Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Europe
Member of
NRA (Life), True Green Alliance
Hunted
USA, Africa, Canada, Europe
Has anyone has had any experience with the .45-70 Underwood 350gr +P ammo on African plains game? A friend and I are headed to ZA in August and he is planning on taking his lever gun and this particular load.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Tom

No experience with underwood 45-70...

But I have shot a sizable amount of big bore Underwood ammo (mostly 458 socom)...

My experience is it’s pretty true to specs and that it has been utterly reliable and well made...

I was just looking to buy a few more boxes yesterday actually.. but couldn’t find any available (no surprise!)...

I can't tell if you are using the Underwood Xtreme Penetrator or a cast bullet. For what its worth I tested the Xtreme Penetrator against the old cast bullets (both Underwood loads). The cast bullets penetrated farther. I don't know which would do more tissue damage. I've heard the argument that the Xtreme Penetrator looks really impressive in ballistics gel and less so in flesh. Just something to consider.

Thanks--it's the Xtreme Penetrator he's thinking of.

Thanks--it's the Xtreme Penetrator he's thinking of.
The idea is to bust the heart. I'd use a copper solid before I'd use anything by Lehigh Defense. You're better off with a hard cast solid. They penetrate deeper and won't deflect. The Xtreme Penetrators rarely penetrate straight, even in just ballistic gel. They always turn.

For self defense, in my backup carry pistol, I have the Underwood ammo loaded with the Xtreme Defender bullets, but people aren't as thick and tough as most animals. I have friends inside Underwood and Doubletap, both are top rate ammo.

I would show the animals more respect and not go testing Gimmick bullets on them, that you haven't tested for yourself. Not trying to be an ass, just giving my 1.5 cents worth.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HongPilgri

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg