AR-type Rifles

Lets bring this thread back to life!
I would like to compare notes on some ar15 related points, experienced member comments appreciated!

1. For best accuracy: Barrel twist rate 1/8, what bullet weight and type would you recommend?
2. For cleaning and maintenance of direct impingement system, is there any special recommendation?
I now have a Daniel Defense DDM4V7 (5.56NATO) and made some minor mods like a new grip, trigger and adjustable gas block for use with a suppressor. The first addition was an Aimpoint T2 in a 1.93” QD mount.

I’ve been using Black Hills MK262 that is 77 grain in my 1-8 twist 16” barrel with MOA accuracy when I can do my part.

Cleaning is pretty simple and I don’t get too crazy about it. Give it a good wipe down, brush and lube after a range session and it will be fine. When the round count get into the 5-8K range I’ll consider a deep cleaning.

This is not a showpiece, it’s a working rifle I’m not afraid to run hard.

If I had to do it over again there isn’t much I’d change. Could have saved some money if I’d waited for sale pricing and built it piece by piece, but I wanted something NOW!

I keep my guns in working condition, not in exhibition condition.
77 grains is good indication to start more serious testing. Thanks! Mine is to be used for semi auto competition.

I would like to compare notes on some ar15 related points, experienced member comments appreciated!

1. For best accuracy: Barrel twist rate 1/8, what bullet weight and type would you recommend?
2. For cleaning and maintenance of direct impingement system, is there any special recommendation?
1. For all my ARs with the 1:8 (and also the 1:7), I usually get my best accuracy with bullets in the 75-77grain range; almost always 1/2-3/4 MOA at 100 yards for five shots. My preferred brand these days is AAC from Palmetto State; great quality and accuracy at an attractive price.

2. Sorry, I don't own a direct impingement AR, so I can't help there.

I now have a Daniel Defense DDM4V7 (5.56NATO) and made some minor mods like a new grip, trigger and adjustable gas block for use with a suppressor. The first addition was an Aimpoint T2 in a 1.93” QD mount.

I’ve been using Black Hills MK262 that is 77 grain in my 1-8 twist 16” barrel with MOA accuracy when I can do my part.

Cleaning is pretty simple and I don’t get too crazy about it. Give it a good wipe down, brush and lube after a range session and it will be fine. When the round count get into the 5-8K range I’ll consider a deep cleaning.

If I had to do it over again there isn’t much I’d change. Could have saved some money if I’d waited for sale pricing and built it piece by piece, but I wanted something NOW!
I didn’t know DD made anything other than 1-7. If it’s purely a range toy the 5 k cleaning interval may be okay, but I’d hate to see you get a stoppage with a home a home invader because you didn’t clean it. It doesn’t take long to pull the carrier out and clean it. You may be glad you did.

I didn’t know DD made anything other than 1-7. If it’s purely a range toy the 5 k cleaning interval may be okay, but I’d hate to see you get a stoppage with a home a home invader because you didn’t clean it. It doesn’t take long to pull the carrier out and clean it. You may be glad you did.
My apologies, I fat fingered the twist. It’s 1-7.

I always pull the carrier and disassemble it, but I’m not making it white glove clean…just not completely dirty. Quick brush and spray off followed by liberal lubrication and put it back together. Keep it serviceable and running slick. No more glove inspections for me.

Appreciate your concern for our well being as well as the correction on the twist.

My apologies, I fat fingered the twist. It’s 1-7.

I always pull the carrier and disassemble it, but I’m not making it white glove clean…just not completely dirty. Quick brush and spray off followed by liberal lubrication and put it back together. Keep it serviceable and running slick. No more glove inspections for me.

Appreciate your concern for our well being as well as the correction on the twist.
We’re on the same page then. Mine won’t pass the white glove test either. I do get most of the crud off the carrier and oil it all with engine oil.
I have buddies who just spray rem oil through the ejection port when it starts to sound rough, or jams.

For a 1/8 twist, you are going to be able to stabilize just about everything under 80gr. depending upon your barrel length. I would imagine 62-77 being the sweet spot. I own several..... most are 1:8' likes them all, my custom mini-14 target is 1:9 & it likes the mid 60's.

I have a few 223 , 300blk and a 6.5 Grendel by Mark.
Builds good stuff.
One of my 223s will cut one hole at 100 yards.
Lilja barrel, geiselle trigger, billet upper and lowers matched set with tension screw.
With a NXS 3.3-15 on it I shoot really little groups at 100 yards. It will maintain 1/4-1/2 moa out to 600 yards if I do my part.
To me a 223 is a 400 yard cartridge. Yes you can shoot further with heavier higher bc bullets but I just prefer grabbing a bigger gun.
The Grendel was built for a deer rifle for my daughter. Lilja barrel on that one and it shoots just as well.
ARs can be surprisingly accurate.
Just need to match what you want to do with the right set up.
Unfortunately that means you need more than one.

So the mag is non removable?..if so how do you load it?...probably some simple answer....and I will be a muppet for asking :X3: :E Rofl:
Just pull the back pin and load the mag from the top, works pretty good on the bench without moving my shooting position much. It shoots 10 rounds tho I still have a 5 round spring in it for hunting. You can see in the pic "barley " the spot on the magazine release, there I drilled a hole and taped it and make a 3/4" long screw so the button can not be pushed. Then a little dab of epoxy over the screw to make new york happy.
With 223/5.56 there are loaders you can load from the port without cracking the gun open, they actually work with 4-5 of the 6 arc rounds, but the company could easily redesign it a little to work for the Grendel sized cases.

This gun stays in ny but have others I go out of state with, those I fix the mag a little different by drilling a hole and tapping inside the lower next to the bolt catch. That screw binds on the mag release so it can't be pushed. I think I like this way the best for the fixed mag options, since you need to open the gun to loosen the screw to change from fixed to none. Tho the screw on the outside maybe nice if there's some sort of jam you can pick out the epoxy and remove the mag to help clear a jam say where the bolts back and you can't break the gun apart easily.

I thought it would be better to create a new thread instead of derailing the Tiny 10 thread. For those of you with an AR-type rifle, why did you choose the one you did? I am in the market for one and @Red Leg has me considering Daniel Defense...
Psa on the cheap end wilson on the higher end all about how much you want to spend
psa sales some cheap kits to get you into the game and figure out what you like https://palmettostatearmory.com/
I thought it would be better to create a new thread instead of derailing the Tiny 10 thread. For those of you with an AR-type rifle, why did you choose the one you did? I am in the market for one and @Red Leg has me considering Daniel Defense...

And I had assumed the thread died because of the boat accident...
I think on this forum majority of members spend the most time in the woods with bolt action or double rifle (or ruger no 1). Without a doubt majority of American forum members have ar15, but I think we are not "tactical croud", being mostly passionate about African hunting.

Most importantly, what are your plans for the rifle? What do you value most? Are you a long range precision gas gun shooter, just want a cheap back up plan for neighborhood watch worst case scenarios, 3 gun or service rifle competition aspirations, and what is your intended budget? There are so many options out there knowing what your goals are will be a huge help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ShanonBurc

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg
Living life like a lion for 1 day is better than living life like a jackal for 100 years.