Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
USA/Canada
Australia/NZ
Member of
NRA, DSC
Hunted
Nam, Zam, Zim,RSA (Eastern Cape & NW), Canada, NZ, Alaska, TX, LA, MO, OH, MT, ID, WA, WY
Eurooptics is having a sale on the Mauser M18? Are these sort of an equivalent to the Ruger American?

https://www.eurooptic.com/Mauser-M18-Rifles.aspx

upload_2020-3-12_17-4-27.png

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.15.58 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.15.58 AM.png
    2.3 MB · Views: 102
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.15.59 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.15.59 AM.png
    921.3 KB · Views: 139
  • Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.16.01 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2020-03-13 at 11.16.01 AM.png
    2 MB · Views: 128
For the price, I was wondering that myself, not that it matters for me- no lefties, but I saw the sale and was curious

I've seen some reviews on youtube, and it seems to be very accurate. It is very similar to the sauer 100xt that I have. I picked the sauer because I didnt want the molded trigger guard. For the price those are on sale I'd be hard pressed not to try one myself.

I handled one last year and was disappointed. You get what you pay for, it is cheap and it feels cheap.
I would spend the extra and get an M12 which is a great rifle. Feels good, shoots well.
M12 over the M18 all day long for me unless you want a cheap rifle to throw in the truck, use as a fence strainer, post banger etc.

Adrian -

Would you be so kind as to educate me regarding your term "fence strainer"?

Haven't heard that one.

Thanks!

Adrian -

Would you be so kind as to educate me regarding your term "fence strainer"?

Haven't heard that one.

Thanks!

Hahaha! Yes of course, when you want to pull fence wire tight and put a stick, or in this case the barrel of an M18, between two strands of wire and twist it to tighten it up.

I am being harsh, the M18 can do a job for a budget price but it is what it is and spending the extra on the M12 is, in my opinion, a wiser move.

spanish-windlass-style-fence-wire-tightener-using-weathered-wooden-stick-65693311.jpg

OK - got it - "strainer" here is also known as a colander - bowl with holes to allow water to pass through while your vegetables stay in

I don't know if we have a name for this - I would just have to say "the stick you use to twist/tighten fence posts"

I have some take off VZ-24 Mauser barrels that would work for this! LOL!!!!!

I handled one last year and was disappointed. You get what you pay for, it is cheap and it feels cheap.
I would spend the extra and get an M12 which is a great rifle. Feels good, shoots well.
M12 over the M18 all day long for me unless you want a cheap rifle to throw in the truck, use as a fence strainer, post banger etc.

I will second that. M12 is worth the extra outlay, excellent rifle.

OK - got it - "strainer" here is also known as a colander - bowl with holes to allow water to pass through while your vegetables stay in

I don't know if we have a name for this - I would just have to say "the stick you use to twist/tighten fence posts"

I have some take off VZ-24 Mauser barrels that would work for this! LOL!!!!!

Tensioner??????????

The M18 gets some praise in the budget gun market but it does feel cheap. All of the guns in this class are interchangeable to me. Defining one as any better or worse than the others is splitting hairs.

The M12 does look nice. The extractor/ejector arrangement looks strange to me. Have not held one but the pictures make it look mechanically difficult for the ejector to push the casing away from the extractor (appears to be right next to the extractor). It also looks to be ejecting at such an angle as to launch the casing into the scope turret.

upload_2020-3-13_9-15-18.jpeg

This is just speculation based on the above photo. Those who actually own it please correct me if I’m mistaken.

The lug arrangement looks to be very strong and the cocking indicator/striker is a nice feature.

The Mauser website lists a manual cocking system as an option too. Any experience with this? Is it a manual cocker as they state or is it a decocker? I understand the safety on the Blaser allows complete decocking on a loaded chamber in a way that is considered safe. Is this similar?

Attachments

• upload_2020-3-13_9-15-6.jpeg
    upload_2020-3-13_9-15-6.jpeg
    418.9 KB · Views: 121
The M18 gets some praise in the budget gun market but it does feel cheap. All of the guns in this class are interchangeable to me. Defining one as any better or worse than the others is splitting hairs.

The M12 does look nice. The extractor/ejector arrangement looks strange to me. Have not held one but the pictures make it look mechanically difficult for the ejector to push the casing away from the extractor (appears to be right next to the extractor). It also looks to be ejecting at such an angle as to launch the casing into the scope turret.

View attachment 335648

This is just speculation based on the above photo. Those who actually own it please correct me if I’m mistaken.

The lug arrangement looks to be very strong and the cocking indicator/striker is a nice feature.

The Mauser website lists a manual cocking system as an option too. Any experience with this? Is it a manual cocker as they state or is it a decocker? I understand the safety on the Blaser allows complete decocking on a loaded chamber in a way that is considered safe. Is this similar?

I can report that my M12 is one of the smoothest cycling rifles I've ever owned. No problems getting rid of spent casings. I have the Mauser QD rings installed and no problems hitting the scope on exit. It's butter smooth compared to my old Winchester, the one I backed up over with my truck :( The M12 doesn't have a manual cocking mechanism like the Blaser or Sauer 404's do, at least mine doesn't. It has a three way safety system. It's honestly hard to find any faults in the M12 at its price level.

The bolt and action on my M12 is like greased ice. Smooth and precise. I have never had any problems with it, nor any brass hitting my scope. It has a short bolt throw, there is never a fight with it and it feels slick and well engineered.

My opinion is quite different from others stated above. It is not an expensive rifle...but is the best under $500 rifle I have ever seen. Need a truck gun? Need a loaner? Need a gift for a teen who could break an anvil? There is a lot of value here. I think the M12 (which I own) is an even better value at under 9, but a different price range. You do not get what you pay for, but you do pay for what you get......FWB

My opinion is quite different from others stated above. It is not an expensive rifle...but is the best under $500 rifle I have ever seen. Need a truck gun? Need a loaner? Need a gift for a teen who could break an anvil? There is a lot of value here. I think the M12 (which I own) is an even better value at under 9, but a different price range. You do not get what you pay for, but you do pay for what you get......FWB

This I would have to agree with, for the money the M18 is a good choice....depends on what and who you are buying the rifle for....for a personal hunting rifle though, M12 all day long.

It was an M18 in .308 I used in Namibia last summer. For the price it is a very good gun. Very accurate with most of the factory ammo I put through it.

I didn't have a bolt gun with a removable magazine so bought a M12 on that sale the end of the year. Haven't shot it yet but it feels great and looks better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bkNen

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross