Apex Predators hate competition: Polar bear attack leaves hunter dead

Thank you for sharing this experience with us Velo Dog. I sure enjoyed reading ahout it!
You may have been otherwise occupied, but did you by chance have time to snap any photos? If you did, I bet I am not the only one that would love to see them ;)
And I must say, you certainly seem to have lead a dull and boring life, Lol!:E Rofl:

If so, at least he’s in good company :D

Gents,

Thanks for the kind words and the marks of approval.
Much appreciated.
Yes, I took quite a few photos and will post same when I can.
Just now returning from a 3 week walkabout with my young trophy wife (she’s only 58).
Likewise, my experience with posting photos has rewarded me with limited success.
(I think it’s called being computer illiterate).
So anyway, it will be a little bit until I can post the pics.
I do however intend to post some from the Siberian trip.

Cheers,
El Doggo.

Sounds like a very interesting trip! And I don't think anyone would consider you a simpleton VD!
IMO, Velo Dog is one of a handful of members that when they speak/post, I listen /read because I always learn something regardless of the subject matter. I was honored to spend some time with him in Alaska in 2017. A great time shooting and sight seeing. Hope to do so again in the future!

@VeloDog, If you can email the photos to me, I can resize them as necessary and post them for you. If not, I can walk you through the procedure.

IMO, Velo Dog is one of a handful of members that when they speak/post, I listen /read because I always learn something regardless of the subject matter. I was honored to spend some time with him in Alaska in 2017. A great time shooting and sight seeing. Hope to do so again in the future!

Thanks David,

Likewise, you are one of my favorite posters here and indeed we did have fun at the annual Alaska double rifle shoot, etc.

Cheers,
Paul.

@VeloDog, If you can email the photos to me, I can resize them as necessary and post them for you. If not, I can walk you through the procedure.

Thanks Hogpatrol,

I will PM you in a few days, after the dust settles around here.
We just returned from a non-working vacation now and have much catching up to do for a few days, prepare house and vehicles for winter and etc.

Thanks again,
Velo Dog.

Pics and commentary from Paul, aka Velo Dog:

Beautiful downtown Nome, Alaska.
IMG_0252.jpg

Leaving Nome.
IMG_0261.jpg

The Old Dog at our first stop, Provideniya, Russia.
I am guessing the tall brick chimney is for the city coal burning electricity generator ?
Also note the two whale ribs sticking out of the ground, presumably acknowledging / honoring the first Arctic people of that area ?
IMG_0274.jpg

Yours truly on the beach, somewhere in Siberia.
IMG_0289.jpg

26,000 ton Russian ice breaker, The Professor Khromov, cruising in the Chukchi Sea.
Our little ship was only 6,000 tons in comparison and not rated as an ice breaker at all.
IMG_0296(1).jpg

Another unsuccessful attempt to get a Zodiac and small landing party to the beach on Wrangel Island. The ice was just too thick.
IMG_0321.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Paul aka Velo Dog sent some more pics of his adventure to post. Enjoy.

Returning to the beach, from a walking lecture on the Siberian coast.
People in red parkas are ship’s clients.
People in blue parkas are ship’ s employees (Biologists, Archaeologists and such, giving the lectures).
I’m trailing to watch for sneaky bears that might try to disguise themselves as clients and infiltrate the group.
Our ship is at anchor in the background.
We saw plenty of brown bear tracks in the mud here but no sign of polar bear at this stop.
IMG_0335.jpg

Stone circle is believed to have held down the skirt of a skin tent that hunters pitched here for many centuries.
Humpback whales were the primary game but seals, walrus and reindeer have been here in abundance during and since that time, to our present times.
IMG_0337.jpg

Whale vertebra used as a cutting board by hunters.
It does not look very old.
Probably was used to butcher reindeer, ducks and geese plus maybe fish as well, within the last 10 or 20 years.
Marine mammal hunting is not permitted at this location currently but, hunting and fishing for other, above mentioned species is allowed here.
IMG_0343.jpg

Three fairly long toothed bulls in this pod.
IMG_0375.jpg

Russian Orthodox Church at Anadyr, Russia.
Incidentally, Anadyr seemed to be more up to speed with today’s global trends than the other coastal towns we visited.
The people were very friendly and the food was quite good.
Also, we had to wait for a break in the beluga’s activity between our ship and the town before we could motor our Zodiacs over to the beach.
Seeing them made me a little home sick (belugas often roll about within the city limits of Anchorage as well)
I liked Anadyr very much.
IMG_0405.jpg

IMG_0335.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: cmk
very cool!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadwickTo

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross