Any PHs using a Krieghoff Classic double?

Bushpig4Ever

AH enthusiast
Reaction score
Media
Hunted
Germany, Slovenia, Sardinia, England, Namibia, Zimbabwe, South Africa
I wonder whether any PH is using a Krieghoff double. Some people very much dislike the cocking device. How is that with the professional hunters?

I spoke with Mark Sullivan about this once. He doesn't like them at all due to the fact that it's not a fluid motion bringing the gun up to the shoulder and cocking it at the same time, like you would with a regular safety. He said most people tend to cock the gun while walking up to take the shot, which leaves you walking around with a cocked, loaded gun, with no safety on, several seconds before you're actually ready to shoot. Makes sense to me I guess. But, on the other hand, I've seen alot of PHs carrying them in hunting videos. I'm sure it's all about getting used to it, and only using that type of gun exclusively.

I have a Blaser S2 and an R8 - essentially the same system and not an issue at all once you are familiar with it. I cock the rifle unconsciously as it comes to the shoulder (surprise - yet another thing that I can disagree with Mark Sullivan about). Jamy Traut (.500) and Nick Nolte (.470) stake their and their clients' safety on the Krieghoff every day. It is far and away the safest system on the market.

Our own Mike70560 has a wonderful clip of him utilizing the cocking slide on his K-Gun. Worth looking at. https://www.africahunting.com/threads/its-a-sickness.6120/#post-36832

Last edited:
I’m not a PH but love my Krieghoff double. The cocking system might take some getting used to for someone acquainted with traditional safeties but it does works well. I cock it when I’m bringing the gun up to the shoulder and it is now pretty much automatic to me. I also use a Blaser R8 but prefer the cocking system of my double. I use a thumbhole stock Blaser and I can cock that rifle in any position as long as I’m holding the pistol grip but with a straighter grip of my double it would be hard to cock it without lifting my hand once at the shoulder, but cocking while bringing it up is very easy and natural.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JameShiple

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!