Any advise on hand carrying African Trophies to the US in baggage

Jmarlin17

Reaction score
While on a work trip to South Africa i had a very nice hunt near Alicedale (Eastern Cape). I managed a nice 48 inch Kudu and a Impala. I am traveling back again for another work trip and will have a chance to save money and fly back with the skulls and flatskins in my baggage to save money on shipping.

Has anyone done this before and have any advice?

I know i have to have proper paperwork for USFW and customs.

Any insight is much appreciated.

Jimmy

I might be wrong, but I dont think you can do this. I think that the trophies have to stay in country for 90 days after being taken.

I do it each year collect the previous years trophies usually just a few flat skins but have brought a couple of skulls ...euro mounts back ....However I am travelling to Iceland which is a whole lot more relaxed about these things one thing a 48 inch kudu is not going to fit in your bag and depending on the flight carrier can get more expensive than air freight

The trophies have been in country 90 days so i don't think that would be a problem. The horns measure 37 inches in length once removed from the skull. The 48 in is measuring around the spirals so packing in my bag will not be a issue. Thanks for the comments.

I am trying to figure out all documentation that i will from South Africa so i will not have any trouble with the USFW.

I don't think you can bring in un-tanned hides. These have to go through the USFW inspection and then delivered to a license receiving party, usually a tannery or taxidermist.

Now if the hides are tanned, then it's a different story (I think). Heck, you can buy a tanned zebra hide in the Joburg airport, so it must be okay.

Here's a couple of places to get some advice:
https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/ImportingPersonalSporthuntedTrophiesAfrica.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/importation/animal-products.html

Attachments

• ImportingPersonalSporthuntedTrophiesAfrica.pdf
    32.5 KB · Views: 159
Last edited by a moderator:
Check with Robert from SSI, he can give you all the info and advice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't think you can bring in un-tanned hides. These have to go through the USFW inspection and then delivered to a license receiving party, usually a tannery or taxidermist.

Now if the hides are tanned, then it's a different story (I think). Heck, you can buy a tanned zebra hide in the Joburg airport, so it must be okay.

Here's a couple of places to get some advice:
https://www.fws.gov/le/pdf/ImportingPersonalSporthuntedTrophiesAfrica.pdf
http://www.cdc.gov/importation/animal-products.html
You can also buy zebra hides and a few others in shops in Texas and Florida, and probably others I don't know about.

The trophies have been in country 90 days so i don't think that would be a problem. The horns measure 37 inches in length once removed from the skull. The 48 in is measuring around the spirals so packing in my bag will not be a issue. Thanks for the comments.

I am trying to figure out all documentation that i will from South Africa so i will not have any trouble with the USFW.

Export Permit, Taxidermy Invoice. Vet Certificate.

Hmmmm. This seems like a great way to justify frequent safaris- each trip, just bring back your trophies from the last trip! I like it!

Thanks for the help guys. Packed everything up carefully and flew back to the states. I cleared with usfw and customs in Boston. It was a very easy process only took 10 minutes and I was one my way. Also there was not a fee for any part of the process. The only paperwork that was reviewed was the 3-177, export permit and taxidermy invoice / certificate. The vet certificate was not needed since the trophies were finished.

Cool ... thanks for sharing!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdrieneRun

Latest posts

Latest profile posts

Because of some clients having to move their dates I have 2 prime time slots open if anyone is interested to do a hunt
5-15 May
or 5-15 June is open!
shoot me a message for a good deal!
dogcat1 wrote on skydiver386's profile.
I would be interested in it if you pass. Please send me the info on the gun shop if you do not buy it. I have the needed ammo and brass.
Thanks,
Ross
Francois R wrote on Lance Hopper's profile.
Hi Lance hope you well. The 10.75 x 68 did you purchase it in the end ? if so are you prepared to part with it ? rgs Francois