Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
Member of
Diamond Z Outdoors
Not looking for an outfitter, but I am really interested in hunting caracal with hounds sometime soon (like as soon as I can afford to get back to Africa) I run hounds in the US for mountain lion and bobcat. Curious to talk to people that have ran cats in Africa (or any African houndsmen) and see how closely they compare. If you would like a reference , here is a link to a lion hunt I recently completed showing a pretty typical lion hunt for us as a comparison for anyone who hasn’t hunted mountain lions.

They use hounds a lot in the Eastern Cape.
Typical guided hunt in RSA does not have the hunter running after the dogs. They are called after the cat is treed.

I enjoy both versions in RSA: chasing Caracal with the hounds man and stalking the tree.

Leopard with dogs is a comparable to Cougar hunting though. You are going to be running the trail. Zimbabwe allows this type of hunt. It is not for the faint of heart. Leopards are not Cougars. The cat species attitude difference, if not treated with respect, can be rather painful for everyone involved.

Hope someone else can chime in.

I've only witnessed my neighbor's dog do it regularly (with other neighbor's cats!)

I had the same question. I wonder if Leopard acts more like a Jaguar when treed? Jags are way more aggressive from what little I have seen.

They use hounds a lot in the Eastern Cape.
Typical guided hunt in RSA does not have the hunter running after the dogs. They are called after the cat is treed.

I enjoy both versions in RSA: chasing Caracal with the hounds man and stalking the tree.

Leopard with dogs is a comparable to Cougar hunting though. You are going to be running the trail. Zimbabwe allows this type of hunt. It is not for the faint of heart. Leopards are not Cougars. The cat species attitude difference, if not treated with respect, can be rather painful for everyone involved.

Hope someone else can chime in.

That’s good to know, thank you for the reply. Getting called to just come shoot one out of a tree doesn’t sound interesting at all. I’d want to actually take part in the chase. Leopard with hounds is high on my priority list, however WAY out of my price range for the foreseeable future.

I've hunted caracal with hounds in the Eastern Cape. Got a nice caracal, but I wouldn't rush to do it again.

The problem is that caracal can move quickly and elude the dogs, so even if there is a track, you aren't called until the dogs are well on it and the handler has virtually seen the caracal. You then drop whatever you're doing and try to get to the general area as quickly as possible. When I got there - and this is the norm I was told - the caracal was already treed. So you look up, shoot, and assuming you don't screw it up, you're done. Frankly, not terribly exciting, and I'd say of more interest to those who are just looking to add a species to a list. It is always possible that the caracal will get out of the tree and the hounds will start to chase again, but that's pretty unlikely when there's a bunch of them at the bottom of the tree making an ungodly noise.

Note that I've hunted mountain lion and while the ultimate result is similar - you shoot a cat out of a tree - I was involved in the hunt from finding the kill to setting the dogs loose and having a virtual heart attack chasing after them in snow racing from an inch to a foot. The cat even changed trees to a more comfortable one when it saw us. It was real work. But still not leopard with hounds.

I've also taken caracal on an opportunistic basis, while hunting night critters. I probably spent less time on the actual hunt - from seeing the eyes to identification to the shot was probably less than 5 seconds - but it wasn't a great shot and though it would have been fatal in short order, I had to chase him with a flashlight for a bit to seal the deal. I was more proud of that than I was of shooting a caracal out of a tree.

I've hunted caracal with hounds in the Eastern Cape. Got a nice caracal, but I wouldn't rush to do it again.

The problem is that caracal can move quickly and elude the dogs, so even if there is a track, you aren't called until the dogs are well on it and the handler has virtually seen the caracal. You then drop whatever you're doing and try to get to the general area as quickly as possible. When I got there - and this is the norm I was told - the caracal was already treed. So you look up, shoot, and assuming you don't screw it up, you're done. Frankly, not terribly exciting, and I'd say of more interest to those who are just looking to add a species to a list. It is always possible that the caracal will get out of the tree and the hounds will start to chase again, but that's pretty unlikely when there's a bunch of them at the bottom of the tree making an ungodly noise.

Note that I've hunted mountain lion and while the ultimate result is similar - you shoot a cat out of a tree - I was involved in the hunt from finding the kill to setting the dogs loose and having a virtual heart attack chasing after them in snow racing from an inch to a foot. The cat even changed trees to a more comfortable one when it saw us. It was real work. But still not leopard with hounds.

I've also taken caracal on an opportunistic basis, while hunting night critters. I probably spent less time on the actual hunt - from seeing the eyes to identification to the shot was probably less than 5 seconds - but it wasn't a great shot and though it would have been fatal in short order, I had to chase him with a flashlight for a bit to seal the deal. I was more proud of that than I was of shooting a caracal out of a tree.

I see, well I guess if I’m going to do it I’ll have to make it clear I’d prefer to be a part of the whole hunt. Realistically, I really just want to take part in the chase, actually harvesting the cat isn’t what it’s all about for me.

I see, well I guess if I’m going to do it I’ll have to make it clear I’d prefer to be a part of the whole hunt. Realistically, I really just want to take part in the chase, actually harvesting the cat isn’t what it’s all about for me.

@Sol Griffith , You are welcome to drop me a message. I will be more than happy to help you with what you are looking for in a Caracal hunt.

Take Care,
Marius Goosen

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Marinayzi

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Nick BOWKER HUNTING SOUTH AFRICA wrote on EGS-HQ's profile.
Hi EGS

I read your thread with interest. Would you mind sending me that PDF? May I put it on my website?

Rob
85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you