Tra3

AH elite
Reaction score
Media
Member of
SCI
Hunted
Namibia
I don’t recognize the round. It is clearly a blank, some type of junk? Or an actual training round?

can anyone tell me what caliber this is?

I’m this is part of the curios in my father’s house.

E110FA4D-3DA2-4603-8C0B-7E3D6106D2F0.jpeg
3CBCF15E-3977-48DB-BC5B-B4E02763AE7A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hold the round up to a live .308 round, if the same except for the bullet, it is a military blank 7.62x51 belted round for a M240 machine gun or the old M60. If it is the size of a current .223 round, then it's a blank 5.56 belted round for a M249 machine gun.

Yep... lake city manufactured 7.62x51 blanks in a US disintegrating belt for an M60 or M240 machine gun

Thank you! I’ll check size tomorrow next to a .223.

We are visiting my parents in Montana and doing an antelope and bird hunt. My father has collected a variety of really cool stuff over the years. The 14 year old sons with us are enthralled with the mix of firearms, swords, knives, etc. Even better is that it is a hands on experience!

Looks to be an M82 extended neck blank. The + in the circle is the symbol for NATO compliance. The 61 will be the year of manufacture. The LC, as per previous posts, is Lake City. Very nice memento of a past era.

When I was a kid, I lived at Fairchild AFB near Spokane, Washington. Every year, the base had an open house where the civilian community could see the airplanes and usually the Thunderbirds would do an air show. But the best part was an Army reserve unit would set up a belt fed machine gun and kids would line up and get there opportunity to squeeze off a short burst. Brass and clips would be all over the ground. After shooting a belt or two, they had to let the barrel cool and the Army guys would let the kids pick up the brass and clips. Sort of a GI version of an Easter egg hunt. I did this every year for about 6 years in a row and had a full size ammo bandolier.

Details on the M60

Last edited:
They were made in 1961. I am going to guess that they aren't stoner belts so it's 7.62x51 for the M60.

Correct.

The little "cross" symbol with the circle around it indicates its "NATO".. the LC tells you it came from the Lake City manufacturing plant.. and the 61 is the year of manufacture..

556 blanks from that time period have a crimped head like in the pic below..

Im 99.99999% certain what you have is a 7.62x51 belt..

The M60 and M240 can use the same disintegrating belt.. The M240 can also be modified to use a non-disintegrating belt that is different than the one in the OP pic..

1602686363682.png

I just checked next to a .223 round. Definitely not a .223 size case. This has been fun for us.

now the next research is why is the nato symbol a cross (plus sign)? I’m going to have to look that up.

Correct.

The little "cross" symbol with the circle around it indicates its "NATO".. the LC tells you it came from the Lake City manufacturing plant.. and the 61 is the year of manufacture..

556 blanks from that time period have a crimped head like in the pic below..

Im 99.99999% certain what you have is a 7.62x51 belt..

The M60 and M240 can use the same disintegrating belt.. The M240 can also be modified to use a non-disintegrating belt that is different than the one in the OP pic..

View attachment 371941
Yes you are correct.

it's how to get a free happy meal at McDs around the corner from the Paisley Palace! ;)

I don’t recognize the round. It is clearly a blank, some type of junk? Or an actual training round?

can anyone tell me what caliber this is?

I’m this is part of the curios in my father’s house.

View attachment 371809View attachment 371810
@Tra3
Looks like 1961 Lake City disintegrating link 7.62x51 blank ammo designed to be used in the M60 machine gun for training purposes.
I have a similar but in 30 ought six.
Bob

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HowardDove

Latest profile posts

check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Jackal hunt on triggercam,

Jackal hunt on triggercam,