Aperture sight difficuties

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by Von Gruff, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    Am away for a hunt tomorrow so can not do anything about it now even if I could figure out the fix for my 6.5x57 SR Erfurts aperture sight problem. Up untill now I have been using the 2-7 scope on the Tally bases but I would like to be able to use both sighting systems depending on intended hunting destination/terrain etc.
    I checked the zero with the scope and it was bang on after installing the scope on a cold clean barrel but when I put the aperture signt on and moved in closer for the first shot at a lasered 36 yds, the shots were 4 in high.
    With a sight radius of 27 1/2 inches that is 27.5x4 divided by 1296 for .0849 of sight adjustment to have the shots print on at 100yds.
    I already have a front sight that is .320 high off the ramp so dont want to have to go to an ungainly and probably bendy .41 front sight and there dosent seem to be any way to make a lower aperture slide for the talley
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

2. ChrisG

ChrisG AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NAHC, NRA, Rocky Mtn. Elk Foundation.
    Hunted:
    USA, Canada
    Hi VonGruff,

Have you considered the original British style of aperture sight that was dovetailed into the hammer? It seems like that wouldn't be too hard a modification. The sights themselves might be expensive... I don't know. I have only ever seen them on old Rigbys and a Doleac & Dorleac reproduction that was made a while back. i would think with a little bit od measuring and marking with a caliper, you could even cut the dovetail yourself with a dovetail file. Here's a pic of the sight I am talking about:

[​IMG]
    It even folds down and out of the way like some of the old lyman tang sights did when you want to mount a scope or just keep it from being damaged.

Attached Files:

3. Von Gruff

Von Gruff AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    @ChrisG I had a rigby styled cocking piece sight on the DWM 7x57 I built so I do know how effectife they can be but it was a cost consideration on this build that caused me to make the decission to use the Talley aperture on the Talley base. The one solution that I have come up with is to have a taller front sight made but keep it in the pouch with the aperture sight with a low front sight installed just for a complete front sight visual and when I want to change from the scope to the open sights it is no drama to change the front sight at the same time as the aperture sight is installed
    7x57 Stalking Rifle. 02-02-09 022.JPG 7x57 Stalking Rifle. 02-02-09 012.JPG

Mlibizi 8182 and TXHUNTER338 like this.