Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
NRA Life Member
Hunted
South Africa
Got out to the range yesterday. I had good conditions...not to cold and wind was dead calm. I finally sighted in my 375 H&H, which I was itching to shoot for about 6 months now. I also shot my custom 257 Weatherby which always produces fantastic groups. I've attached one 3-shot group from yesterday, which I haven't measured but I suspect is a little over .25". I'm using 70grs. of IMR7828 and Berger 115s. It averages just over 3400 on the chronograph. It's like shooting a lazer beam....very flat.

Group 257 Wea..jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It 's not the first time, I've have heard about that caliber being super accurate. Congrats!

just got my son a remington model 700 in 257weatherby.Hoping to use it next trip to africa on plains game.Hope it shoots that good when we get out to the range soon.I will keep this load of yours in mind for sure to try out.

Great caliber, I love mine and so far Impala, Nyala, Warthog, Bushbuck, Springbok (of varying colors), Mountain Reedbuck, Blesbok, Waterbuck and Steinbok unanimously hate it. ;)

Did you reload your own bullet combo or use factory ammo on all those animals taken.

Did you reload your own bullet combo or use factory ammo on all those animals taken.

100gr Barnes TSX handloads at 3650fps

I also shot my custom 257 Weatherby which always produces fantastic groups.

How much free bore does your custom gun have? I have gun being built with a Lilja bbl chambered in .257 WBY. As per several recommendations (including my gunsmith) for best accuracy it is being built with minimal free bore. As such I will not be able to shoot factory ammo, which is a pain, but I think one hole groups are worth it.

How much free bore does your custom gun have? I have gun being built with a Lilja bbl chambered in .257 WBY. As per several recommendations (including my gunsmith) for best accuracy it is being built with minimal free bore. As such I will not be able to shoot factory ammo, which is a pain, but I think one hole groups are worth it.
You know I'm not sure what length freebore my gunsmith cut in chambering my barrel. Mine is built with a Krieger barrel. My gunsmith told me not to worry, he would handle the freebore. He made that freebored area so tight there is only .0005" of fee space surrounding the bullet. This is essentially like not having freebore. However, I think both you and I, with the velocites we're getting can shoot factory ammo. With these velocities we are both using loads comparable to factory loads if not more. I would not hesitate to shoot factory ammo through my gun.

Did you have any of those animals go any distance after shooting.Were most recovered within a 100yds of were shot.

Warthog was a bad shot and he went 150yds and required a second shot. Blesbok, to my shame, required 6 rounds. All but one poorly placed at 300+ yds in gusty 40mph winds. Impala 10yds, Nyala x2 DRT, Bushbuck 1 - 30yds, Bushbuck 2 DRT, Springbok x 3 DRT, Mountain Reedbuck 40yds, Waterbuck DRT and Steinbok DRT.

My only issue with it is that it puts bigger exit holes than my .338 Lapua! Still they are not terribly large by any means and the intense internal damage is not mirrored in hide damage.

I love it:cool2: it's like shooting missles not bullets with this type of velocity

I love that it mirrors the 30-378 trajectory as the flattest mainstream cartridge.

You know I'm not sure what length freebore my gunsmith cut in chambering my barrel. Mine is built with a Krieger barrel. My gunsmith told me not to worry, he would handle the freebore. He made that freebored area so tight there is only .0005" of fee space surrounding the bullet. This is essentially like not having freebore. However, I think both you and I, with the velocites we're getting can shoot factory ammo. With these velocities we are both using loads comparable to factory loads if not more. I would not hesitate to shoot factory ammo through my gun.

That load is from my factory bbl. When I get my new gun in the spring I have been told no factory ammo and will have to start to work up some starting with a reduced powder charge and will have to play with powders to find something that has a lower initial pressure and go from there. Velocity should not change much (probably -50fps or so) but the powder charge will definitely be smaller to achieve that velocity.

100gr Barnes TSX handloads at 3650fps
@Diamondhitch
How do the TTSX work at that speed, it's the same speed I get out of my custom 25 but haven't tried the TTSX on game. The 117grain SST at 3,470fps is devastating on fallow deer and pigs and goats.
Bob

Ive shot lots of deer and antelope with a 257 custom! The Berger 115 is just explosive on them with mush for chest cavities and big exits! The Barnes are the laser with pencil right thru and little destruction, had an antelope run more than a mile with a double lung at 400y! A hunting partner took a 6x6 bull elk with the 120 A-frame and it would be my choice for PG in Africa!

@Diamondhitch
How do the TTSX work at that speed, it's the same speed I get out of my custom 25 but haven't tried the TTSX on game. The 117grain SST at 3,470fps is devastating on fallow deer and pigs and goats.
Bob
@Bob Nelson 35Whelen I have used both the Barnes 100gr TTSX and the Hornady 117gr SST in my .257 Weatherby on the same Aussie game as you. The Hornady 117gr SST is a more emphatic killer than the Barnes on this type of game. The SST creates a lot more internal damage but does not always exit. The Barnes is good but third on my list of choice after the SST and 117gr Sierra SP. The Barnes in my experience always completely penetrates through and through even on medium size deer like Red deer with angling shots. I have never recovered a TTSX bullet from my .257 Wby. I still use the Hornady 117gr SST today as my go too bullet in the .257 Wby.

@Bob Nelson 35Whelen I have used both the Barnes 100gr TTSX and the Hornady 117gr SST in my .257 Weatherby on the same Aussie game as you. The Hornady 117gr SST is a more emphatic killer than the Barnes on this type of game. The SST creates a lot more internal damage but does not always exit. The Barnes is good but third on my list of choice after the SST and 117gr Sierra SP. The Barnes in my experience always completely penetrates through and through even on medium size deer like Red deer with angling shots. I have never recovered a TTSX bullet from my .257 Wby. I still use the Hornady 117gr SST today as my go too bullet in the .257 Wby.
@GeoffB
In the process of trying 115grain nosler combined technology silver tip at 3,370fps in my 25. Beautiful accuracy 0.8 inches at 200 yards and a bit less than 0.4 at 100. Hopefully as good as they say. The SSTs are devastating on goats but completely ruins the front half of a fallow even with a hit behind the shoulder. Neck shots with the SSTs bruise the meat down to the shoulder. Might have to try the Whelen for less damage.
Bob

Roy Weatherby’s favorite so I’ve read. Ive always lusted for a 257 Bee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KeithustKew

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg