Any body own a 350 Remington Magnum?

Corlane sports in Dawson Creek BC has a very good supply of primed brass
I live in San Diego california and there is Zero brass & ammo here for the 350 remington magnum I just got off my ass and made my own ! what is the Brass going for up there NEW once fired ? cost ?

'Used to have a Rem 700C (22" lightweight LOL) in .350. I handloaded the hell out of it to find loads it actually liked, trigger job, bedding, magnaporting-AND it still kicked like a Mule. I couldn't squeeze any better than 2900 or 2950ish fps out of it (which is ok, but on-par with a shorter range .338 Win Mag.) My Son (as a mid-teen LOVED it-he once shot a deer and I think the near shoulder pushed the far one out the other side. He thought that was impressive. 225 gr Nos PT I think.) The recoil was severe on the impressive rounds and, as I picked it up 2nd hand from an old-timer, the rifling was wearing out and I let it go to one of the Nez Perce who just had to have one for short-range forest black bear with his two cronies that also had 'em. IF I were to ever get one again-that Ruger 77 is a much better platform, it'd be stainless w/ a heavier contour 25" bbl to get the V up a bit (my goal was 3,000 fps for longer range performance) and I'd have a hefty stock w/ mercury recoil reducers. I'm dead serious-this was on-par with heavy handloads in my (much heavier) 416-maybe worse! LOL with lo-po factory ammo, it was ok, but the groups were terrible. As many of the best gun writers were fond of saying...the 350 gets thrown into that "gun made by corporate committee," which is almost never a good thing. It should've had more heft, a longer bbl, etc. etc. It was one experiment I abandoned ship on. That guide gun and the older 600 series w/ the S-bolt-no different. They are too small (although the laminate stock and the stupid shotgun rib adds some heft.) One of those rounds that was NOT released properly...grouping w/ factory ammo was horrendous. Now I recall...after that, I decided that IF i ever get another .358, it'll be a Norma Mag with the characteristics described above (more heft!) I think I got rid of all the brass, dies, etc. but do have some .358 bullets left...The highest V and accuracy came from the newer western-style dual-base powders (TAC, etc.) as you could squeeze more into that relatively small case. If anyone is interested (you Have one and need it-not for entertainment lol) I can post those details as I keep a log of test results on everything...

p.s. now it's all coming back...LOL the exceedingly cheap Rem bottom metal (akin to aluminum foil and a box turkey call spring) would actually pop open upon firing and dump the remaining rounds in the mud and snow. Quoting my longtime farmboy friend neighbor: "I shit you not!" LOL still SMH today. With a lil rubbing compound in the action and rifling left in the stainless bbl and heavier lam stock, I guarantee the Ruger would run circles around the Rems. The 6.5 Rem Mag (in the same case as the .350) was before its time-a real performer in a longer bbl gun (and as it shoots 130-140 gr pills, none of the recoil issues whatsoever.) There's a stark difference between those that are trying to sell you something and those that ruffle some feathers telling you the honest truth....Don't shoot the messengers! The Rems I've come to love are OLD ones made with fine quality (I mean OLD using mauser and enfield-actions and nice wood,) and my favorite; Those made with no Rem parts whatsoever, but a more well thought out Rem-style using cutting edge materials and workmanship (those will also set you back 10X-20X more than a black Rem from Wallyworld for $500.) Bansner, Borden, Hillbilly and many out west and down in the S-SW. A custom .350 with much thought put into it-would work fine in a lot of situations. It was like any handloading project, but this "handloading" was skewed really heavily on the gunsmithing needs side. LOL Enjoy your .350 if you get one. A big cased .338 (or .375!) will do the same and more in a properly-designed rifle. The pressure must've been less on the larger Norma and even larger STA (most of the STs were on 416 Rem cases!) because they were better shooters (also heftier guns, and heft is so underrated!!!) ...and Carry a Big Stick!

