Anyone use a 6.5X55 ?

Discussion in 'Firearms & Ammunition' started by Erik7181, Mar 6, 2019.

1. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    Erik7181,

Yes, I like the 6.5x55 and mine is the same make/model as yours.
    I’ve not taken any critters with it yet but, it is quite accurate.
    You might enjoy hunting caribou with your 6.5, after you get moved up to Alaska.
    They look larger than they really are and they’re definitely not as “impact resistant” as mule deer for one example.

Cheers,
    Velo Dog.

2. Pheroze

Pheroze AH ENABLER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    OFAH, DSC
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Canada, USA
    I carried around a Husqvarna 6.5x55 last fall. I loaded 160gr Woodleigh RN for use on deer and Moose that trip. The weight of the rifle is great, and it recoils so lightly I started to second guess my 30 cal preference.

6.5x55 next to my buddy's 308 W, both in front of a fantastic apple pie made in a small town near my camp.

20181021_190331.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2019
    Velo Dog and sgt_zim like this.

3. Velo Dog

Velo Dog AH ENABLER GOLD SUPPORTER SILVER SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Member.
    Hunted:
    South Africa 3 times, Namibia 2 times, USA - most western states including Alaska and Hawaii.
    I’m +1 with you Pheroze on the 160 grain round nose in the Swede.
    Also, I’ve never figured out why all of the major rifle makers wasted their energy making “youth model” rifles in .243 caliber, presumably for children learning to hunt deer.
    The Swede is miles ahead of the .243 in breaking bones and penetrating game animals at less than perfect angles, yet it has not much different recoil for young shooters than the strangely popular .243 cartridge.

I don’t get it ........ whatever,
    Paul.

Albert GRANT, ChrisG, 7x57Joe and 2 others like this.

4. Tra3

Tra3 AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    SCI
    Hunted:
    Namibia
    @Velo Dog I agree with you on the .243 question. I bought a Ruger American .243 youth model for my son (Admittedly an impulse purchase because of the marketing). We had already been using the 6.5, so when I added the .243 it mainly got used at the range. The recoil is similar between the two guns, but the 6.5 is much more versatile. The .243 is a heavier rifle than the 6.5 by 4 Oz even though the barrel and stock are shorter. My son would rather shoot the 6.5.
    With that said, I did show some respect to the .243 by taking it out on an evening whitetail hunt last fall. As luck would have it, I shot a nice buck with it (and it worked just fine).

Velo Dog likes this.

5. yumastepside

yumastepside AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    ssaa
    I have three 6.5 Swede's, a full wood 19" carbine, a standard '96 and a 6.5x55 AI. All are '96 actions, the AI makes a 270 look like a 30-30, mostly use 129 Hornady Interlocks with the occasional 160 Woodleigh.........never had to shoot anything twice....from 'roos to Fallow to some big pigs.

[​IMG]

...always wanted to hunt caribou and this would be my first choice.

Roger

Attached Files:

Shootist43 and Velo Dog like this.

6. Ray B

Ray B AH Elite

Video/Photo:
    The 6.5x55 cartridge is one of those that perform very well. I had an uncle who had a M94 unaltered military. It was very good. The only downside that I see to it is that the case head is slightly larger than "standard" meaning that if the ammo companies decide to reduce the variations in their output they tend to drop non-standard cartridges such as the 6.5x54 and 6.5x55 and that making the cases from some other cartridges are limited. For example, a 6.5x57 could be made from virtually any standard case of sufficient length, whereas there aren't other cases than can be adjusted to fit. Other than that, the 6.5x55 is a great cartridge.

Velo Dog, 7x57Joe and Von Gruff like this.

7. 7x65r

7x65r AH Member

I started on the 6.5 sweed bandwagon with an old m96/38 mauser and was hooked. I ended up selling it though to upgrade to a sako 85 hunter in the same caliber which I handload 156 grain lapua megas for and 140 nosler partitions. Have always been very happy with that combo, the sako action is smooth as silk and the 6.5x55 always drops my deer reliably, my only small complaint is that the rifle could go on a bit if a diet, although recoil is pretty much non existent

Velo Dog likes this.

8. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    6.5x55 and 6.5x54ms are outdated....so let’s all buy .260 remington and 6.5 Creedmoor

7x57 is outdated...so let’s all buy 7-08

7x64 is outdated...so let’s all buy 7mm rem mags

318 Westley Richards is outdated...so let’s all buy 338-06

I’m noticing a trend here. One that results in buying plastic junk that will be at the pawn shop in 10 years. The 6.5 and all the others are proven classics. Huge fan of the Swede. Nothing is new under the sun, just retreads of old tires.

