Appropriate Size Target for Practice off Sticks

Just regular paper targets and a spotting scope will work just as well. Not to mention you can tell how you are doing from session to session and measure progress.

That way every round has a purpose instead of turning $$$$ to noise.

that is a good point about paper and seeing your impacts

I abandoned paper for steel simply because it is often raining here and paper gets soggy

I use oversized gongs to reduce the swinging and also to be able to examine impacts as a lot can be learned from impact pattern

As for sticks - they are commonly used here. More often than not people use quad sticks which offer a greater level of stability over twin sticks for very little increase in weight and complexity

With practice and correct stance almost bench rest stability can be enjoyed.

Strong wind is a limiting factor though as the shooter does get buffeted around a bit

As for sticks - they are commonly used here. More often than not people use quad sticks which offer a greater level of stability over twin sticks for very little increase in weight and complexity

A good compromise is 3 legged sticks. Quad sticks would not have worked on my recent hunt as there just was not the real estate on ant hills from where I took shots at impala and cape buffalo.

I used these which were very fast to set up by the PH. https://www.africansportingcreations.com/super-compact-shooting-sticks.html

I hear you regarding space to deploy

the quads I have in mind only have 2 feet on the ground

I use these as I like to support local manufacturers but as they are bespoke to the individual they wouldn't be suitable as 'camp sticks'

However there are many others that work well

Forgive me if I'm ''teaching granny to suck eggs'' here

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.07 AM.png
    3.4 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.11 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.11 AM.png
    3.6 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.30 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.30 AM.png
    257.9 KB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.33 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.33 AM.png
    1.8 MB · Views: 61
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.36 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 8.34.36 AM.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 64
Just regular paper targets and a spotting scope will work just as well. Not to mention you can tell how you are doing from session to session and measure progress.

That way every round has a purpose instead of turning $$$$ to noise.
You can document your steel practice groups with a camera.

Given your competitive shooting background, do you find steel creates weakness in a hunter by waiting for feedback from the target and deteriorated precision due to the satisfaction of the audible/visual result? Or do you see the feedback and featureless targets as a plus?

I find paper targets are great for groups, but offer unrealistic contrast at times.

I hear you regarding space to deploy

the quads I have in mind only have 2 feet on the ground

I use these as I like to support local manufacturers but as they are bespoke to the individual they wouldn't be suitable as 'camp sticks'

However there are many others that work well

Forgive me if I'm ''teaching granny to suck eggs'' here
How well do they do on uneven ground? They look very complex...

I prefer the full size bull elephant targets, but a charging Buffalo is a close second...

Okay so these small "gongs" everyone talks about...how are they hanging? I put up the four inch disc for one shot today suspended on two chains. Subsonic 300 BLK slapped the Dickens out of it at fifty yards. I'm not wanting to hike down range and un twist the chains every few shots. I think I'll save the core of a tape roll and two tone a larger target.

Convinced the junior marksmanship squad is using 22s on the 2" "gong".

Last edited:
Okay so these small "gongs" everyone talks about...how are they hanging? I put up the four inch disc for one shot today suspended on two chains. Subsonic 300 BLK slapped the Dickens out of it at fifty yards. I'm not wanting to hike down range and un twist the chains every few shots. I think I'll save the core of a tape roll and two tone a larger target.

Convinced the junior marksmanship squad is using 22s on the 2" "gong".

I have some 6 inch and one 4 inch gong mounted on these with a bolt. There is probably a better mousetrap but the t posts are easy for me to set and I had a bunch of them anyways. Working for me so far

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.45.15 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.45.15 PM.png
    1,016 KB · Views: 62
  • Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.45.17 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-09-22 at 3.45.17 PM.png
    808.9 KB · Views: 58
Jcnelsn1, like you I used a 17 HMR for my practice off sticks. Regardless of the diameter of the plate, you generally aim / shoot for the middle of it don't you? Providing you are not adverse to a little recoil changing to a larger caliber shouldn't be that big of a problem. Because of the cost involved, I doubt that I put more than 40 rounds downrange with my 404 Jeffery. Out of my 35 Whelen there was probably a hundred or so.

I practice before a hunt with an AR, I have tons of ammo and I shoot them a lot anyway, so killing to two birds. I generally shoot steel at 200 to 300 yard range, if you are comfortable at 250, 120 is going to look like a chip shot.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
choangclubcasa

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross