Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.36.14 AM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 348
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.36.17 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.36.17 AM.png
    969 KB · Views: 309
  • Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.36.29 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-03-09 at 9.36.29 AM.png
    477 KB · Views: 293
Great rifle and a great deal anywhere near that price. I sure love mine:)

@flat8 just buy it! You know you want it. Your young and have lots of time to make good use of it. In fact you "need" this rifle.

Time to implement the Nike rule;)

With 525 grain TSX and banded solids that thing will reach out past 200 yards and pack a wollop doing it:cool:

thats a fantastic deal if you can get it for that price!

-matt

@flat8 just buy it! You know you want it. Your young and have lots of time to make good use of it. In fact you "need" this rifle.

Time to implement the Nike rule;)

Not for me this time! I’m just posting the listing as a public service.

Having bragged up this gun; I should post this disclaimer that many CZ rifles, and especially in 505 Gibbs, may require some work to feed and simply hold the cartridges in the magazine. I think the later produced ones are likely better than the earlier as Triple River figured things out by a bit of trial and error.

But still great guns at a best price. Most have very nice wood;)

Nice find for someone in the market for a gunpowder incinerator!! :LOL::D

I used to be very comfortable with my powder stash...until I started playing with the NE stuff.

The 505 Rimless Magnum takes powder eating to a whole new level!

I might have to get one some day!

Having bragged up this gun; I should post this disclaimer that many CZ rifles, and especially in 505 Gibbs, may require some work to feed and simply hold the cartridges in the magazine. I think the later produced ones are likely better than the earlier as Triple River figured things out by a bit of trial and error.

But still great guns at a best price. Most have very nice wood;)

Agree. A trip to Wayne at AHR for his CZ Upgrade #1 and you still have a great bargain. He will make sure it feeds and functions as well. Had the number #1 upgrade done on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery couldn't be happier.

http://americanhuntingrifles.com/upgrade-your-cz/

full

I should post this disclaimer that many CZ rifles, and especially in 505 Gibbs, may require some work to feed and simply hold the cartridges in the magazine.
Oh so true...
I think the later produced ones are likely better than the earlier as Triple River figured things out by a bit of trial and error.
A very logical thought, that may (or may not) apply to this rifle...
A trip to Wayne at AHR for his CZ Upgrade #1 and you still have a great bargain. He will make sure it feeds and functions as well. Had the number #1 upgrade done on my CZ 550 in 500 Jeffery couldn't be happier.
Amen! Anyone who can make that dang rebated rim feeding curse of a Jeff cartridge :) (ballistics aside) work in a double stack magazine will have a Gibbs feeding like soft butter.

The trick by the way, is where, and how much, to enlarge the gap between the feeding ramps on both sides to allow the cartridge head to pop up and slide at the right place/time under the claw extractor.

The risk is that if the ramps have been cut in the wrong place or too much to begin with, this becomes very complicated as the ramps need to be re-charged with MIG or TIG welding and re-profiled.

As to the fact that the CZ 550 magazine box width designed for the .375 H&H cartridge heads (.532") and still working OK with the .416 Rigby (.590") is a bit too narrow for the Gibbs (.640"), there is not much to be done about that. This explains why the cartridges do not always hold under the feeding ramps as well as they should. The geometry is just not optimal. Very careful profiling of the underside of the ramps help, but again, whatever metal is removed in the wrong spot cannot be put back easily.

Recommendations to a buyer:

1) Ask for a 3 day inspection/return (it is currently "unspecified" in the gunbroker.com posting); get 10 rounds of 505; and work the heck out of that action (muzzle pointed in a safe direction). You will know within 5 minutes if you have a gem (keep it!) or a lemon (consider returning the rifle, or trust that Wayne at AHR can fix it, assuming the ramps have not been butchered).

2) In any case, if you keep it, have AHR install their bolt-mounted firing pin-blocking safety. Changing the trigger and straightening & filling the bolt handle is nice, but not as necessary as a real safety.

Last edited:
Thanks I really like Wayne's single stage trigger too. Just an aside, the last mod to make my 500 Jeffery feed properly was machining the magazine follower to be wider to handle the fat 500 Jeffery cartridge. Something that wouldn't come to mind at first.

Thanks I really like Wayne's single stage trigger too. Just an aside, the last mod to make my 500 Jeffery feed properly was machining the magazine follower to be wider to handle the fat 500 Jeffery cartridge. Something that wouldn't come to mind at first.
Yes indeed!
All part of the geometry of presenting the cartridges under the feeding ramps at the proper angle... Tricky business... It is no accident that Paul Mauser designed different magazine box widths, feeding ramps, and followers for different cartridges.
Almost a lost art by today's volume production standards...

Last edited:
A word of caution in buying 10 rounds to play with.... Do not buy rounds loaded in shiny nickel plated cases! They will slip out of the feed ramps. Stick with regular brass. If you do end up with nickle cases, rough them up with sandpaper.

Amazing how many big bores are sold with less than one box fired. For folks who've never fired anything more powerful than a 30-06 it can be a rude awakening.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,