Apparently Bill Wilson likes 9.3x62

Bill Wilson is a great guy, not the overbearing ass like some in the industry. Not only is a true master gunsmith, he is an extremely accomplished shooter.

I have had several of his pistols and rifles over the years. All have been top notch, I'm down to one of his pistols. That's my CC it has been over a lot of this country many miles and many stories.

Interesting that he hunts bushpig a lot.
Not your typical "Safari" but great fun.

And I dont think the 9.3x62 is anything like the 30-30 when it comes to widespread use by the non gun nuts.
It was an important cartridge in Tanzania and Namibia though, more pockets of use. The .303 is the 30-30 of Africa.

As I recall the 9.3 X 62 and the 35 Whelen were developed at "pretty much" the same time. I rather doubt that one is the progeny of the other. This thread is just another opportunity for me to "hype" the attributes of Bob Nelson's favorite caliber. LOL

As I recall the 9.3 X 62 and the 35 Whelen were developed at "pretty much" the same time. I rather doubt that one is the progeny of the other. This thread is just another opportunity for me to "hype" the attributes of Bob Nelson's favorite caliber. LOL
1905 was when I believe Otto Bock and Herr Mauser got together and produced the marvel that is the 9.3x62. Was shooting mine today in fact

Jeeez. I was just kidding. Not sure if you noticed the smileys. Just teasing Bob and his favorite calibre as 9.3x62 is my favorite. No need to get all critical....also if you call about 17 years "pretty much the same time", I call it almost a generation. :D :D

It was huge in the German colonies. Tanzania, Namibia, Rwanda and Burundi. Mainly used for clearing land of native species for cattle grazing. Tens of thousands of game were slaughtered with it. Post WW1 it overtook the 8X57 in those colonies as military equip was restricted by the Versailles treaty. Doubt it came close to the use of the .303 however.

pretty cool. I always wanted one of Bill's Redhawk conversions. In an old catalog there was a pic of him and a lion and that lion had a single, dark dot in his forehead. as a kid that was a pretty impactful pic.

I've taken my 35 Whelen to Africa twice, most of the PH(s) I encountered had never heard of it. Of course they were very familiar with the 9.3 X 62. In all honesty, I think the 35 Whelen deserves the same recognition as the 9.3 X 62 unfortunately most others don't. I own a couple of Whelens, but if someone were to offer me a great deal on a 9.3 x 62 I wouldn't turn it down. IMHO a mid-bore rifle caliber doesn't have to have "magnum" in its' name to be effective.

I like non-magnum rimless cartridges the most. I like most of the cartridges based on the 06 as they all seem to work very well from what I have seen or according to their users - 25-06, 270, 8mm-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen. And I of course like the original 30-06. But I also like the European originals 6x55, 7x57, 7x64, 8x57, 8x60, 9.3z62. If only I could decide on 1 or 2 only.

I like non-magnum rimless cartridges the most. I like most of the cartridges based on the 06 as they all seem to work very well from what I have seen or according to their users - 25-06, 270, 8mm-06, 338-06, 35 Whelen. And I of course like the original 30-06. But I also like the European originals 6x55, 7x57, 7x64, 8x57, 8x60, 9.3z62. If only I could decide on 1 or 2 only.
Why would you limit yourself?!?

To be practical and to eliminate the “stress” of choice.

I like how Bill Wilson says the 9.3x62 is between a .338 Win Mag and .375 H&H Mag in power!

If loaded properly, to modern pressures, the .35 Whelen, and the 9.3x62 can almost equal a .375 H&H, because the cases are just that efficient for the medium bore rounds.

They can both leave a .338 Win Mag in the dust!

Hawk

Here’s a really good article on the 9.x62 Mauser.

There’s a part in there about loading it to modern pressures, 60k psi that I liked!

Hawk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
edwardsrailcarcom00

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg