Anyone shoot/reload the NORMA 7MM (.284) 170gr SP BULLET ORYX BONDED bullets?

• Thread starter Deleted member 74105
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 74105

Saw that these are actually in stock at Graf & Sons, but have no experience with them or any reloading data. I shoot 175s out of my 7x57, so these do not seem like a far stretch.

No, but I have shot Norma Oryx bullets in 22/250, 243,6.5x55, and 150gr in 7 x57. I have had no failure issues with them. In fact of those bullets that were retained the performance was a good mushroom and weight retention.
I don’t think you will go wrong with them.

I prefer Barnes bullets above all, but I will not hesitate to use Norma Oryx bullets. I use Norma bullets in 9.3x74R (285gr), 9.3x62 (285gr), 7x57 (156 and 170gr) and 7x57R (156 and 170gr). They always shoot great and the few I have recovered had excellent expansion and weight retention.

Safe shooting

I prefer Barnes bullets above all, but I will not hesitate to use Norma Oryx bullets. I use Norma bullets in 9.3x74R (285gr), 9.3x62 (285gr), 7x57 (156 and 170gr) and 7x57R (156 and 170gr). They always shoot great and the few I have recovered had excellent expansion and weight retention.

Safe shooting
Just curious, how do you load the 170s for the 7x57? No 170 data in any of my reloading manuals.

Last edited by a moderator:
LT Backstrap, what kind of powder(s) do you have available? QuickLoad has the 170 Gr. Oryx in its' data base, I'd be happy to run a QL simulation or two for you.

M
LT Backstrap, what kind of powder(s) do you have available? QuickLoad has the 170 Gr. Oryx in its' data base, I'd be happy to run a QL simulation or two for you.
Many thanks Shootist, I have Ramshot Hunter, A-4064, RL-19, RL-15, Varget, IMR 4320, IMR 4350. Have used the Hunter this season for some 175 Woodleigh Weldcores, shoots great and slams hogs. Also took a nice 8 pt with it before Christmas.

The Ramshot Hunter looks pretty good. Click on the file and it will enlarge.

Capture.PNG 7 x 57 Ranshot Hunter.PNG

I had bad luck with the Oryx bullet on my Kyrgyzstan Ibex hunt. The first shot was through his huge neck and it did not expand. I saw him through the scope shaking his head a bit like a sheep choking on feed but he was not hurt from that good shot. The neck on those goats is massive and should have easily opened the bullet up. A miss then a good hit on the third shot put him down. I was shooting a .300 RUM at the time.
I am mostly using Barnes now.

I had bad luck with the Oryx bullet on my Kyrgyzstan Ibex hunt. The first shot was through his huge neck and it did not expand. I saw him through the scope shaking his head a bit like a sheep choking on feed but he was not hurt from that good shot. The neck on those goats is massive and should have easily opened the bullet up. A miss then a good hit on the third shot put him down. I was shooting a .300 RUM at the time.
I am mostly using Barnes now.
Thanks for the share Philip. Sounds you had like a wild hunt.

I use them in mt 7x57 at 2550 fps, 45.7g w760, f215 primers, they are a bit to tough for smaller game like fellow deer sized. But would be good for larger animals, red stag

There’s some Norma Oryx bullets recovered from Sika and Fallow deer. I think the photo talks for itself. Excellent expansion.

IMG_0009.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DenaI60135

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Looking to hire Odoo developers in UAE, USA In o2b technologies has skilled and experienced Odoo developers at competitive pricing Consult Now!

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!