Any Alaska members?

Josh Neal

AH veteran
Reaction score
Media
Hunting reports
Africa
my wife and I travel to Alaska each year and I'm ready to plan a black bear hunt for our next trip. My only problem is my needs will be a little unique considering my wife will be tagging along and I won't have 7 days to commit to a hunt. I guess I'm looking for outfitters within a few hours drive of anchorage that hunts locally rather then drop camps.
Thanks for the info!

There are quite a few members residing in Alaska. Hope someone can help you out.

Hello Josh,

And, welcome to the best web site in the world.
I agree with Mekaniks - start out by contacting James Jeffery here within this forum.
Also, sift through the "DEALS & OFFERS" section, shown in the black background margin, near the top of the forum page.

Likewise, familiarize yourself with the "Black Bear" section of www.adfg.alaska.gov, it is good information.
Although, I disagree with their Sketch Artist regarding what the front paw print of a black bear looks like (IMO rather, I think they show strong resemblance to a huge dog-like front paw print).
Last but not least, give Andy Hawk a call sometime (Hawk's Gunsmithing - 907-562-0881).
Andy is a very professional and talented Gunsmith, who also has himself done some big game guiding here plus, he knows many of the Guides in Alaska.

I do wish you excellent luck on your hunt.
But, be aware that doing a short-on-time black bear hunt in Alaska can be compared to doing a short-on-time leopard hunt in Africa.
Just our unpredictable weather alone can keep you hunkered down in your tent or in the nearest motel for several days that, otherwise you would've spent watching the bait.
When I was hunting here (haven't hunted anything in Alaska larger than grouse and snowshoe hare, for well over 10 years now), I found that going hunting for minimum 10 days in the bush tended to insure that weather delays and all, I would get in at the very least, 3 to 5 days actually hunting, rifle in hand, boots in the mud.
The good news for you is that presently, we are experiencing what seems to be a bumper crop of all predators, including black bears, here in much of Alaska.

In parting, beware of deals that sound too good to be true.
Most Registered Guides here are very fine people and will bust their hip-boots to get you a reasonable shot at your quarry.
However, pretty much every year, the Game Wardens arrest one or two of them, for unlawful hunting/fishing activities and/or fraud.

Cheers,
Velo Dog

Last edited:
Welcome to AH, Josh !

Welcome to AH sir!

Thank you all!

I have been studying the www.adfg.alaska.gov site... it is very helpful indeed. I will contact the members mentioned above.

Thank you Velo Dog on your reply and wished luck as I will surely need it. We are spending 8 days in Alaska. My dream situation is to find a guide who hunts locally (within a couple hours or Anchorage, Wasilla, etc.) and meet with him daily for a hunt weather that be a boat trip up river to a bait site or short flight in somewhere. But I will have a hard time convincing my wife to camp in the hills for a few days!
I understand my needs might not be met with my short time frame, but that isn't going to stop me from trying!

Good luck on your hunt Josh. Velo dog has given you some great advise.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
VEXCatheri

Latest profile posts

Black wildebeest hunted this week!
Cwoody wrote on Woodcarver's profile.
Shot me email if Beretta 28 ga DU is available
Thank you
Pancho wrote on Safari Dave's profile.
Enjoyed reading your post again. Believe this is the 3rd time. I am scheduled to hunt w/ Legadema in Sep. Really looking forward to it.
check out our Buff hunt deal!
Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!