Are Hunters and Outfitters at Odds with Each Other?

A good friend once told me:

Do you want to know how to make a small fortune in the hunting industry?

Start with a big one.

That is so very true!

Louis

I agree , cull hunts make sense to me . I think every hunter should have a few trophies . Maybe a nice Kudu or waterbuck , a zebra skin and some trophies where it was a great challenge to get the specific animal.

After that , I think focus on the experience. It can be a challenge and good experience to do a cull hunt . The way the animal was hunted is just as important to me. I like hunting warthogs , impala and Kudu .

The bigger the challenge The Better . Shooting blesbuck from the bakkie isn't that big challenge.

I think a client will have a great experience to mix a trophy and cull hunt. His money will go further , he will get some more time in the sun and work for the animals.

Willem, you've taken the words out of my mouth.

Having just done a combined trophy and cull hunt in September 2010, I'm in total agreement with what you and Louis have both said.
The PH added a number of cull springbok to the hunt for my mate and I to to take. Everyone of those animals was stalked, no shooting from the vehicle etc and it added immensely to not only the enjoyment of the trip, but to the value as well and it was done at no cost to the outfitter.
Neither of us are 'head collectors' so the experience of the African hunt was everything. Photos, video, memory and in my case, a set of warty tusks, were the only things to come back home.

I'm the kind of bloke who doesn't need or particularly wants a high level of accommodation, a farmhouse with a comfortable bed, local cuisine that makes a lot of use of game animals is just fine with me. Add a couple of cold beers at the end of a long hot day, and I'm very happy camper.

I struggle at times to see the value of any outfitter whose PG day rates are say, $400 a day, compared to another at $275 per day, when according to the information supplied via their websites, there appears to be little difference in their offerings.
At the end of a 7 or 8 day hunt, the difference is another one or two animals and I know which way I'll go.

Willem, I think both you and Louis are on the right path and I believe the value for money hunt will win over the unbelievably cheap, and unsustainable hunt any day.

John

I had guys at the Dallas show coming to me 4x times to lower my prices as they could get the same hunt at a different outfitter at a "show special" which they dd not have to pay any daily rates for 10x days.

Personally I think choosing a outfitter is like going out to dinner. You can go for a cheap night and eat McDonalds or you can do it right and go out for a steak which will cost you little bit more but you get a much higher qaulity meal... Same with hunting.

Good thread and this is just my 2cents,

Best regards,

On the point of DG hunting in South Africa I never understood why the higher daily rates its not like the hunter eats more and sleeps in more fancier lodges its still a hunt as normal you are just hunting dangerous game. Unless the outfitter has to hire an dangerous game PH I suppose. You hunt DG with us you will pay normal day rates and pay your trophy fee or we will make a package but we will not charge higher day fees for DG in South Africa.

Good day Gentleman

Willem yes I agree with you on the matter of hunting blesbuck off the back of a truck LOL they are not very smart to start off with anyway LOL.:)

Since a lot of clients brought up the topic of baby boomers and everyone is very worried about the youth and the fact that young people today just don’t get outside I personally think that giving clients the option to add some cull animals will put them in to a position to bring their family along and share in the splendour of what is Africa with the younger generation.

In my opinion the most important thing when looking for the right outfitter is checking his references, look at his terms and conditions what is included and what not (so it does not become a nickel and dime affair at the end of the day, then one important questions would be what is the level of personal attention each client would get for example, does the outfitter meet you at the airport himself, does he book the camp full or does he book it on per group basis (it might not matter to some but then it will for others).

Bottom line if it sounds too good to be true it usually is?

I also agree with Frederik most South African Outfits are asking normal PG daily rates for their DG hunts so once again our clients save?

It is another good example of how South African operations are trying to promote their DG hunts.

Best regards
Louis van Bergen

Last edited by a moderator:
I have given this some thought before replying,
The short answer is no.
Outfitting is a buisness, the people have to make a living at it. So the market goes up and down with the economy. I think the market has peaked in africa.
I do belive American hunters are not going to reap the benifits because of our dollar shrinking at a steady rate with no end in site.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SVCBoyd46

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg