Any known Brno ZKK 600 / 602 peep sight and QR scope mountings?

Quinton

AH member
Reaction score
Member of
NHSA, GOSA(South Africa) GOAN (Namibia)
Hunted
Namibia, South Africa
Good day all.

I've recently acquired a BRNO ZKK602 action after unsuccessfully trying to source a pre '64 action for an upcoming .375 H&H build.

It is a later version without the pop-up peep sight and in a very good condition.

Not long after I managed to secure a 1972 pop up ZKK600 action (originally from a 30-06) and soon after that another 602 with .375H&H magazine but with a peep sight. The last two have the same straight set trigger, which I quite like.

The last one will need some work since it jams when I cycle the bolt too enthusiastically. I may have. found the problem on the stop at the tip of the extractor but my gunsmith can check that out for me.

So now that I have three actions, I'm thinking taking the long-term view of proceeding with the .375H&H build (awaiting licence on the Lothar Walther barrel) and using the last action I bought if we can get it to operate smoothly and reliably, then later doing a 30-06 and 458 Lott build on the remaining actions. Since the Lott is unlikely to ever be used with a scope, I was thinking of using that action instead and fixing a peep sight to the dovetail or an express sight on the barrel so no need to tuck the peep sight away.

But what to do with those peep sights? Since it's such a cool feature, I'd love to use it from time to time but since I'll be spending so much on custom rifles, I may as well scope them to truly enjoy the versatility of these wonderful calibres.

But here's the rub:

Are there any known mounts or solutions that will allow me to quickly detach and reattach the scope without changing the point of aim while clearing the way for the express sights to be used on demand?

I'd love to hear your thoughts.

*And as luck would have it, a few pre-64's became available shortly after I splashed out on these but I've already drank the Kool-Aid. No reason why these can't join the rest of the winchesters and Mauser in my collection.

ZKK Actions.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
There are many manufacturers of these mounts - Talley, EAW, Alaskan. They have the notch on the left of the rear bridge, correct?

Nice actions -all will make fine rifles.

Those are the ones. A small button housed in an indent on the right of the rear action.

That’s great news, thanks @baxterb, I was afraid I’d have to choose between the QD option or peep sight.

Looking forward to the build!

There are many manufacturers of these mounts - Talley, EAW, Alaskan. They have the notch on the left of the rear bridge, correct?

Nice actions -all will make fine rifles.

On the Winchester, use Talley QR bases and rings, get the detachable peep sight and build the stock with a grip cap staorage space for the peep sight.

On the Winchester, use Talley QR bases and rings, get the detachable peep sight and build the stock with a grip cap staorage space for the peep sight.

Thanks @Rell. My winchesters are topped with Warne mounts and rings and I did the same for the Mauser with QD to access the open sight. I want to do something similar for the BRNOs since the have that cool pop-up feature.

The Talley peep sight mounts on the Talley QR bases …

46BE6C16-3E67-4024-8052-759F6AECCB75.jpeg

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 2.07.25 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 2.07.25 PM.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 154
  • Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 2.07.24 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-11-27 at 2.07.24 PM.png
    7.2 MB · Views: 157
New England Custom Gunsmiths (NECG) make a receiver mounted peep backsight that will fit the Brno Model 21/22, ZG47, ZKK 600/601/602; plus the CZ550 and CZ557 rifles. They also make a peep for the smaller Brno and CZ centrefire rifles.
The NECG sights are also sold by Recknagel and listed in the Recknagel catalogue.

New England Custom Gunsmiths (NECG) make a receiver mounted peep backsight that will fit the Brno Model 21/22, ZG47, ZKK 600/601/602; plus the CZ550 and CZ557 rifles. They also make a peep for the smaller Brno and CZ centrefire rifles.
The NECG sights are also sold by Recknagel and listed in the Recknagel catalogue.
Is this Recknagel catalogue number 11830-0000? Going down same route with my 602.

I
Is this Recknagel catalogue number 11830-0000? Going down same route with my 602.
I cannot speak to that number BUT I have viewed the Recknagel catalogue on line, several times over the years. The NECG peep sight base is, essentially, the lower half of a ring mount; with the actual peep mounted where the bottom of the scope tube would normally be. It is a very well protected peep sight and obviously designed/built by hunters for hunters.

Just use the original BRNO ZKK 600, 601 or 602 mounts but then you need the zeiss jena scopes...They hold zero and they are quickly detachable. Here a ZKK600 original mount (Fitted to a ZG47) double square 19mm rails receiver tops ZG47 or ZKK are the same sizewise..I se you have some nice rifle actions, just posted a 1967 complete action here today..Cheers from Europe

39DA87CB-058B-4CD1-87E0-82B3752DB509_1_201_a.jpeg
752DA723-A8E5-41F7-BBAC-62F326F533D3_1_201_a.jpeg
2E09A065-B4E8-41D4-90E2-76CB2D839304_1_201_a.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
I use Warne qd mounts

Ve
Just use the original BRNO ZKK 600, 601 or 602 mounts but then you need the zeiss jena scopes...They hold zero and they are quickly detachable. Here a ZKK600 original mount (Fitted to a ZG47) double square 19mm rails receiver tops ZG47 or ZKK are the same sizewise..I se you have some nice rifle actions, just posted a 1967 complete action here today..Cheers from Eur
Very nice. Are the mounts specific to the scope?

I use Warne qd mounts
Hi @IvW
Won’t the bases get in the way, or are they different to the Warne setup for k98 actions? I find that the Warne mounts slightly obscure my iron sight on my .308.

Hi @IvW
Won’t the bases get in the way, or are they different to the Warne setup for k98 actions? I find that the Warne mounts slightly obscure my iron sight on my .308.
The mount comes of complete with the scope

Excellent. I’ll check them out. Since posting my gunsmith suggested EAW mounts as well. Both are available locally so when we get closer to the time, I’ll way up the options.

Managed to get hold of a Leupold VX-6 2-12. A bit on the high end at 12x but the 2-9x range should work well for my intended purpose.

These Brno receivers with 19 mm dovetails accept a variety of mounts,quick detachable and they will hold zero. I suggest steel ones..If you happen to have or find the original..there are plenty on ebay even with scopes, just search for zeiss ZF4 or Zeiss ZF6 you can get them at good prices, though zkk 600 are common. shorter ZKK601 and longer ZKK602 are harder to find. Good luck

These Brno receivers with 19 mm dovetails accept a variety of mounts,quick detachable and they will hold zero. I suggest steel ones..If you happen to have or find the original..there are plenty on ebay even with scopes, just search for zeiss ZF4 or Zeiss ZF6 you can get them at good prices, though zkk 600 are common. shorter ZKK601 and longer ZKK602 are harder to find. Good luck

Thanks Markkal. Ebay is not a simple option for us, since most shippers can’t touch anything gun related.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Silke2404

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

85lc wrote on Douglas Johnson's profile.
Please send a list of books and prices.
Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.