Anyone from NE Washington?

5shot

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
I'm thinking about building a 375 H&H Bear Rifle, but have never fired anything bigger than my 35 Whelen AI or my 300 WBY. I want to build a lighter, shorter, handier rifle. Not too light, and probably around 22" barrel length. Express style sights and a synthetic stock. Might even go Stainless (gasp) as it gets very wet in the NW.

Anyone here from the Spokane area? I'd like to at least shoot a 375 before I decide to build one on the lighter side of the spectrum. Of course I'll pay for the ammo...

Thanks,

John

Sir I have 375 H&H which I would tell you shoots just a little stouter than my 300 winmag. The 375 is not bad to shoot at all in my opinion.

That's what I have read. My 300 WBY is one of the original Fibermarks, with the McMillan stock and solid rubber butt pad. It definitely thumps you a bit, but never really bothered me too much. Haven't put it on a scale yet, so not sure what it weighs.

I have both a 35 Whelen and a .375 HH. The 35 is somewhat lighter than the .375 ( 8.5 lbs. versus 11) but it is much softer shooting. The recoil from the .375 is very acceptable, but I need a shoulder replacement and I find it just tips the scales into the pain threshold especially after several rounds.
I would choose the Whelen for your intended purpose.
That said, if you are in my area (North Okanagon BC, Armstrong) I would be only too happy to go the range with you, and throw in dinner and beers around the fire to boot! Bullets are on me...

Or you could buy a 375 Ruger..........:) Same performance of the 375 H&H in a handier size rifle. Not a lot of difference in shooting my 338 WM and 375 Ruger.

There is one listed on GB: https://www.gunbroker.com/item/794001141

upload_2018-12-31_16-32-14.png

BTW, I did live in the Spokane area as a kid. I live on Fairchild AFB.

Back when the B52s were darkening the skies. I don't think it's a SAC Base any longer. BTW, if you have any mysterious illnesses, they found toxins in the water supply from fire retardant and you should let your DR. know.

I know the Ruger is more practical, but the H&H is calling to me. I'm going to check them all out at SHOT next month.

Or you could buy a 375 Ruger..........:) Same performance of the 375 H&H in a handier size rifle. Not a lot of difference in shooting my 338 WM and 375 Ruger.

Consider me to be absolutely SHOCKED that you’d be recommending that someone purchase a .375 Ruger! :p

(I’m about to buy one too.)

I kinda forgot about my big boomer...Ruger #1 in 45-70. I shoot it with 434grn Hard Cast bullets over a max charge of H335 at something close to 2,000 FPS. I don't suppose that would be a whole lot different than a 300grn 375 @ 2,600 FPS.

I have found the 375 H&H to actually be less "sharp" than the 3oo Win mag.
There is more power behind the 375 but it pushes you back differently.
Wish I could explain it better.

You'll end up with someone closer than me offering to let you shoot one.

5shot, I'm not exactly Spokane area (Wenatchee) but if we can meet you'd be able to shoot a few different large bores, including a 375H&H so that you could get an idea of how the various cartridges recoil. PM if interested.

Consider me to be absolutely SHOCKED that you’d be recommending that someone purchase a .375 Ruger! :p

(I’m about to buy one too.)

You sir are a wise man!

I have found the 375 H&H to actually be less "sharp" than the 3oo Win mag.
There is more power behind the 375 but it pushes you back differently.
Wish I could explain it better.

You'll end up with someone closer than me offering to let you shoot one.

I agree and I find that the 300 has a very distinct “sharp” recoil whereas my 375 seems (note seems) to be a big “push”.

Tend to agree my 375HH is more of a push than even say my 7mm Rem mag which is more of a slap
My vote, yup u need a 375 HH

I'll be loading up some of the 400+ grn loads for my 45-70 Ruger #1 and heading out for some winter shooting. It wears an NECG Peep, so it is as light as it gets. I'll run them across the chronograph so I can calculate the recoil energy.

Appreciate all the responses.

I agree and I find that the 300 has a very distinct “sharp” recoil whereas my 375 seems (note seems) to be a big “push”.
I hear that alot and I have to respectfully disagree. Your mileage may vary but...my .375 h&h weighs in at just about 10 lbs scoped where my .300 win mag is around 8.5. Both are Winchester M70s with a straight comb. Honestly, I have to say they are both a big push when shooting off hand, the difference becomes quite noticeable off the bench though. There, the h&h is not a big push, it is every bit of a solid jolt to me. The difference is that I can probably shoot 25-30 rounds of .300 win before my groups open up from recoil fatigue. The H&H is more like 15-20 max and by then, off a bench, I usually have got the beginnings of a recoil headache.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VioletteFg

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!