Any Canadians fly through the US with firearms on route to Africa lately?

FTRTV

Reaction score
Hey guys I am in the process of booking my flights to Mozambique and would like to fly through the US with firearms. Has anyone done this with ease? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Hey guys I am in the process of booking my flights to Mozambique and would like to fly through the US anyone done this with ease? any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Prob won't be a problem unless you are bringing a rifle through... bow probably ok.

Just make sure that you know and can quote the regs and you will be fine. Also make sure not to take possession of your weapon anywhere other than within the customs in-transit area and you will be fine, if they make the mistake of sending your firearm to the arrivals area (US soil) do not touch them, inform customs and they will handle everything for you with no hassle. It is much simpler to ensure that they are checked through to destination in the beginning though.

I haven't done it but I emailed US Customs and received the following. BTW you will need Canadian Paperwork from Foreign Affairs for your rifle and scope. I decided that it was less grief to rent a rifle.

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Mark) 02/03/2014 04:54 PM
Dear Brian,
You will be OK if you transit the US, and the firearm is in your checked bags. You do not need a permit. You will probably be pre-cleared by CBP officers in Ottawa when you go to South Africa, and they will check the information. On the return journey you need to claim your bags in Atlanta, go through CBP, and then re-check for the flight to Canada. I hope this helps.

Mark

CBP ports:
Locate a Port of Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

CBP pre-clearance locations
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/preclearance/preclear_locations.xml

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

If you have any other questions or would like clarification on this response, please feel free to contact us either by calling our toll free number 877 CBP-5511 (227-5511) or if calling from outside the United States our toll number 202-325-8000 and speak with a Public Information Officer. Our hours of operation are Monday thru Friday from 9:00 AM-4:00 PM Eastern Time.

Please note that in our online tracking software, a 鉄olved status simply means that we have provided you with the best information we have to your question. There may still be steps you need to complete before your situation is resolved to your satisfaction. Those steps are explained in our response. If you need further clarification on those steps, please feel free to contact us back.

This email is intended for Informational Purposes Only, final determination of admission is solely at the discretion of the CBP Officer based upon the inspection at the time of entry.
Customer By Web Form 01/28/2014 11:22 AM
Hi,

I will be leaving Ottawa Canada on a hunting trip in South Africa.

Ottawa --> Detroit --> Atlanta --> South Africa and the reverse on the way home. My rifle will be checked through in Ottawa. Your website states "You must be in physical possession of your firearm" not possible on an aircraft. What paperwork if any do you require from me?

Thanks much

I haven't done it but I emailed US Customs and received the following. BTW you will need Canadian Paperwork from Foreign Affairs for your rifle and scope. I decided that it was less grief to rent a rifle.

Discussion Thread
Response Via Email (Mark) 02/03/2014 04:54 PM
Dear Brian,
You will be OK if you transit the US, and the firearm is in your checked bags. You do not need a permit. You will probably be pre-cleared by CBP officers in Ottawa when you go to South Africa, and they will check the information. On the return journey you need to claim your bags in Atlanta, go through CBP, and then re-check for the flight to Canada. I hope this helps.

Mark

CBP ports:
Locate a Port of Entry | U.S. Customs and Border Protection

CBP pre-clearance locations
http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/preclearance/preclear_locations.xml

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) INFO Center.

If you have any other questions or would like clarification on this response, please feel free to contact us either by calling our toll free number 877 CBP-5511 (227-5511) or if calling from outside the United States our toll number 202-325-8000 and speak with a Public Information Officer. Our hours of operation are Monday thru Friday from 9:00 AM-4:00 PM Eastern Time.

Please note that in our online tracking software, a 鉄olved status simply means that we have provided you with the best information we have to your question. There may still be steps you need to complete before your situation is resolved to your satisfaction. Those steps are explained in our response. If you need further clarification on those steps, please feel free to contact us back.

This email is intended for Informational Purposes Only, final determination of admission is solely at the discretion of the CBP Officer based upon the inspection at the time of entry.
Customer By Web Form 01/28/2014 11:22 AM
Hi,

I will be leaving Ottawa Canada on a hunting trip in South Africa.

Ottawa --> Detroit --> Atlanta --> South Africa and the reverse on the way home. My rifle will be checked through in Ottawa. Your website states "You must be in physical possession of your firearm" not possible on an aircraft. What paperwork if any do you require from me?

Thanks much

Just make sure that in Atlanta you claim your bags in the in transit area of customs, not arrivals. Huge difference, you don't want to go there.

very sound advice

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NickolasAr

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Early morning Impala hunt, previous link was wrong video

Headshot on jackal this morning

Mature Eland Bull taken in Tanzania, at 100 yards, with 375 H&H, 300gr, Federal Premium Expanding bullet.

20231012_145809~2.jpg