Last edited:
I called Rem, but they're not returning my calls...LOL Darwin's theory also applies to gun mfrs. ;) 'have a pile o' Rem "Pro"-X adj triggers I'd like to sell. I'll give you explicit instructions on how to epoxy the adj/set screw (so it stays in-place at the desired poundage and doesn't fire whenever you don't like) and you sign the release and you've got yourself some dandy add'l. tin foil to play with! ;) LMAO. Now, my old 760 carbine pump....'Til death do us part! Many say the 700 was created to make selling guns more profitable...I'll buy that based upon my (factory gun) experience! There were no issues w/ the prior Mauser action guns. I've NEVER had a mauser-style action gun (incl. sporterized NOS, Ruger, Win-no pushover feed lol, A-Sq, Interarms, Shaw, etc. etc. etc.) that didn't perform excellently every single time after a trigger job and proper handloading! Rem? Ehhhhh. LOL Wby I consider a semi-custom factory gun and never had an issue w/ em either (Orig mausers, now push feeds, but meaty and accurized from the factory!) Order a custom Wby 350 Rem! ;) lol that'll get em laughing. When I hear "3 rings of Steel," I think washers...like the 3 i fixed my snowblower with just today! I'll slap a rem sticker on it...

Last edited:
OMT: Yes, omt! lol. The advent of the "Ed Brown" style push-feed looking action but yet CRF got me looking years back when Legendary Arms Works (LAW) released the Mod 704 action. I could've gotten one as my friend and super gunsmith Mark Bansner had a hand in the process...it was such a good idea they got more orders than they could handle (I think they swapped out to larger facilities 3x!!!) Anyway, I finally picked one up from a gun dealer in CA that was going through a divorce...I've only shot it (in a handload-test session) once so far, but this is an action style to seriously consider when purchasing a gun (or an action to be made into your fav cartridge!) Mine is in 22-250 and I already determined that the rifling isn't ideal for bullets over 55 gr (sad, as many will shoot the much better bc 60s,) but I can live with it for now. This rig could easily be converted to 257 whatev, 6.5 short mags, even the 350 Rem (re-barrelled of course, bolt relief if necess.) It's again what I consider a factory semi-custom rig...Already has the good action, stock and trigger-just needs the bbl of your desire....People will be letting go of theirs in this lovely economy. Grab one and you won't be sorry! :) Happy Corned Beef and Cabbage to ALL...I enjoy that more than a non hot-rodded M700.

LAW Mod 704 CRF Action (if you want a popular std caliber, the entire guns are available.) If you don't know what you're looking at, look at your push feed whatev as compared to this! I believe the M14 had similar...
Screen-Shot-2019-07-27-at-7.17.32-PM.png
M-704+Legendary+Action+Works+CRF+bolt.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Bansner (entirely custom guns) can build you this in whatever caliber you like, using whatever action available (he will tell you what to avoid!) He even has one in .404, for what reason I have no idea. LOL I have seen similar from Ryan Breeding out of CA. But it can be built w/ a CRF as described above. These are Shooters out of the box!
1678844579110.png

3500 Belted Blaster! (Avail. in Black Plastic @ Wallyworld) You are correct, and sadly it would.

3500 Belted Blaster! (Avail. in Black Plastic @ Wallyworld) You are correct, and sadly it would.
i can picture Jim Shockey himself talking about how it spared him from the charge of a whitetail, after the alfalfa baitpile ran out behind those crossed logs that were always placed 49.99 yards in front of his pop-up blind in a blizzard! lol As U. Ted often says, there are MANY Hollyweird videos out there (to sell things.)

The .350 Rem mag is basically a "short" 35 Whelen. Sure the .350 has a little bit of an edge, but not much.

Is it the 673 you like or the .350 Rem Mag? If you like the cartridge but would like a more traditional rifle Ruger is supposed to have it available this year in there M77 MKII. I'm not saying not to get the 673, to each there own.

BTW, thw original short mags are the .300 win mag, .338 win mag, 7mm Rem mag, .264 win mag. Since they are shorter than the H&H case.

Had several 350 RM over the years
Ruger 77 / Rem 700 / Rem 600 and Rem 660.
My last was the very sought after Rem 600.
Tremendous muzzle blast and recoil with my beloved 250gr Nosler Part but a great big bear rifle in Alaska especially with the Bush Pilots. The short 18.5” was great for close quarters combat. I sold all my 350 RM the only one left is the 6.5RM in Rem 600.

