AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Articles
Hunting reports
Africa
Hunted
RSA (Limpopo), USA , CAN
Saw that United has a non stop to JNB now from EWR. Anyone fly with them over to SA yet? Any issues with the firearms checks?

Have a lot of United miles...

Have not flown with them internationally yet, but its a route that I am seriously considering in order to get to the USA in the future.
I speak under correction, but think that they are only starting that route in March 2021.

@KMG Hunting Safaris Ive flown United quite a bit to Asia and always had good flights. Might need to give them a go here after I confirm their firearms policy if different procedure from domestic.

SAA was a member of Star Alliance. United miles could be used for their flights. If they ever emerge from bankruptcy, I hope they remain in that group. I also have miles to burn.

Saw that United has a non stop to JNB now from EWR. Anyone fly with them over to SA yet? Any issues with the firearms checks?

They now have 4 African nonstops. I won’t go through NJ because I’ll be taking a suppressor. Make sure you know NJ gun laws in case there is a delay.
I do hope the United flights will help reduce prices overall to Africa.
Philip

Do you remember approx what time is arrival? Might save an overnight at a guesthouse

I’m booked on the United flight out of EWR to JNB in August. Arrives JNB at 5:45 pm. I’ve never flown United internationally before so just hoping for the best. I had planned on flying Emirates or Delta, but cost was about $1400 more on Delta and flight schedules really sucked on Emirates. So United it is.

For some, Qatar is another option, albeit with a stop in Doha. Round trip business from Philly to Joburg is around 2800, a few hundred more than Delta's crunch seats and now also with a stop. Economy from the same departure is less than 800. If the planets align, will be flying them later in the year.

For some, Qatar is another option, albeit with a stop in Doha. Round trip business from Philly to Joburg is around 2800, a few hundred more than Delta's crunch seats and now also with a stop. Economy from the same departure is less than 800. If the planets align, will be flying them later in the year.
What months are you seeing those prices? They will never be that cheap out of DFW! Looks like I’ll be comparing routes and prices every year since so much is constantly changing. I’d love to fly the Q Suite but I’d hate to put someone in coach on those two long flights.
Philip

What months are you seeing those prices? They will never be that cheap out of DFW! Looks like I’ll be comparing routes and prices every year since so much is constantly changing. I’d love to fly the Q Suite but I’d hate to put someone in coach on those two long flights.
Philip
I did a mid-April booking sample for those flights. Haven't checked July. I'm guessing prices will be determined by overall demand and the number of carriers going from the U.S. to Joburg. With United in the mix, that may help.

More the merrier. Keep these costs affordable to save funds for the hunt.

• United Airlines will fly from New York to Johannesburg for the first time on 3 June.
  • The new direct daily route comes amid an ongoing travel ban which prohibits South Africans from entering the US, unless classified as a National Interest Exception.
  • But the flights allow vaccinated Americans to visit South Africa without having to worry about any quarantine upon their return home.
  • Tickets are already on sale, with the cost of a roundtrip in economy starting at $792 (around R11,000).

• United Airlines will fly from New York to Johannesburg for the first time on 3 June.
  • The new direct daily route comes amid an ongoing travel ban which prohibits South Africans from entering the US, unless classified as a National Interest Exception.
  • But the flights allow vaccinated Americans to visit South Africa without having to worry about any quarantine upon their return home.
  • Tickets are already on sale, with the cost of a roundtrip in economy starting at $792 (around R11,000).
Wow, that should be good for the industry, things are coming together nicely.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.