Anyone done safari with young family?

Backcountryj.laf

AH member
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
A few weeks ago I started digging into my first trip to Africa. Since then I have spoken with so many people and collected so much information but also have so many more questions.

We have decided that our whole family is going to do a 3 week trip to RSA in summer of 2022. Im thinking about half of this will be hunting and about half a family vacation. I’m very excited about this but wondering if anyone has done a similar trip that would be willing to offer some information about their experience.

My family is outdoorsy and loves to be outside. I imagine that they will accompany me often during my time hunting but also won’t be up for long hours of walking like I will do this leaves me with the question of what can I expect for them.

some of the questions that come to mind are;

What is life like at the lodges? Are there things for the wife and kids to do if I’m away hunting? Will swimming pools be usable for a couple of Canadian kids in august? We are used to cold lakes?

how many days in a row should I plan on hunting before going breaking it up and heading to do some other things with the family?

we are going to plan a trip to Krueger, how many days should I plan for that and do you think an 8 year old will tolerate full days? Other than looking at wildlife what does Krueger have to offer?

what are some must do activities we should try to fit in while there as a family?

what are some of the possible negative things I should try to expect and plan for?

Thank you for your time. This place has been incredibly informative.

We took our son when he was 8. Pack a 22, let the kids shoot varmints and it’s all good.

A good way to turn the wife and kids off of hunting is to stick them in a lodge while you are off having a good time hunting.

My kids were not that young. But, life in the lodge is exactly what you would expect in a remote cabin. So, there is not a lot to do. Also, travelling with small kids that far is a thing to consider carefully. My wife and daughter went on their own side excursion to Capetown for a few days and that worked well. It left me and the boys to our own fun hunting. By the way, you will probably need the long form birth certificate.

The answers to some questions could be very individual, but:
In the lodge where I was, there is TV, in the camp there is Bar, swimming pool. There are horses, so horseback riding is an option.
But, staying in the lodge I would not reccomend.
There are animals all around. So, who doesnt hunt, can go somewhere on a tree stand, near waterhole, take photo camera, and enjoy free wildlifeshow, and take fantastic photos.

Speak with outfitter about all other options.

How old are the kids? Does your spouse like to hunt? (Even a little bit?)
I think there is possibility for a tremendous adventure for all ages, but the younger the kids, the less hunting.
I took my son at age 12. He really enjoyed the hunting, exploring, bugs, rocks, fire pits, steaks... actually his list sounds just like my list!
We added some national park tourism, a trip to the coast and fishing.
If you plan the even with your spouse, you’ll probably get a repeat. Make sure to keep her and the kids as involved in planning as you can, you are investing in your future ability to continue doing hunting trips as a family of you do this one right!

My wife hunts white tail and moose here. My boy would like to hunt something he’s 9 but will be 11 when we travel. My daughter is 6 but will he 8.

Investing in my hunting future is exactly what I want to do

Somewhere I have posted here about our family safari in 2017. My girls were 9,11,14 and my son was 17. We hunted, fed a village and gave away socks and soccer balls, had an elephant excursion, jumped in the pool, and invested in our family and the reality of hunting. We had an outstanding safari with Warthog Safaris in RSA.

11 years old will for sure be old enough to hunt. 8 is also probably old enough. If you can start practicing now, especially off sticks, they will be ready. You will have a great trip. Make sure the PH knows the kids ages, you can likely do some other small game hunting too.
I’d spread the hunt plan out amongst the family members, meaning let them take more animals than you do. That decision was promptly made for me by my PH. After I took a springbok on the first day, the PH promptly declared that my son was up next. I’m really glad the PH did that because my son was then much more involved, attentive and got to get a hunting education from a true expert.

Buy the animals of africa flash cards so the kids can learn what they look like and maybe even choose one or two to hunt. Definitely watch some Safari videos with them.

bring snacks (as stop at the gas station and let kids decide!) We call it “crisis chocolate”. That works for adults too.

Will only work if you take them and they all hunt too. The kids maybe an impala each, but that isnt enough to keep them un-bored, so add a couple of warthog. Maybe a zebra for your wife? That is a lot of non-hunting time for you, so I suppose investment is the right word. A few side trips to a cultural village and an interest site also. By the time this is all done you will probably get maybe four hunting days in yourself.
i have four daughters, i took them on many safari, fishing and camping trips to Mana Pools, Kariba etc and then many, many one day bird hunting forays, it is fun but a bit demanding. For the sake of the future, worth it.

Sounds like you are planning an amazing trip. I've had quite a number of those kind of Safaris. On some I actually allocate a guide to the Wife and Kids for days that they may not want to join in the hunt, and they go do ' stuff" on their own with their own guide. We are based in North Limpopo and in August you will definately be able to swim. We also have a camp in the Greater Kruger, where we can go around in an open Vehicle, so the kids will not be cramped up in closed vehicle for hours on end, we can stop and exit the vehicle at any time we want. For more info Please feel free to email me directly. info@spearsafaris.com. Attached is also a short insight on what the camps may look like.

Good day @Backcountryj.laf ,

A family trip to Africa is one of the most exciting trips one can plan for your family. I have several different options I can offer you and there is loads to do for the family while on safari.

Please feel free to PM me your email address and I can send you all the information.

Enjoy planning the trip sir.

All my best,

Jacques Spamer

@Backcountryj.laf

I took my wife and 13 year old daughter on safari a few years back and had one of the best family trips of our lives. We hunted with Limcroma Safaris that were recommended to us specifically because they cater to families.

The lodge was beautiful! Way beyond our expectations! My wife's jaw dropped upon arrival. My wife an daughter accompanied me out hunting on a couple of days which they enjoyed much more than expected. Everyday out in the bush is like doing a game drive. On the days they didn't hunt with me, the staff had arranged all kinds of day trips for them. They had a girls spa and shopping day, they did elephant back rides, they visited the local school and village, and went to a game park to interact with lions and cheetahs.

The folks at Limcroma were extremely accommodating and went way above and beyond to ensure my girls were as busy and active as they wanted to be. There was another other couple and a family of 4 at the lodge with us who also had similar types of a trip planned, and they did a couple of the excursions as an exclusive Limcroma group which worked out great.

Send me a private message if you want more details. I cannot recommend Limcroma highly enough for the type of safari you are planning.

Welcome aboard Backcountry.laf. There are a number of outfitter / sponsors that offer family friendly hunts. Your wife and son should have their "list" of animals to take (possibly including a cull or two.) Does your son hunt now? I had a 6.5 x 55 Swedish Mauser cut down and fitted out for my "grandkids." In the Fall of 2019 my then 9 year old grandson took a nice White Tailed Doe with it. All of you will need to be comfortable and accurate shooting off "sticks." I'd recommend you putting a list of your needs, expectations etc. together and ask for quotations. You will receive a number of replies, based on them you can ask additional questions. Your journey has just begun, enjoy it to the fullest.

We can also accommodate you with a family hunting trip combined with a vacation.
Both lodges have swimming pools and August in the Kalahari is already pretty hot so for Canadian kids the water will feel like bathwater.
Also have blinds where the wife can just sit with a good book and take pictures of the wild animals coming in to the water hole.
On other family safaris the clients told us that they enjoyed the springhare hunting at night almost more than the day hunts. Lots of fun.

Sincerely
Hans de Klerk

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ChadSimpso

Latest profile posts

Impact shots from the last hunt

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg