal can't eat or drink and suffer a miserable death. Several outfitters here in Texas I have hunted will not allow head shots for that very reason.

Heads move a lot, you really have to take into account the way the animals is acting. If they are nervous a head shot is probably not the best way to go.
Plus one on that... have seen especially wildboars where the shot was in the jaw and/or blinded the animal while searching their tracks with my dog afterwards...
And of course all shots from guys who can kill a flying bee at 500m with a single shot out of a cold barrel when asking them... that's all bullshit...

If you only loose one animal in your lifetime because of a bad headshot, you could have shot every animal you hunt in three lifes through the lungs and still have lost less meat...

Just my 2 cents...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,