9. cmk

cmk AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Sweden, Mauritius
    Oooh.. I see an export business opportunity. :)
    The 6.5x55 cases are the probably most commonly found in the shooting range brass buckets here. The main reason is that it's the minimum allowed for hunting big game, and many hunting associations require that you pass the proficiency test each year. And being an ex-military calibre there are tons of guns around, and competition disciplines explicitly for this cartridge.

sgt_zim and Shootist43 like this.

10. Red Devil

Red Devil AH Member

Video/Photo:
    Just picked up one of those.

Added a NECG Ruger rear aperture sight and am working up a 140 gr. Speer Grand Slam load for deer and hogs.

[​IMG]

Red

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: May 3, 2019
    Velo Dog, ufg8r93, 7x57Joe and 2 others like this.

11. Albert GRANT

Albert GRANT AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    RSA
    You must be thrilled with the 7.6 and 8.6 Creedmoor then! Lol. I agree though, just rebranding and marketing to get a bigger share of the money flow. It's all gun makers have been, for the most part, for decades now. I will say the one good thing out of it is cheap rifles that will out shoot a lot of the old classic rifles. It allows people like me who either aren't in the position to spend a lot on rifles, or aren't interested in spending as much or more on a rifle as a hunt, to get a reliable accurate tool to get the job done. Yeah its plastic stocks and less appealing, but when I'm in a better position in life I can then buy pretty rifles!

jeanes likes this.

12. Von Gruff

Von Gruff GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia
    And hunting with any firearm whether it be a classic or a new mass produced cheaper model is still the most expensive way to get fee meat. ;););)

7x57Joe, cmk, Tra3 and 3 others like this.

13. Dewald

Dewald AH Veteran

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    KZN Hunters/ SAHGCA/
    Hunted:
    South Africa, Namibia
    I’ve owned a Tikka M695 6,5x55 for 20 years now. It has 3400 odd shots through the barrel so I tend to not use it as much. It had been my “Go-to-rifle” most of my life. The little rifle accounted for 100s of animals over the years, from Commom Duiker to Eland, Zebra and Wildebeest.

For the past 5 years I’ve enjoyed hunting with a 1951 vintage Brno Mod 21 with a early 80’s 3-9x36 Swarovski Habicht on. The rifle is quite fond of 160gr Woodleigh protected points.

Me latest pipeline project is a little 6,5x54 Mannlicher Carbine. The 6,5s are great cartridges ito how much terminal performance you get for virtually no recoil

The Tikka with a wildebeest bull shot by a client.
    View attachment 281583

My 6,5x57
    View attachment 281584

Last edited: May 4, 2019

14. Von Gruff

Von Gruff GOLD SUPPORTER AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    New Zealand, Austaralia

15. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    Bang on mate,

A fool is easily parted with his money, particularly with something that's apparently new or better.

Love my 275 rigby/7x57.

16. rookhawk

rookhawk AH Legend

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    NRA Life Benefactor, Trout Unlimited, Safari Club International
    I realize beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but I find that good guns don’t have to cost more than “disposable” guns. You just have to search.

Example: I found a 7x57 mannlicher Schoenauer 1903 with exhibition wood built in Berlin by a known maker, with claw mounts and a modern 4x German scope for $850. $400 in wood refinishing and $300 in rebluing the small bits, it’s a $1550 gun that probably would sell for $3000-$3800 at retail. It is vastly superior to anything else at the “throw away” gun price point of $850.

Another: custom mausers that would cost $4000-$8000 to build today can be had for $1000-$3500 lightly used. You’re not going to get anything better new for that money.

Velo Dog likes this.

17. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

take it for what it is.
    more than a 243 and less than a 270.
    and does not shoot as flat as either.
    bruce.

18. WAB

WAB AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Member of:
    DSC, NRA, SCI
    Hunted:
    Zambia, Botswana, Mozambique, South Africa, Zimbabwe, Scotland, England, Canada, Alaska, Ireland
    No knock on the .270, but the 7x57 Actually handles heavy bullets much better. Going lighter, a 145 gr bullet can be put on a trajectory that easily handles 400 yd shots. Not quite as flat as a 130 gr .270 load but no antelope will ever know the difference. Use factory loads and the .270 wins every time. The 7x57 is a handloading proposition.

19. JPbowhunter

JPbowhunter AH Fanatic

Video/Photo:
    Hunted:
    Australia, New Zealand
    Norma and hornady have reasonable factory options but i agree it's a handloaders rifle these days due to the variance in action strengths in old rifles.

Velo Dog likes this.

20. bruce moulds

bruce moulds AH Fanatic

wab,
    and the 280 rem is better again.
    bruce.