Anybody load 500 grain Swift A-Frames in their 458 Win Mag?

hntr58

AH veteran
Reaction score
Member of
NRA Life Member, Life Member SCI International , LVCSCI
Hunted
U.S.A. Alaska Canada Zimbabwe Namibia South Africa Argentina,Ireland,Spain
I loaded some Swift A-Frames in my 458'Win Mag. There came out of the gun pretty hard. Possibly pressure? Has anyone loaded any of these in their 458? If so, can you share the load you used? Thanks!!

When you say they came out pretty hard are you referring to the brass extraction? While I've not hunted with A-Frames I think they're a great bullet. But I have found the North Fork Bonded Cores although longer can accept more powder than the A-Frames in regards to pressure.

Yes, opening the bolt was hard and I had to tap the bolt back with something more than my hand to open it. I have loaded A-Frames with no issues in my 416 Remington but this one is giving me problems.

Obviously time to back off on the powder. What powder and weight were you using?

I got the part about backing off on the powder but was just wondering if anyone had a proven load for this bullet. I was loading 74 grs of H4895 with the 500 gr Swift

From what I can see in Hodgens site 74 grains of H4895 is the max load for a 500 grain bullet with a starting load of 70 grains. I would suggest to back off a couple of grains and check it again.

You have to remember that when the powder, or bullet manufacture come up with reloading data they usually do it in special built barrels and actions and they are usually just looking at pressures. When the reloader comes along and tries to duplicate the load a lot of times they will find that their firearm can not match what the factory is getting. That is why they suggest to start at the lower loads and work it up while watching for pressure signs in their rifle.

Thanks Jim, that's where I got the load from. Just thought there was something with this bullet that it needed to be loaded with less powder for pressure issues. I wanted to keep the velocity up if possible but a few feet per second won't be noticed I'm sure.

I got the part about backing off on the powder but was just wondering if anyone had a proven load for this bullet. I was loading 74 grs of H4895 with the 500 gr Swift

Well by obviously, I meant it was obvious to you too and no insult intended. FWIW to you, my Swift manual list 71gr of H4895 as maximum.

Thanks Phil, I will give that a try. No insult taken. Thanks again!

last i spoke with them, Swift recommends you use a 450gr bullet in the 458 WM. the 458 WM isnt capable of pushing the 500gr Swift A-frame quite fast enough to get ideal expansion. A-frames do tend to cause higher then average pressures so be careful when working near max loads.

im at work at the moment but when i i get home ill check my Swift loading manual and pass on some load data.

-matt

Thanks Matt, I appreciate it. That's make sense with the expansion since it doesn't expand till about 1600 fps.

expansion with impact velocities below 2000fps is very minor and the true performance doesnt kick in till you get impact velocities of 2100+. to get an impact velocity of 2100fps at 50 yards to need to be pushing the bullet roughly around 2300fps from the muzzle.

my prefered bullet for the 458 WM is the 480gr Woodleigh. Woodleigh's tend to be softer and dont require a great deal of velocity but from what ive read they are still tough enough to handle large and dangerous game.

-matt

I talked to the owner of Swift bullets today. He did recommend 450gr A-Frames. He said you can use 500 gr A-Frames but they are much longer and obviously you can get the 450s running a bit faster. Not as much pressure. He did say that they open up around 1800 fps.

I talked to the owner of Swift bullets today. He did recommend 450gr A-Frames. He said you can use 500 gr A-Frames but they are much longer and obviously you can get the 450s running a bit faster. Not as much pressure. He did say that they open up around 1800 fps.

Don't have my manual in front of me but whether it's the 450 or 500 gr version, I would think that inside 100 yards where you'd be taking a shot on a buff you'd easily be at 1900 fps or better much less 1800 fps.

That's exactly what he told me Phil. I have to decide what and how far I want to shoot it. For what I want it for I think I'm going to be alright.

Still having problems with most loads out of this gun. I'll have to try starting at the lightest load and work my way up slowly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
outlookindia012

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg