Mark Biggerstaff

Gold supporter
AH legend
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Has anyone here used the Americase 3 gun safari model? I am thinking of buying one for next trip as I want to take 3 rifles. I know it would be over the 50lb limit but still under 70 lbs. and would have to pay additional baggage. Flying Delta from Atlanta to Johannesburg. Planning on hunting Buff, plains game and some small critters. I was thinking of taking 416 rem. 375 HH and 7x57.
Has anyone carried 3 rifles on a safari?
Any recommendations would be appreciated

Last edited:
4FD565DA-47AA-447D-9BD0-4341EDB2044E.jpeg
CA0521EB-C635-4DA4-93DE-FCA34CC5910B.jpeg

Mark I have the two gun case with custom inserts for the double. Have contact info at Americase if you need it. The folks there are good to work with and they can do a lot to customize the case. The three gun case is just two inches wider than the two gun case. If I remember right my case is 24 pounds.

My only experience with an Americase was a buddy took one to RSA with two rifles and with what he paid in overweight/oversize charges, he could have bought a Pelican or SKS. As far as three rifles, how much ammo do you plan on taking? The eleven pound limit could be factor.

Edit: Delta allows four firearms.

https://www.delta.com/content/www/e.../before-your-trip/special-items.html#shooting

I thought about ammo and have weighed it out already
I can take 25 rounds each of 7x57 and 375
20 rounds 416.
That is 70 rounds total

I have a buddy going now and he is only taking one rifle so I may put one in his case and ammo in his bag too. Checking with Henry at Riflepermits on that now if it allowed.

But I am still looking at the Americase in either 2 or 3 gun. I used Pelican last trip and it served well.

@CAustin, Have you used that case yet? It looks pristine. My buddy's got beat up and dented pretty bad on his one trip to RSA. If you have used it, what were the oversize/overweight charges?

I have two of the two gun cases, one is mine and one is for my wife. we used them for our last trip over and they got a few bumps and scratches with no damage and the rifles were still zeroed. We did not have any over weight fees either.

I have two of the two gun cases, one is mine and one is for my wife. we used them for our last trip over and they got a few bumps and scratches with no damage and the rifles were still zeroed. We did not have any over weight fees either.

Thanks. Thats good to know. Who did you fly with? How much room is there in top compartment for like binos and other things?

Thanks. Thats good to know. Who did you fly with? How much room is there in top compartment for like binos and other things?

We flew Delta. In my case I carried two rifles, and spare set of clothes rolled up on top of the guns, in my wife's she carried one rifle a set of trigger sticks and a set of spare clothes rolled up on top. We both carried our binos in our carry on luggage.

@CAustin, Have you used that case yet? It looks pristine. My buddy's got beat up and dented pretty bad on his one trip to RSA. If you have used it, what were the oversize/overweight charges?

Flew Delta and if I recall the case, Merkel 470 SxS and a Ruger #1 with some slings, cleaning kit, gun socks and small stuff weighed in at like 46 pounds. So there was no extra charge. It got some scratches but no real bumps. The Ruger was still dialed in to right where I left it at the range. Nothing had moved either.

spare set of clothes rolled up on top of the guns,
Southern_fowler, I had a cap in my gun case on my last trip and the Delta lady made me take it out of the case stating “no clothing is allowed in a gun case”.
Delta agents seem to do what ever they can to hassle hunters it seems like. Just my experience May 2018.

Southern_fowler, I had a cap in my gun case on my last trip and the Delta lady made me take it out of the case stating “no clothing is allowed in a gun case”.
Delta agents seem to do what ever they can to hassle hunters it seems like. Just my experience May 2018.

In June I had one rifle, cleaning stuff, knife extra scope, binos and flashlights in pelican case. Laid a towel in there covering small stuff. They made me take towel out! This was Delta counter in Houston

Be thankful you aren't flying Lufthansa. They got me, and every biathelete with a bicycle (quite a few, trust me) for $200 or more for a second piece of luggage from Cape Town to Frankfurt. No telling the charge beyond that. And that's within weight limits. Break 50 pounds/ 20 Kg., Brace yourself.

Has anyone here used the Americase 3 gun safari model? I am thinking of buying one for next trip as I want to take 3 rifles. I know it would be over the 50lb limit but still under 70 lbs. and would have to pay additional baggage. Flying Delta from Atlanta to Johannesburg. Planning on hunting Buff, plains game and some small critters. I was thinking of taking 416 rem. 375 HH and 7x57.
Has anyone carried 3 rifles on a safari?
Any recommendations would be appreciated
I bought one because I’ve always wanted one. I have dreams of a full bag Tanzania safari some day and it would come in handy there. It can also be good for taking my guns to the range. I would advise carefully checking the charges for overweight and certainly can’t go over 70 lbs. Of course using one of the mid eastern carriers and going business class is what I was thinking of doing. That way you get the 70 pounds no problem.
Anyway it’s a very nice case.
Regards,
Philip

View attachment 260376 View attachment 260377
Mark I have the two gun case with custom inserts for the double. Have contact info at Americase if you need it. The folks there are good to work with and they can do a lot to customize the case. The three gun case is just two inches wider than the two gun case. If I remember right my case is 24 pounds.
Charlie,
Good taste in guns, gun cases, and furniture. I have much the same!
Philip

Pelican is my go to gun case.

As usual some gate agents just make stuff up. I had one (Delta) recently read their entire bulletin and there was nothing in there about clothes in the gun case. This is what makes travel aggravating. Stupid gate agents!
Philip

In June I had one rifle, cleaning stuff, knife extra scope, binos and flashlights in pelican case. Laid a towel in there covering small stuff. They made me take towel out! This was Delta counter in Houston
I wonder if @Travel Express could chime in on this issue? What exactly can go in a gun case on Delta? Has something changed? Like I said I had one agent read their entire bulletin on guns and nothing about clothes or misc stuff packed in there with the gun. Many of us have always packed extra things in here to keep our two bags under 50lbs.
Regards,
Philip

I have a buddy going now and he is only taking one rifle so I may put one in his case and ammo in his bag too. Checking with Henry at Riflepermits on that now if it allowed.

That will be a HUGE can of worms if it's not done properly.

As usual some gate agents just make stuff up. I had one (Delta) recently read their entire bulletin and there was nothing in there about clothes in the gun case. This is what makes travel aggravating. Stupid gate agents!
Philip
I had one that insisted she needed my South Africa firearm import permit. Told her I won't get that until I arrive in Johannesburg. No amount of explaining helped as she was just reading off another dumb unit, a computer. Finally got a supervisor to get the issue resolved. Clothing in gun case? I put my rifle bolts in old socks, never in the rifle, then I pack it with as much as I can, backpack, cleaning rods & patches, bipod, spare bolt parts, ammo belt, etc., to make it 49.5 pounds.:D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ThomasS111

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!