'Used to have a Rem 700C (22" lightweight LOL) in .350. I handloaded the hell out of it to find loads it actually liked, trigger job, bedding, magnaporting-AND it still kicked like a Mule. I couldn't squeeze any better than 2900 or 2950ish fps out of it (which is ok, but on-par with a shorter range .338 Win Mag.) My Son (as a mid-teen LOVED it-he once shot a deer and I think the near shoulder pushed the far one out the other side. He thought that was impressive. 225 gr Nos PT I think.) The recoil was severe on the impressive rounds and, as I picked it up 2nd hand from an old-timer, the rifling was wearing out and I let it go to one of the Nez Perce who just had to have one for short-range forest black bear with his two cronies that also had 'em. IF I were to ever get one again-that Ruger 77 is a much better platform, it'd be stainless w/ a heavier contour 25" bbl to get the V up a bit (my goal was 3,000 fps for longer range performance) and I'd have a hefty stock w/ mercury recoil reducers. I'm dead serious-this was on-par with heavy handloads in my (much heavier) 416-maybe worse! LOL with lo-po factory ammo, it was ok, but the groups were terrible. As many of the best gun writers were fond of saying...the 350 gets thrown into that "gun made by corporate committee," which is almost never a good thing. It should've had more heft, a longer bbl, etc. etc. It was one experiment I abandoned ship on. That guide gun and the older 600 series w/ the S-bolt-no different. They are too small (although the laminate stock and the stupid shotgun rib adds some heft.) One of those rounds that was NOT released properly...grouping w/ factory ammo was horrendous. Now I recall...after that, I decided that IF i ever get another .358, it'll be a Norma Mag with the characteristics described above (more heft!) I think I got rid of all the brass, dies, etc. but do have some .358 bullets left...The highest V and accuracy came from the newer western-style dual-base powders (TAC, etc.) as you could squeeze more into that relatively small case. If anyone is interested (you Have one and need it-not for entertainment lol) I can post those details as I keep a log of test results on everything...
@C.W. Richter
What bullet and powder were you using to get 2,900fps with mate.
Bob

The .350 Rem mag is basically a "short" 35 Whelen. Sure the .350 has a little bit of an edge, but not much.

Is it the 673 you like or the .350 Rem Mag? If you like the cartridge but would like a more traditional rifle Ruger is supposed to have it available this year in there M77 MKII. I'm not saying not to get the 673, to each there own.

BTW, thw original short mags are the .300 win mag, .338 win mag, 7mm Rem mag, .264 win mag. Since they are shorter than the H&H case.
@FrontLines
Load the 35 Whelen to it FULL potential and it leave the 350 rem mag in its wake.
I would like to see the 350 pushing a 310gn Woodleigh at 2,455 fps like the Whelen but alas it can't.
Bob

I have used the .350 Remington Mag. extensively in North America and Africa. I had Hill Country Rifles customize a factory new Rem 673 Guide Gun with Sunninghill bottom metal and a Dakota bolt handle. They glass bedded it and Cerakoted all the metal. It shot Superior Ammunition loads very well. It looks more of a beast than a thing of beauty, but it was handy on the dogsled hunting for Barrenground Muskox in Nunavut. I used it on Bongo in Cameroon and found it easy to carry at my side while negotiating the thick foliage of the forest. For that safari, I used an XS aperture sight because visibility and shooting distances never exceeded 15-20 yards and I shot the bongo at about 10 yards. This caliber was the original short magnum, and it's good for lots of game inside 200 yards. I like it mostly because it kills well, and most guns chambered for it were practical for many hunting situations.

Barrenground Musk Ox.JPG
Mark Audino - Bongo - Cameroon.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
@FrontLines
Load the 35 Whelen to it FULL potential and it leave the 350 rem mag in its wake.
I would like to see the 350 pushing a 310gn Woodleigh at 2,455 fps like the Whelen but alas it can't.

Bob
The .35W and .350RM have the same case capacity. So you're missing the point of the distinction between the cartridges. The .35W is for use in a LONG action; the 350RM is for use in a SHORT action (2.800").

The original concept of the .350RM was to stuff .35W ballistics - albeit with a limited range of useable bullet-weights - into a short-action, short-barreled carbine.

That means the .350RM tops out, due to the magazine length of Remmy M600s and M660s (and the descendant Model 7 actions, e.g., the M673) at about 250grn/260grn bullets, due to both practical COAL within 2.800" and the resultant powder compression from the heavier .358" bullets.

Now if your build a .350RM in a LONG action rifle, like Ruger did with its run of M77s decades ago, you can pretty much load the same weight bullets as the .35W. But again, useable case capacity between these two cartridges is nearly identical.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MUABritney

Latest profile posts

Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross