Anyone owned, used, or seen used, a .700 Nitro?

Certus

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
If I was to win the lottery I’d have a double in .700 built. But it won’t happen so I’ll remain a dreamer and live through others :)

Anyone here used, owned, seen used etc a .700 nitro? Especially on game? I’ve heard the story of the elephant escaping etc so no need to repeat it. Verney Carron has a good video on using one on buff. Doesn’t seem to hit harder than any other caliber, given it’s size. But still, the cartridge intrigues me *fondles a dummy round and drifts to daydreams*

i havent had the pleasure of shooting a 700 but ive handled a few. if you have a genuine interest in the 700 then make sure your in very good shape! the few samples ive held were too heavy for me to shoulder and aim for any useful length of time.

however i can certainly understand the desire! i have had the pleasure of shooting a 577 and a 600. the recoil of both of these caliber is stout but not unmanageable however there is quite a long delay for the second shot due to rather extreme muzzle rise. the 600 suffered from the same problem as the 700 with just being too dang heavy but the 577 was something i could seriously see myself owning in the future.

another group of cartridges you should look into are the old black powder dangerous game cartridges. im referring to the 8 bore and 4 bore, which dominated elephant hunting before smokeless powder took over and even managed to stick around a little while after NE cartridges were available. perhaps the only gun i want more then a 577 NE double would be an 8 bore paradox double!

-matt

Thanks for the response, Matt :)

I’m well versed in the African cartridges. My personal favourite “original” is the 425 WR :)

The thing I don’t like about the 8 and 4 bores, especially in doubles, is they often have a chunky, clublike look. 4 bores as a single barrel look great though. Double 8’s aren’t as bad as double 4’s cosmetically.. lucky for you that 8 bore paradox’s are “relatively” common. Seen this one?

https://www.gunsinternational.com/g...radox-rare-only-69-built.cfm?gun_id=101023101

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 8.27.51 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-24 at 8.27.51 AM.png
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
oh yes, ive certainly drooled over that one a couple of times... just not sure which orifice i could pull $30,000 from to pay for it. if i win the lottery id either buy that one or the one Cal's got.

i think @buckstix has a 700, perhaps he will chime in if he sees this thread.

-matt

I saw a guy on Youtube shoot a .700.
He didn't seem to enjoy the experience very much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
indiagpt

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois